AndrewdAzotus

Re: Suggestions for version 3

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:13 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
AndrewdAzotus wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:On the other hand, if this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/05 ... rram_part/ tech came to SD cards, life could get REALY interesting. (A future version of the Pi would need a faster card interface to take advantage of it, though.)
forget coming to SD cards, with that, if cheap enough, a future Pi could have a terabyte of storage on board
The attractive aspect of removal mass storage remains...it's an easy way to un-brick a system (assuming the bricking a software issue).
But, Linux is designed to be bootable from non-installed storage devices such as CDs and USB/flash drives. Now, granted the Pi in its current guise is not and doesn't need to be, but it could be...

Lob0426

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:56 am

@W. H. Heydt; That is interesting!
There is also double floating gate FET. Ram underneath flash memory on a single chip. Storage and RAM as a single package. There are more than one way to use its benefits.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/23/scie ... ould-revo/
I am sure the price of both of these is well above what the Foundation can put on a RasPi. The Double floating Gate is not in productions as yet.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

W. H. Heydt

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:12 am

Lob0426 wrote:@W. H. Heydt; That is interesting!
There is also double floating gate FET. Ram underneath flash memory on a single chip. Storage and RAM as a single package. There are more than one way to use its benefits.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/23/scie ... ould-revo/
I am sure the price of both of these is well above what the Foundation can put on a RasPi. The Double floating Gate is not in productions as yet.
Give it 5 to 7 years and you might see it cheap enough for a future Pi equivalent.

OtherCrashOverride

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:31 am

64bit ARMv8 and OpenGL ES 3
kthxbai

jm169

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:04 am

Something I would love to see on a V3 (or model C, perhaps for an extra tenner) would be a WIFI /Bluetooth adaptor of the type that you often get on embedded systems, e.g. based on WL1271. It would enable people to have WIFI and Bluetooth connectivity with little extra power consumption, and both USB sockets still free.

Alternatively, if all of the 2nd SD Card interface pins were routed to the expansion connector it would be possible to develop a solution like this as a third party add on.

Just my 10 Cents!

Oakham

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:14 am

Surprised this post is still going, and has not been pulled.

I will say again there are other products which offer everything ones heart desire, albeit at at many more £££££££££££££££££££'s
Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

ric96

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Better quality metalic sd card holder!!!
Plastic ones kinda suk :(
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

Heater

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:13 pm

I'd be happy with a change to micro SD socket. Having these stonking great SD cards poking out is very inconvenient.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

hippy

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Oakham wrote:I will say again there are other products which offer everything ones heart desire, albeit at at many more £££££££££££££££££££'s
I see all these 'wouldn't it be nice if...' threads as votes of confidence in the Foundation's excellence and ethos rather than negative or critical. People are asking 'couldn't the Foundation do this' because they want to stick with them, not go somewhere else. That is something the Foundation can be very proud of.

Oakham

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:59 pm

hippy wrote:
Oakham wrote:I will say again there are other products which offer everything ones heart desire, albeit at at many more £££££££££££££££££££'s
I see all these 'wouldn't it be nice if...' threads as votes of confidence in the Foundation's excellence and ethos rather than negative or critical. People are asking 'couldn't the Foundation do this' because they want to stick with them, not go somewhere else. That is something the Foundation can be very proud of.
People are generally asking because they bought the Pi without realising what they are buying, an Educational Learning Tool, rather than a Development Board or miniPC.

The RPF at its core is a very small team and even to produce the Pi is amazing in the time frame, if they spent the money on creating a Super Duper £100.00 Pi, the RPF would be bankrupted as well as possibly being outside the terms of their charitable status.

It is extremely good of the RPF to offer support to projects outside the original remit of the Pi, but there are only so many hours in a day.

Last but not least the original learning PC the Acorn (BBC Micro) had backing from UK.GOV via the BBC. Just look what happened to Acorn went bust and bailed out by Olivetti.
Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

abishur

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Oakham wrote:Surprised this post is still going, and has not been pulled.
Actually, we like to get feed back on what people want and... wait, I feel like I've said this before on this thread, hold on a tic

[one quick search latter]
Me wrote: Actually, we made a thread a long time ago called something along the lines of "what would you like to see in the next one" or some such, we have no problem with people talking about what they would like to see and it's always fun to speculate.
:lol: As long as the thread stays respectful all criticism is welcomed over here.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

abishur

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:58 pm

ric96 wrote:Better quality metalic sd card holder!!!
Out of curiosity is this founded from "My slot broke on the pi", "I had a plastic one that once broke on another product", or just a general "metal beats plastic" belief?
Heater wrote:I'd be happy with a change to micro SD socket. Having these stonking great SD cards poking out is very inconvenient.
Personally, I'm on board with this, the only problem is that real world stress tests have proven that full sized SD card slots have a longer mean time before fail than micro sd card slots. I would personally be happy with the SD card being more recessed. One other though is if it was swapped around such that it point inward, but that obviously opens up a whole host of new problems.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

W. H. Heydt

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:39 pm

ric96 wrote:Better quality metalic sd card holder!!!
I agree. This is one of the--very--few "upgrades" that I think the basic Pi could use. It would have to done in a way that didn't impact the end price, though. One might expect that some enterprising company could design a compatible metal SD card holder that wouldn't require any board changes to the Pi and make a nice profit selling them for the Pi at a million or two units per year. Probably beneath the notice of a big company, but a smallish one might consider it to be a worthwhile market.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Heater wrote:I'd be happy with a change to micro SD socket. Having these stonking great SD cards poking out is very inconvenient.
Adafruit sells a very nice adapter for $6.

Heater

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:54 pm

W. H. Heydt,
Adafruit sells a very nice adapter for $6.
Cool, thanks.

Mind you that's probably more like 20 euro by the time it gets to me:(

hippy

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:07 pm

Oakham wrote:The RPF at its core is a very small team and even to produce the Pi is amazing in the time frame, if they spent the money on creating a Super Duper £100.00 Pi, the RPF would be bankrupted as well as possibly being outside the terms of their charitable status.
I don't know the deal but if the Foundation has made $1 from every Pi sold they've got something approaching $2 million in the bank and more to come. Even if it were just 20c a board that's still close to half a million dollars so I would guess they've got some money to play with and a super-Pi would probably generate even more money for educational causes. Students need the basic Pi to be 'as cheap as chips' but home and hobby users would undoubtedly be prepared to pay a premium for something more.

I don't believe a super-Pi would damage their charitable status; it would simply draw more in to contributing. It's been the success story of the year and I am sure there are partners who would be prepared to share the burden and work with the Foundation. RS, Farnell and Sony have all benefited greatly from the Pi's success and would probably like to see that success built on for the future.

As Eben has previously said; "I think it would be really sad, and probably fatal for us, if we were still shipping the same Raspberry Pi in 2016", so something will have to be planned soon to be ready in two years time.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:17 pm

ednl wrote:
Heater wrote:Mind you that's probably more like 20 euro by the time it gets to me:(
Modmypi is in the UK and sell the pIO which costs slightly more but, unlike the Adafruit version, sits flush with the connector: https://www.modmypi.com/sd-cards-and-ad ... rd-adaptor

Still advisable to order more items, if you need them!, to avoid too much impact of shipping cost. One adapter alone to Netherlands is €3.54, total €11.84.
The problem I have with the ModMyPi adapter is that you have to pull the adapter out to get the microSD card. With the Adafruit adapter, you don't have to do that.

It all probably depends on how often you want to pull the card for any reason...change it, back it up, replace it.... With NOOBS 1.3 (beta), you could load multiple OSes on a single card and avoid some swapping that way, but there are still backup issues.

Jessie

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm thinking of setting up my own totalitarian dictatorship do you think you could harden one and add enough GPIO to operate a laser guided missile?

Heater

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:02 pm

Jessie,
I'm thinking of setting up my own totalitarian dictatorship do you think you could harden one and add enough GPIO to operate a laser guided missile?
No idea. Perhaps this guy could advise you:
http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/

Lob0426

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Heater wrote:Jessie,
No idea. Perhaps this guy could advise you:
http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/
Bruce really could build his own cruise missiles.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Cancelor

Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:23 am

AndrewdAzotus wrote:As long as they don't suggest a Pi Master 128(K)! :lol:
No one will ever need more than 64K :lol:
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “General discussion”