berighteous

Got a broken pi...

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:56 am

hi!
I got a pi when they first came out and I loved it (I'm building an arcade cab with it running pimame) so a few months ago I bought a 512mb one (used) on ebay. When I received it, I took it out of the box, looked at the nifty new mounting holes, then, being busy with another project, put it back in the box and stuck it on a shelf next to the other one to wait until I could get back to it.

Ok, so this week my wife tells me to build 4 bartop arcade cabs this week so she doesn't have to see my hoarder stash of computer parts any more. I pull the "new" pie out of the box...and it doesn't work. It boots to this far:
(download the image you can see it full size)

Anything I can do to resurrect it? If no, anybody want a deadish pi?

flyinghappy

Re: Got a broken pi...

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:23 am

Have you tried re-imaging your sdcard? if it boots that far, I have a hard time believing it is the hardware.
Pi with ArchLinux running a minidlna/samba home server

berighteous

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:57 am

I've tried several SD cards, and several distros on each one. All of them boot fine on the other Pi.

DeeJay

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:59 am

berighteous wrote: Anything I can do to resurrect it? If no, anybody want a deadish pi?
No, it's a hopeless case. Send it to me!

[When I get it I'll try an alternative power supply - perhaps the power is dropping when the ethernet port is enabled?]
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

rpdom

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:32 am

Is there any response when you press the Enter key at that point?

JoeDaStudd

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:08 am

I've got one of the original Model B 256mb which has a very similar issue. Is the resolution defaulting to 640x480.
At first I suspected it was caused by the SD card coming apart which in the slot, however after cleaning out and testing the slot I know its not the case.
Try a sd card with Raspbmc on it, mine can boot into it fine however the resolution is stuck at 640x480 so its less then ideal.

I'll keep an eye out on this thread as I'm 95% sure you've got the same issue as me.
Fingers crossed some genius can solve the issue and save both our RasPi's.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:34 am

measure the voltage between TP1 and TP2, perhaps its below the 4.75V the Ethernet/Hub chip needs to operate.
This chip, when turned on, suddenly increases the power demand. Its one of the biggest power users of the PI.

Could be caused by a flaky power-supply/ microUSB cable / polyfuse.

Especially the polyfuse F3 could have had some abuse from the previous owner, normally it will recover in time, but if it has "blown" many times it will never completely recover, which makes it liable to "trip" again, or cause a big voltage drop.

Alternatively the PI could have had a bang that dislocated the quartz sliver in the ethernet chips crystal, stopping the crystal from oscillating. sometimes heating the crystal by re-solderings it helps.

pluggy

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:35 am

JoeDaStudd wrote:I've got one of the original Model B 256mb which has a very similar issue. Is the resolution defaulting to 640x480.
At first I suspected it was caused by the SD card coming apart which in the slot, however after cleaning out and testing the slot I know its not the case.
Try a sd card with Raspbmc on it, mine can boot into it fine however the resolution is stuck at 640x480 so its less then ideal.

I'll keep an eye out on this thread as I'm 95% sure you've got the same issue as me.

No, it's a hopeless case. Send it to me! (To coin a phrase).
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

JoeDaStudd

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:30 pm

pluggy wrote:
JoeDaStudd wrote:I've got one of the original Model B 256mb which has a very similar issue. Is the resolution defaulting to 640x480.

No, it's a hopeless case. Send it to me! (To coin a phrase).
If I can't find a fix in the next month or so and I can be bothered to post it RaTTuS gets first dibs on it. But if for whatever reason
he doesn't want it I'll let you know.

RaTTuS

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:38 pm

I'll still take it ;-p
and I'm available via PM
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Speedwell68

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:12 pm

I had similar issues with my Pi when it was new. A mate had given me his Pi to set up as he was far too lazy to learn how to do it himself. I set his up beautifully and imaged the SD card to use in mine, as I was so impressed with his. His booted perfectly on either SD card and mine did something very similar to that screenshot. In the end I swapped the power cables, in desperation, and bingo mine worked. He was using a Samsung lead/PSU from a Samsung phone and I was using some 99p lead and a 99p PSU from eBay. I have since started using an HTC branded lead and an iSound dual USB PSU.

berighteous

Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:01 am

I switched power cords and it gets to
"input: USB HID v1.10 Device [novatek USB Keyboard] on usb-bcm2708_usb-1.3/input1"
If I hit a key I get a "#"

If I type anything and hit enter I get

-/bin/sh: _(whatever I type)__ : not found

on the lights I have a solid yellow, blinking green, solid green, solid red. Does that mean anything?

berighteous

Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:06 am

if I type ls I get:

README.md dev lib sbin tmp bin etc mnt sd usr boot init proc sys var

and the # prompt. I know almost nothing about linux, so I'm stuck there. This particular sd card is pimame and on my other pi it goes right to the pimame menu

rpdom

Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:56 am

You're running in "Safe Mode".

I don't know why this is happening to some people just recently. It may be that a software update caused it.

Safe Mode is an emergency recovery system that is normally activated if pin 6 of P1 is connected to 0V/GND when the Pi is switched on. I'm guessing that you haven't got anything connected to those pins, so it may be a bug.

All you need to do to stop it happening is add the line

Code: Select all

avoid_safe_mode=1
in your config.txt file. Then your Pi should boot normally.

[edit] When you are in safe mode, you can remove power from your Pi without needing to shut down cleanly or anything - nothing is using the SD card at that point - the OS and recovery filesystem is all in RAM instead.

berighteous

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:40 am

O.o
It worked! A big round warm of applause to the guru...

berighteous

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Is there any way to fix it so I don't have to remember to add the line of code to every sd card I make for the thing? is there a firmware update or something?

rpdom

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:35 pm

berighteous wrote:Is there any way to fix it so I don't have to remember to add the line of code to every sd card I make for the thing? is there a firmware update or something?
Not yet. I'm not even sure that it has been officially recognised as a problem yet, but I've seen quite a few people on here in the same situation. We can but hope that Dom or someone is looking in to it.

berighteous

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:35 am

been playing /configuring/ testing the previously safe moded Pi for like 30 hours now. (mame4all rocks) Not even a glitch so far. Thanks so much for finding an easy work around.

Return to “General discussion”