GauVeldt

Re: Camera fps

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:55 pm

6by9 wrote:You may need to watch out as the sensor is based around a rolling shutter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter) - not all lines of the image are exposed at the same moment in time, so synchronising your LEDs to the sensor may not be feasible.
Aren't rolling shutters absolutely terrible for recording anything moving like live video, particularly from vehicles/planes/etc?

This would indeed cause a problem for interleaving over a single camera frame.

I'll need to use numbers or barcodes on the pads surrounding an LED instead of colors so all the pads are in a single frame. At this point the NoIR camera would be of less utility as the analyisis algorithm could just look for spots of a specific color (the color of the barcodes) on the frame's image.

There's still the issue of terrible recording of any sort of fast moving object with that rolling shutter however...

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:40 pm

This is a mobile phone sensor costing £15, not a DSLR.
Almost all mobile phone sensors are rolling shutter as global shutter is just too expensive. If it's not suitable for you application then you will need to look elsewhere, but you may be surprised.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

GauVeldt

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:50 pm

6by9 wrote:This is a mobile phone sensor costing £15, not a DSLR.
Almost all mobile phone sensors are rolling shutter as global shutter is just too expensive. If it's not suitable for you application then you will need to look elsewhere, but you may be surprised.
Well from another thread (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 43&t=24660) it's clear that alternative cameras (or other video sources) aren't coming to the Pi over anything other than USB, ethernet or wifi.

ghans

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:52 pm

I agree , the Pi is the wrong tool for the job.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

GauVeldt

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:00 pm

ghans wrote:I agree , the Pi is the wrong tool for the job.

ghans
Probably going to scrap attempting to do this on Pi at all and stick to using wiimotes or the DIY project that uses a Kinect camera instead. Saves me $250.

Return to “General discussion”