User avatar
ric96
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 am
Location: NOIDA, India
Contact: Website

weston/wayland

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:44 pm

A beautiful and smooth desktop environment
its really great for the raspi if developed a bit more
in my opinion : the raspi community should aid or well, take over the development
a note to the people who write that pi's desktop is slow/laggy: TRY USING WESTON

weston would make a great difference on the over all pi experience and would look good as a default desktop-env
the latest 2013 raspbian image does come with pre-loaded weston bt its an older version and does not support 'x'
a more developed version- with a proper menu , taskbar and other stuff would look really good!!!
Last edited by ric96 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

Heater
Posts: 12949
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: weston/wayland

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:45 pm

"The raspi community should..."

Great, when are you going to start?

User avatar
solar3000
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 12:14 am

Re: weston/wayland

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:08 pm

Heater wrote:"The raspi community should..."

Great, when are you going to start?

I think he wants to start immediately.
You should demand a status report next week.
Antikythera

Heater
Posts: 12949
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: weston/wayland

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Is it ready yet?

User avatar
ric96
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 am
Location: NOIDA, India
Contact: Website

Re: weston/wayland

Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:08 am

solar3000 wrote:
Heater wrote:"The raspi community should..."

Great, when are you going to start?

I think he wants to start immediately.
You should demand a status report next week.
ok ok ok........
let me make this clear(a sad one though) :( :(
this was just a suggestion
i am merely a developer and use pi as a hobby for experiments and a look into the ARM world :oops: :oops:
i am a class 12th school student
so i guess its up to the real developer/ raspi community :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Best Of Luck :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

Heater
Posts: 12949
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: weston/wayland

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:03 am

ric96,

Sorry to have been so flippant. It's just that suggestions come all the time, someone has to do this stuff.

Anyway I think your dream will come true, from what I have read here and there over the recent months guys are working on weston/wayland/whatever and working on it for the Pi as well.

User avatar
solar3000
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 12:14 am

Re: weston/wayland

Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Glad everyone has such a great sense of humour.
Antikythera

User avatar
ric96
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 am
Location: NOIDA, India
Contact: Website

Re: weston/wayland

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:39 pm

Raspberry Pi
The Raspberry Pi Foundation are working in collaboration with Collabora[48] to improve performance and memory consumption, but do not expect to be able to replace X11 as the default display server until later in the year.[49]
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(d ... _protocol)
maybe later BUT
SOON!!!!! :lol:
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

nooryani84
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: weston/wayland

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:53 am

We will probably see it towards the end of 2013 or Q1 2014... Here's something to wet your appetite for the time being http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HItv4HX5r3k

http://www.collabora.com/services/case- ... aspberrypi
"It's great to be working with Collabora to bring the hardware composition capabilities of BCM2835 to bear on both native Wayland and legacy X applications" said Eben Upton, a founder and trustee of the Raspberry Pi Foundation. "The resulting platform will form the centerpiece of the new Raspberry Pi user experience from the second half of 2013."

"It's exciting to see Collabora and the Raspberry Pi foundation work together on improving the Raspberry Pi user interface using Wayland and Weston. The result provides a great demonstration of how the Wayland architecture and the Weston implementation lets you mix rendering techniques and take advantage of special purpose 2D compositing hardware." — Kristian Høgsberg Kristensen, Wayland project lead.

User avatar
ric96
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 am
Location: NOIDA, India
Contact: Website

Re: weston/wayland

Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:48 am

nooryani84 wrote:We will probably see it towards the end of 2013 or Q1 2014... Here's something to wet your appetite for the time being http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HItv4HX5r3k

http://www.collabora.com/services/case- ... aspberrypi
"It's great to be working with Collabora to bring the hardware composition capabilities of BCM2835 to bear on both native Wayland and legacy X applications" said Eben Upton, a founder and trustee of the Raspberry Pi Foundation. "The resulting platform will form the centerpiece of the new Raspberry Pi user experience from the second half of 2013."

"It's exciting to see Collabora and the Raspberry Pi foundation work together on improving the Raspberry Pi user interface using Wayland and Weston. The result provides a great demonstration of how the Wayland architecture and the Weston implementation lets you mix rendering techniques and take advantage of special purpose 2D compositing hardware." — Kristian Høgsberg Kristensen, Wayland project lead.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: my eyes almost popped out
so SMOOTH!!!!
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

User avatar
excollier
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:17 am

Re: weston/wayland

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Superb. Looking forward to it's release.

User avatar
Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1662
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact: Twitter

Re: weston/wayland

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Folks! For those of you who are looking at this and scratching your heads, here is how you can try this out.
Install the latest version of Raspbian from the downloads page on your SD.
Boot up and log in as per usual.

Enter the following command.

Code: Select all

nano ~/.bashrc
Scroll to the very bottom of the file and paste these commands in after the last line.

Code: Select all

export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR="/run/shm/wayland"
mkdir -p "$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR"
chmod 0700 "$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR"
Press Ctrl - X, y and then enter to save and quit.
Logout (type exit or logout) and log back in.
From now on you can just type the following;

Code: Select all

weston
There is not much yet, just a terminal program. But you can open the window and then drag the title bar around to see how nice and smooth the movement is. Open up a few instances of the terminal window and press the windows key (on a PC keyboard) to sort/shuffle them.

Ctrl - Alt and backspace to exit.

User avatar
ric96
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 am
Location: NOIDA, India
Contact: Website

Re: weston/wayland

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:30 am

Davespice wrote:Folks! For those of you who are looking at this and scratching your heads, here is how you can try this out.
Install the latest version of Raspbian from the downloads page on your SD.
Boot up and log in as per usual.

Enter the following command.

Code: Select all

nano ~/.bashrc
Scroll to the very bottom of the file and paste these commands in after the last line.

Code: Select all

export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR="/run/shm/wayland"
mkdir -p "$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR"
chmod 0700 "$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR"
Press Ctrl - X, y and then enter to save and quit.
Logout (type exit or logout) and log back in.
From now on you can just type the following;

Code: Select all

weston
There is not much yet, just a terminal program. But you can open the window and then drag the title bar around to see how nice and smooth the movement is. Open up a few instances of the terminal window and press the windows key (on a PC keyboard) to sort/shuffle them.

Ctrl - Alt and backspace to exit.
hmmmm.....
if im not wrong
the 2013 version of raspbian provides the same with out following the above steps
and just by typing

Code: Select all

weston-launch
the problem here is its quiet unstable and dos'nt support'x'
without 'x' its kinda useless :?: :!: :?: :!:
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

User avatar
Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1662
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact: Twitter

Re: weston/wayland

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:40 am

Oops :oops: Yes you're right, I never noticed that, I was just trying to run weston.

beanjammin
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Re: weston/wayland

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:32 pm

I haven't tried them yet, but here's info on using updated weston/wayland binaries - http://wayland.freedesktop.org/raspberrypi.html

Return to “General discussion”