rmwebs

Recommend a Pi alternative for a (usable) NAS?

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi all,

I love my Pi however I want to create my own NAS. I've been using a Netgear Stora, which frankly is a pile of junk for a multitude of reasons. It was fine when I was only using it for occasional storage, but now we use it to stream content to three TV's (each using an Apple TV with XBMC installed), as well as iPads/iPhones/Androids.

At the same time I use it as my TimeMachine backup.

The problem we now have is bandwidth and speed. The Stora suffered the well documented slow down issue, meaning if you try to stream more than one video at a time it dies. If you try copying files too often, it dies, etc.

So my plan is to replace it with a NAS. Initially I thought about using the Pi along with a couple of USB hard drives, however this really wont work due to speed issues.

What I'm wanting /needing to build is something that has either 2 eSata ports or USB 3.0. This avoids the disk access bottleneck. The next requirement is gigabit ethernet.

I've got a sheevaplug which I thought about using as its got eSata, however before I go ahead I was curious to see if anyone here had done something similar, and if there were any suggestions or recommendations to the best way to do this.

Thanks!

SirLagz

Re: Recommend a Pi alternative for a (usable) NAS?

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:52 pm

Have a look through this list and take your pick -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_si ... _computers
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

MrBunsy

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:27 pm

If power requirement isn't too much of an issue, a low power atom board would work.

kghunt

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Get a synology. They are very powerful well supported and rock solid.

JoeDaStudd

Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:47 am

Depending where you are it might be worth checking out HP microservers for cashback offers in your country.
I picked a N54L up the start of this year for £189 with a £100 cashback.
4 sata ports with an addition sata port in the 5.25" bay and an external port at the rear. Bios updates enable full speed on the extra ports as well as a few addition features.
For £89 I really can't complain and you'd be pushed to create anything close for double the money.

Generally they popup every month or so.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:14 am

An Intel NUC might also be an option, although a bit expensive.

teeth_03

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:03 pm

If you are looking at the NUCs, also look at the Zotac Xbox Nano and Gigabyte Brix models.

rmwebs

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:39 am

JoeDaStudd wrote:Depending where you are it might be worth checking out HP microservers for cashback offers in your country.
4 sata ports with an addition sata port in the 5.25" bay and an external port at the rear. Bios updates enable full speed on the extra ports as well as a few addition features.
For £89 I really can't complain and you'd be pushed to create anything close for double the money.

Any idea where one of the HP partners is offering it for £189? Cheapest I've found is £289 from eBuyer :(

Edit: scrap that - I see that ~£289 is the cheapest you can get it now. I've ordered one along with a 3TB drive - just gotta find some cheap RAM to take it up to 4GB or more.

Thanks for the recommendation - it looks ideal, and given its specs I think I'll be doing more than just NAS with it. I'm thinking run ESXi on it, and have a few environments setup. Planning on using it as my own time machine backup, as well as set it up to back up everyone elses computers.

mongrol

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:23 am

For a usable NAS you need something with either SATA (real, not USB based) or USB 3.0. The only option currently for USB3.0 is the new XU board from hardkernel.com. For SATA you have some good options with Pogoplug or Seagate Home devices. I suggest looking at archlinuxarm.org for some ideas.

JoeDaStudd

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:46 pm

rmwebs wrote:
JoeDaStudd wrote:Depending where you are it might be worth checking out HP microservers for cashback offers in your country.

Any idea where one of the HP partners is offering it for £189? Cheapest I've found is £289 from eBuyer :(

Edit: scrap that - I see that ~£289 is the cheapest you can get it now. I've ordered one along with a 3TB drive - just gotta find some cheap RAM to take it up to 4GB or more.

Thanks for the recommendation - it looks ideal, and given its specs I think I'll be doing more than just NAS with it. I'm thinking run ESXi on it, and have a few environments setup. Planning on using it as my own time machine backup, as well as set it up to back up everyone elses computers.
Personally I'd wait the last deal they had was june so they should do another soon. Its generally every 2 months or so, but they expand the offer some months as well.
This was the last deal I saw
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-micr ... uk-1564617
I have the app for that site setup so as soon as someone posts about a deal I get a message.

RTD1

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:46 pm

kghunt wrote:Get a synology. They are very powerful well supported and rock solid.
This.

I picked up a Synology DS713+ and 2 WD Red drives (3TB each) a couple of months ago. It has literally changed my life. I travel a lot for work and now I can access every file I have from anywhere, my own personal cloud.

thradtke

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:22 pm

I second the recommendation for an HP Proliant Microserver. I have a Turion 40L/4GB equipped machine myself. It is running Vista 64 and an Oracle Linux 6 VM, with 2x1TB HDDs plus 250GB HDD. You get everything in one box, a Win-Environment for sharing your scanner and printers etc. and a professional server. Cons are It takes some more power, isn't that silent and needs a low profile graphics card if you want HDMI, which was the case for me. Also, it doesn't come with an optical drives, so I had to prepare a usb key.

All in all (except Vista license) it was just below 300 Euro, which is hard to beat for such a system.
Rocket Scientist.

NewIT.co.uk

Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:03 pm

rmwebs wrote:What I'm wanting /needing to build is something that has either 2 eSata ports or USB 3.0. This avoids the disk access bottleneck. The next requirement is gigabit ethernet.
Try the MiraBox £149
  • 1.2Ghz Marvell Armada CPU ARMADA 370 ARM v7 compliant
    802.11b/g/n Wifi with Marvell 88W8787 and Bluetooth 3.0
    1GB DDR3
    2 each 10/100/1000 Ethernet Ports
    2 each USB 3.0 host
Or the DreamPlug £149
  • CPU - Marvell Kirkwood 88F6281 @ 1.2GHz speed
    512MB 16bit DDR2-800 MHz
    4 GB on board micro-SD for kernel and root file system
    2 x Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps
    2 x USB 2.0 ports (Host)
    1 x eSATA 2.0 port -3Gbps SATAII
    1 x SD socket for user expansion/application
    WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
    Bluetooth 3.0
Or the CuBox Pro £119
  • ARMv7 running up to 800MHz
    2GB 32 bit, 800MHz Data Rate DDR3
    One 10/100/1000 Ethernet Port
    TWO USB 2.0 ports
    One HDMI Output Port (with CEC support)
    One Optical SPDIF Output Port
    One MicroSD - System ships with 4GB for system files.
    One eSATA Port Supporting both Gen-1 and Gen-2
Just a few ideas ;)

EDIT prices added.
www.newit.co.uk

rmwebs

Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:28 pm

I've actually got a Sheevaplug I bought from you guys a couple of years ago - love it, and shocked the PSU hasn't blown on it yet! I've used it as a tiny nas for misc files. It's not anywhere near fast enough for everything else in my list though sadly. I was eyeing up the CuBox on your site a few days ago but my worry is that it'll never be powerful enough for everything I need it to do.

I seem to have accidentally got a deal with eBuyer. I bought the ProLiant Gt N54L for £289 this morning, however noticed at lunch time they had reduced the price by £60. So sent in a ticket and (after a nightmare with their crap sales people) got it changed. So it was only £229 in the end - plus £7 back on quidco, then £100 to claim back from HP. Not really bad considering you can stick 16GB RAM and 4 Hard drives (6 unofficially) along with adding a USB 3.0 card, TV tuner, etc.

Also spent a little extra on Amazon and picked up the 8GB ram upgrade for it, along with a larger drive.

pluggy

Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:39 pm

http://www.businessdirect.bt.com/produc ... -78PQ.html

Making a NAS just consists of clipping a couple of drives in it.......

It could probably be hacked to make it a bit more general purpose if you were really keen.

http://jamie.lentin.co.uk/devices/dlink-dns325/
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

stevech

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:56 pm

A NAS is all about features, GUI and ease of use.
I shopped long and hard. Happy with Synology DS212 (though the DS212j would have been cheaper, < $175).
Buy as drive-less; use your own drives. I don't use the RAID capability in the 2 drive NAS; I use two independent file systems/volumes.

But look at the on-line demos for Synology and QNAP. These are the best.
Browse around on the NAS sections of
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php

Return to “General discussion”