liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Twitter impersonators, front page vid reviews

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:16 pm

I've just stuck a couple of videos up on the front page from the BBC and CNET - enjoy! Meanwhile, I've just discovered that Eben has a Twitter impersonator - if you want to follow us on Twitter (and you should, because it's where you'll find out Raspberry Pi news first), we're @raspberry_pi - that's the only official Raspi account, and it's me who tweets from it.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ArborealSeer

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:45 pm

sad.. i hope the impersonators aren't being too snarky or causing too much trouble :/
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

liz

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Not really - only one tweet from them (both obscene and highly ungrammatical, so hopefully most people should realise it's not him). I've reported it as an impersonation, but Twitter don't have a great record of dealing with this stuff!

rmm200

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Would suffice if Twitter would transfer the account to Eben, just to lock up the name so no one else could use it.

poing

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:16 pm

I have a question about this. It seems from earlier reports that RS has about twice (220,000) preorders than Farnell (110,000), totaling a rough 350,000.

I'm no way in a serious hurry to get a Pi (as in 'complaining'), though eager as with any wet dream. But reading the post by Farnell, (quote:

Also, over the next 5 days, we will invite the 70,000  hopeful customers  who have already registered their interest in the Raspberry Pi to place their orders, with delivery expected in July/August, dependent on the place of that order in the queue.

New registrations of interest received from today will now need to wait a little longer for their confirmation...

) and thinking I might very well be 'post 70,000' @ RS with my preorder, would that put me in the 'Christmas' ballpark? Or is the volume of Pis split between the two 1/3 vs 2/3 based on preorder volume?

I can handle it any which way, but it would be nice to know. BTW, ordered March 7 2012 through RS in the Netherlands.

Thanks.

liz

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:30 pm

I think that RS number is expressions of interest rather than preorders - I assume not all of those have converted into actual orders.

poing

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:44 pm

I'm not sure what the difference is between 'expression of interest' and 'preorder'. Both lead to an 'order' which is a definite purchase.

Are you saying both companies have about the same 'expressions of interest' (which would be most logical situation) and the 110,000 - 220,000 split is just linguistic?

Not trying to pry 'strategic business secrets' from anyone, it's just so unclear. And I also understand very well probably no one actually knows all the answers. It might be a good idea if the two companies put their heads together and got a clear message out to the user base. With their experience they should be able to estimate some sort of a road map.

Let's face it, we're just children waiting for their Christmas present. And we don't want to wait till December 25th! Anyway, if it's Christmas I'll be happy just the same

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:04 am

Farnell certainly already have a good idea of deliveries now, so their estimations of delivery are pretty accurate. I'm thinking RS must be in the same boat, although they are less forthcoming with information. I think getting them to talk to each other probably isn't going to happen!

As to the exact figures for expression/orders etc? Not sure that really accurate information is going to be forthcoming as it is commercial information that each won't want to divulge to the other!

And having info like that makes no difference to when you will be receiving you Raspi anyway.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Kernel

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Liz is 95% of the reason I visit Twitter

Return to “General discussion”