chrisx

Re: $62.84 for my Pi?? What the Heck Farnell!?

Wed May 02, 2012 4:36 pm

Considering this post, I'm being overcharged for my Raspberry Pi by $20.39.

Hopefully this will be a quick fix with a refund, however I have a sinking feeling that I'm going to get the run-around.

mkopack

Wed May 02, 2012 4:44 pm

Um, where are you in the world, and which site did you order from? Farnell Export, or a direct entity in your country (Like Newark in the USA) ? How much of it is shipping? Did you select overnight shipping or ground or what?

Just saying, there are a lot of variables and you're not giving us the info to really understand.

chrisx

Wed May 02, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm in the US, ordered on launch day at Export Farnell (only option for US customers when sale went live) and used standard delivery.

rmm200

Wed May 02, 2012 4:51 pm

Call customer support and let us know what they tell you.

I know I am expecting to pay $40 even on my order with Newark.

mkopack

Wed May 02, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm betting it's because you ordered from the UK, shipping to the US. International shipping isn't cheap… Those prices on that table are assuming that you are ordering from the local affliate, not from Export Farnell.

And you could have ordered from Newark just a few hours later (which is what I did…)

But yeah, call customer support and ask what's up…

chrisx

Wed May 02, 2012 5:22 pm

If that's the case, then that should have been communicated in the pricing updates from the link provided.

RaTTuS

Thu May 03, 2012 8:19 am

a swift email to the company involved will get you a better response than a forum post here
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu May 03, 2012 9:04 am

RaTTuS said:

a swift email to the company involved will get you a better response than a forum post here

Especially since Farnell/RS don't read these forums....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

chrisx

Thu May 03, 2012 10:33 am

Of course I''ve contacted Farnell; however this shouldn''t be happening in the first place. Hopefully this thread will help notify others in the same situation.

Edit: but it"s nice to see an admin of this site take this seriously.

RaTTuS

Thu May 03, 2012 10:41 am

well no it shouldn't be happening but you could of said you have contacted them in the initial post as it comes across as a rant.

and, with respect, there is nothing the admins here can help you with
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Thu May 03, 2012 10:42 am

chrisx said:

Of course I'"ve contacted Farnell; however this shouldn"'t be happening in the first place. Hopefully this thread will help notify others in the same situation.

Edit: but it"s nice to see an admin of this site take this seriously.

What was the result of your emails with Farnell? I can see where the problem lies - you are paying for international shipping because you bought internationally, not locally. Have Farnell been able to 'redirect' your order to their USA subsidiary?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

obarthelemy

Thu May 03, 2012 10:47 am

I find that tax+shipment costs for the Pi a bit onerous. But in that case, you chose to order from abroad, so it's not surprise the costs are higher. I don't see how the manufacturer or the distributor are responsible for the fact that having a gizmo fly halfway around the globe is more expensive than getting it locally.

chrisx

Thu May 03, 2012 10:48 am

Still haven't heard back from them yet. And I purchased as directed by the Raspberry Pi website on launch day.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu May 03, 2012 12:07 pm

Have you tried phoning them? You'll get a quicker response if you do, just a thought.

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

anandr

Tue May 22, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi,

Was anyone on this thread able to get this issue resolved with export Farnell?

If yes, how?
I live in the USA and RS had no problems shipping my Pi from UK to CA for 4$ but I was charged 62$ by export farnell despite asking them not to ship without confirming the shipping costs with me first.

Export Farnell did not respond to email.
{As an aside this mess could have been avoided if they had a cancel order button someplace and I would have happily canceled my order, but export farnell went ahead and shipped without even updating the total cost on the order.}

anandr

Wed May 23, 2012 8:28 am

Update:

I finally managed to get a hold of one of the reps from export farnell(one Tim or Pim, had a very phone patchy connection). He assured me that I would be refunded the complete amount on returning the pi and would not be charged for return shipping as well.

I asked for a mail confirmation for all this, but as expected that has not come yet despite his very strong assurances during the call.

Regarding the amount, they charge 13 pounds to ship whereas RS somehow managed a DHL 2 day delivery for $4(Don't know how that worked out).

lewmur

Wed May 23, 2012 3:39 pm

anandr wrote:Update:

I finally managed to get a hold of one of the reps from export farnell(one Tim or Pim, had a very phone patchy connection). He assured me that I would be refunded the complete amount on returning the pi and would not be charged for return shipping as well.

I asked for a mail confirmation for all this, but as expected that has not come yet despite his very strong assurances during the call.

Regarding the amount, they charge 13 pounds to ship whereas RS somehow managed a DHL 2 day delivery for $4(Don't know how that worked out).
You obviously got one of the original 4700 units that were shipped direct from the UK. There are thousands of people who would have been deleriously happy to pay the extra frieght to get one of those. But I was assured that all future orders shipped to the USA will be shipped from their N.C. facility via UPS at regular ground rates.

grumpyoldgit

Wed May 23, 2012 3:52 pm

I find it highly amusing that there are tens of thousands of people out there who would sell their own grandmothers to the ravenous bugblatter beast of Traal, just to get their hands on a Pi, while quite a few who actually manage to get one, sniffily complain about the p&p or some other aspect, and want to send it back.

bob_binz

Wed May 23, 2012 4:35 pm

grumpyoldgit wrote:I find it highly amusing that there are tens of thousands of people out there who would sell their own grandmothers to the ravenous bugblatter beast of Traal, just to get their hands on a Pi, while quite a few who actually manage to get one, sniffily complain about the p&p or some other aspect, and want to send it back.
"Nowt so strange as folk" as my dear old grandmother used to say.....before I sold her to some hungry bloke from a far off place!

anandr

Wed May 23, 2012 5:15 pm

Well when the cost of the pi nearly doubles your budget you are bound to be a bit concerned.
Was I wrong to order from export farnell on launch date for lack of other options?

The fact is the least that they could have done is informed me of the shipping charge before actually shipping it, especially considering that I specifically requested it after reading the posts on this forum.
I was looking to cancel my order especially since I already got one from RS, but there was no such option available directly on the webpage of export farnell.

gladoscc

Wed May 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Seriously?

Day 1: "Here, buy Raspberry pi at [x] or [y]!"

Day x: "Pricing updates from [x], it will cost $[z]!"

Shipping: Charges $[z]+20 to credit card.

Isn't this misleading advertising / fraud or something? On launch day, nobody were told that "Raspberry pis will cost $62.84 as we're going to ship them from the UK and make absolutely no mention of that".

The-Excel

Fri May 25, 2012 3:29 pm

I was charged $60.80 myself with no indication otherwise that this would happen. I was told mine was shipped on Tuesday but I still don't have a UPS tracking number nor any indication that the thing is actually in transit except that they finally charged me by surprise. Also, according to this chart posted in March, the cost should be $40 and change "including delivery & excluding tax". I find it hard to believe that America would charge more than 50% in "taxes" for a European import.

I looked for some kind of sales e-mail and found none; I concluded that their only point of contact was a single e-mail address for the entire site as opposed to a specialized box that could handle my question sooner. I mailed them on Tuesday asking about the exorbitant shipping but I have yet to hear back. Instead, I had to look throughout the support pages myself and found something very unsettling that I could not possibly have known until now: Shipping to North America is 16.77 GBP and this was not communicated anywhere except in a hard-to-find FAQ page. I also believe they hid the U.S.-based Newark store intentionally so that we Americans would have be out to dry on day 1.

Compare this experience to RS Components: They didn't let me order until they actually had stock and when I did, the full price ($43.02) was shown to me up front and they even charged me exactly that when I submitted my order and not three weeks after. Farnell has been very unprofessional in handling my order with their surprise charges and failing to inform anybody that there is a North America subsidiary who I'm sure is much more capable of answering my questions (Newark even has a dedicated e-mail address just for sales taxes!). I even asked them if I could have my order transferred to element 14 thinking I would get a fairer shipping charge when I heard about the pricing matrix and they told me not to bother as that would not have my order delivered sooner (but it did mean they could charge their own prices and not what I heard in March from their own people in a different land). If I am unable to rectify the shipping cost and get the $40 price that their own representative promised back in March, I am returning it to sender if it ever shows up. In conclusion, if you are based in North America, the only continent on Earth that Farnell does not have a division for, do not order from them.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 25, 2012 4:10 pm

They do have a division for north america, it's called "newark".

In summary it seems to the problem is

1: in the initial confusion surrounding the launch a load of americans ended up ordering from "farnell export" rather than from "newark".
2: Farnell posted a table of prices including prices for north america, they gave no indication that prices would be different depending on whether people ordered from "farnell export" or from "newark"
3: The americans who ordered from farnell export got a nasty surprise when they got the bill.

The honourable thing for farnell to do at this point would be for farnell to refund the discrepancy between what was in the pricing table and what those buyers were charged and give all remaining farnell export orders from the US for the Pi the option to transfer their order to newark without losing their place in the queue.

But I don't think normal users have any way of getting through to someone high enough in the pecking order at farnell to make this happen. The best they can hope for is to get a resoloution for their individual case either from farnell or from their credit card company.

So the only hope for getting this resolved properly is for the foundation to put pressure on farnell to resolve it.

P.S. I'm not one of those suffering from this problem myself.

abishur

Fri May 25, 2012 8:00 pm

As plugwash said, this is an issue that needs to be taken up with Farnell. While I'm okay with people venting about it here, this is not the place that will get you resolution. Telling Sony that Wal-Mart overcharged you when you bought one of their TVs will not accomplish anything.

Beyond that, I made the same initial mistake on the order day where I ordered from the export division rather than from the US site (in fact on RS Component's end the US site didn't even have the pi listed for several days as I remember). When the time came, however, it's not like they could just charge my card, I had to go online, type in my confirmation code, and approve the charge amount prior to my card being charged. Isn't it the same for the people on this thread? I mean the complaint going on is that they increased the shipping cost because you purchased via their export site, but you chose to pay that price.

While a part of my agrees that it would be nice if they refunded anyone who didn't understand the reason for the expense and paid the full price, another part of me thinks that it still costs Farnell money to special deliver the pi for anyone who went through their export site and it's only fair to have people pay that overhead fee. (Of course, I have a third part that chimes in and says, if Farnell was smart they would have some code in place that recognizes when someone purchasing through the export site could buy it from one of their local branches and transfer them over, but whatcha gonna do?)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

gladoscc

Sat May 26, 2012 12:36 am

No, others didn't see the exact pricing, they entered their credit card and there was no "This will cost $62.84"

Return to “General discussion”