martinax85

No custom OS'es, custom linux distros etc?

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:51 pm

Are there yet no custom operating systems or custom linux distros etc for the RasPi? I'd love to run some alternative graphical OS that really does work, RiscOS not counted (not saying that it isnt good :P ).

I cant use any of the linux distro's as its just way too slow (not the keyboard / mouse power issue).

W. H. Heydt

Re: No custom OS'es, custom linux distros etc?

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:20 pm

So far as I know, ALL of the available OSs are "customized" to the PI, but Raspbian especially.

The speed problem is...because the BCM2835 is not a particularly fast processor. It's a 700MHz ARMv6. Compare and contrast to about a 300MHz Pentium II (or III?).

OtherCrashOverride

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:25 pm

Maybe a better way to say it is:
Raspbian is optimized for use with the Raspberry Pi. The performance of it is as good as it gets.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Also, if you find linux slow, it may be because of what you're trying to do and the limitations of the hardware rather than the OS. For example, CLI and TUI applications work much better than large bloated X applications running on java. So it may be a matter of finding what is actually lagging (since I can guarantee it's not the linux kernel) and using alternatives.

Heater

Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:01 am

martinax85,

What applications are you trying to run that are too slow?

Oakham

Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:20 am

TinyCorePlus may be of interest http://tinycorelinux.net/ports.html
Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

martinax85

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Nothing at all really, from when X is started, just about everything is soooo sluggish :oops: .

RiscOS works wonderfully in comparison (really, really great), but it would be awesome if someone created some "tiny linux booting x", where x might be a dos-emulator or some other emulated OS, just for the sake of making more "non-*nix"-OS'es available.

A bare metal "dos-emulator-OS" or equivalent would also be awesome :P .

Just a shame that I dont know either linux (beyond basics) or programming at all :( ...
... Just trying to think of some ideas.

jamesh

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:59 pm

martinax85 wrote:Nothing at all really, from when X is started, just about everything is soooo sluggish :oops: .

RiscOS works wonderfully in comparison (really, really great), but it would be awesome if someone created some "tiny linux booting x", where x might be a dos-emulator or some other emulated OS, just for the sake of making more "non-*nix"-OS'es available.

A bare metal "dos-emulator-OS" or equivalent would also be awesome :P .

Just a shame that I dont know either linux (beyond basics) or programming at all :( ...
... Just trying to think of some ideas.
LOts of threads in the bare metal forum for some information, or search for DOSBOX as that is nkow to work.

X is basically a difficult thing for accelerate, hence the money being put in to Wayland/Weston which is designed around acceleration.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

flyinghappy

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:20 pm

I'm running Arch with openbox and no desktop manager. It works pretty well, well enough that I can stand to browse in chromium as long as I don't get a bunch of tabs open or something. I also run XBMC on it and it runs well. I don't have any complaints on it (arch runs by default as just a terminal if that's what you want as well.)
Pi with ArchLinux running a minidlna/samba home server

LemmeFatale

Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Is Puppy Linux suitable?
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

Oakham

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:01 pm

LemmeFatale wrote:Is Puppy Linux suitable?
It is still in development, as is TinyCoreLinux I mentioned, but Tiny seems more mature in development.

Have you tried TinyCore yet ?

Have you read http://elinux.org/RPi_Distributions ?

jamesh

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:04 pm

The most worked on and most advanced distro is Raspbian. It may be slightly slower than some of the stripped out distros (but not by much) , but it does get the most attention.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

LemmeFatale

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:10 pm

Oakham wrote:
It is still in development, as is TinyCoreLinux I mentioned, but Tiny seems more mature in development.

Have you tried TinyCore yet ?

I haven't tried TinyCore myself (I've never even heard of it, in fact - is it any good?), but then it's of no interest to me, as I'm perfectly happy with Raspbian and RISC OS.

I read the wiki page some time ago, but again it's not of much interest as I'm not looking for anything. :P

Oakham

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:25 pm

My response was aimed at the Original Poster as your posting did not really state anything useful and it may of been confusing to OP :twisted: 8-)

martinax85

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:56 pm

Oakham wrote: Have you tried TinyCore yet ?

I have not tried TinyCore... As I found out about it, I thought that it would be a difficult OS to get started with (for a *n*x novice), but I might be wrong :oops: !!??

If I sit down with only a fresh TC, is it easy to set it up from the OS itself (without "side information")?
Are there any simple documentation coming with the TC image (if needed?)??

Oakham

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:09 pm

martinax85 wrote:
Oakham wrote:If I sit down with only a fresh TC, is it easy to set it up from the OS itself (without "side information")? Are there any simple documentation coming with the TC image (if needed?)??
http://tinycorelinux.net/4.x/armv6/README.txt

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.ph ... ,57.0.html

You will only be a Linux Newbie if you do not use it :o

SwanseaMick

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Martinax85,

As far as I can make out, you are having problems with X being 'sooo' slow.

The question that comes immediately to my mind, which no-one seems to have noticed, is why are you running X if you want speed.

One of the first things I learnt ( as a fellow newbie ) was to stick to the Command Line (CLI) whenever possible. I found that for such a slow processor, it was remarkably quick. And it now works well as a web server, using MySql, Apache and PHP, and is certainly no slouch at this task!

Mike

jamesh

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Oakham wrote:
My response was aimed at the Original Poster as your posting did not really state anything useful and it may of been confusing to OP :twisted: 8-)
No need for that...thought the reply was relevant enough...

kevinthefixer

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:07 am

Last I heard, Barry Kauler had just ordered a Pi with the intent of porting Puppy to its ARMV6 processor (28May2013). Barry is the owner/main dev of Puppy. Puppy was originally designed to run fast on slow hardware and I think is ideal for the Pi, but I do not think any distro that utilized the ARM to run X will be fast. If we could just figure how to use the GPU for that we'd be golden!

LemmeFatale

Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:01 pm

kevinthefixer wrote:
Last I heard, Barry Kauler had just ordered a Pi with the intent of porting Puppy to its ARMV6 processor (28May2013). Barry is the owner/main dev of Puppy. Puppy was originally designed to run fast on slow hardware and I think is ideal for the Pi, but I do not think any distro that utilized the ARM to run X will be fast. If we could just figure how to use the GPU for that we'd be golden!
I'd heard that also. And of course, there's the Puppy section of this very forum, which may be useful, if martinax85 hasn't yet seen it. :)

martinax85

Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:39 pm

Puppy would be awesome, once it is stable enough to consider done...

... And on another note, I have recently played around with TinyCore. It looks good, it works great, but I have two issues / concerns:

1) The package manager seems to be VERY slim to say the least, not much "useful" packages as such. Is there any way to add more repositories, or any place to find files for local installation?

2) I tried to replace the parts in the readme, involving flwm & wbar, and instead got the three packages for lxde. However, when the distro starts up, absolutely nothing happens, I just get the wallpaper and a solid X mouse cursor...

... Is there some issue to lxde with PiCore, or is it just me? :(

EDIT:

@SwanseaMick:
This is probably gonna serve me some flaming, but the main reason that I try to stick to X, is that I have always preferred using a GUI of some sort before text-based operations, not to mention I have no knowledge with linux cli usage :oops: ..!

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:28 pm

There's no distro that's going to make X any faster than it is on Raspbian. X itself is the bottleneck. While some things may run 'ok', a full X desktop environment like lxde running on a pi feels slow.

Return to “General discussion”