lucasmun09

Open Pandora's PND Files on Rasperry PI!!!

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Hello! So I had this really weired idea that came across to me today. Open Pandora is a open souce and linux base handheld system. Well, in that thing, there are these files with PND extensions. I assumed that since the Open Pandora and Raspberry Pi are both running Linux, I was wondering if there was a way I can run these PND files on the Raspberry Pi......

Any Ideas are welcome!!!!!

OtherCrashOverride

Re: Open Pandora's PND Files on Rasperry PI!!!

Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:22 pm

OpenPandora contains an armv7 processor with features not available on the armv6 in the Raspberry Pi

lucasmun09

Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:44 pm

OtherCrashOverride wrote:OpenPandora contains an armv7 processor with features not available on the armv6 in the Raspberry Pi
That wasn't what I was asking... I asked if there was a way to run PND files despite the certain differences......

OtherCrashOverride

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:20 pm

lucasmun09 wrote:That wasn't what I was asking... I asked if there was a way to run PND files despite the certain differences......
Mount the PND file.
Launch the executable.

lucasmun09

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:16 am

OtherCrashOverride wrote:
lucasmun09 wrote:That wasn't what I was asking... I asked if there was a way to run PND files despite the certain differences......
Mount the PND file.
Launch the executable.
didn't know it was that easy xD

panik

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:25 pm

I fiddled a little bit with running .pnd's on a BeagleBoard: http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/t ... agleboard/

Not long after that, I received my Open Pandora so the need for it went away (actually it was long after that, but the Open Pandora project taught me patience).

Libpnd is a very nice system for when you would swap an SD card to 'install new apps'. It works great for the Open Pandora. On the Raspberry Pi I don't see it as very useful, except maybe when you had it looking for .pnd's on a USB stick or something.

Useful links were given by helpful people. This one for example: http://pandorawiki.org/Libpnd_hub
Microcontroller addon boards and software for Raspberry Pi A+/B+/Pi2:
- ARMinARM: ARM Cortex-M3 (STM32)
- AVRPi: ATmega32U4 & ATmega328 ("Arduino")
http://www.onandoffables.com

Forgotten01

Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:56 pm

I realize how old this post is but with the introduction of the Pi 2, how would one go about mounting and running PNDs?
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.
Scott Adams

panik

Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:23 pm

Forgotten01 wrote:I realize how old this post is but with the introduction of the Pi 2, how would one go about mounting and running PNDs?
It would be the same as before, except this time probably more .pnd's will work. :D

As @OtherCrashOverride mentioned, mount the pnd and launch the executable. Something like this would be a good start:

Code: Select all

mount -o loop /home/pi/example.pnd /home/pi/some/dir
cd some/dir
./example
Some scripts probably need to be fiddled with (paths to application specific content edited).

Thanks for bringing this up again. Having an "Open Pandora OS" (Angstrom) SD card for the Pi would be kicker!

Forgotten01

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:08 pm

no problem! currently I am trying to get ET legacy to work, I've gotten pretty far, but It's asking for libGLES_CM.so and I cannot figure out where it is looking for the file
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.
Scott Adams

panik

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:42 pm

The gp32x topic I linked to earlier is hard to reach (seems to be gone, only on google cache), but when I tried it was on a beagleboard (revision C4@720 Mhz) with ubuntu-minimal-armel 10.04 and xfce4.

I had to get some files from the Open Pandora repo: http://www.open-pandora.org/firmware/. Others where available on the Ubuntu repository with apt-get. The OpenGL ES SGX drivers came from TI, needed registration on the website and were a P in the A to install.

But I'm not sure if I ever got OpenGL ES applications to work (don't really remember, it was 2010. Time flies. Sheesh!), but had good results with penjin-based games, Snes9x, Classic Zelda, and gngeo (Metal Slug!).

Sorry for not being able to be more helpful but if you ever get ET legacy running on the Raspberry Pi, please also have a go at Half Life 1: http://pandoralive.info/?p=5029.

Forgotten01

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:06 am

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but what I am doing is extracting the PND's content and then extracting them into a folder on my pi's desktop, I will try mounting them later, I need a break
Scott Adams

ptitSeb

Tue May 19, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi,

I'm the porter of ET:Legacy (or Xash3D, i.e. Half Life) on the Pandora.
I'm afraid everything 3D related will not be plug'n play because the 3D part of the RPi(2) is completly different.
The Libs don't have the same name (as already noted), and the initialisation sequence is different too.

For ET:Legacy, it will need a complete recompile, as it is a native GLES port.

For Xash3D, and everything glshim based (like my launcher for Minecraft), you need, at least, a RPI2 version of glshim (and you'll need my fork for some of thoses games). I know it doesn't compile for now, but it should not be too difficult, for someone with the hardware, to make it run.

Return to “General discussion”