greenehill coop

IS4C ... anyone trying to run a POS on a raspberry Pi?

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:18 am

We are using IS4C ( http://www.wedge.coop/is4c/ ) as our Point of Sale system at our Co-op

So far we are running it on old donated tower PCs but we were thinking about maybe doing it with tiny PCs and someone mentioned the raspberry Pi ...

the terminal side is a PHP site ... with very limited graphics basically just text ... so I think it might be doable if anyone thinks the web browser for the raspberry Pi can be used with success.

furthermore is it possible that the raspberry Pi could be made to automatically load to the browser and open a specific webpage right when you turn it on?

any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

guruevi

Re: IS4C ... anyone trying to run a POS on a raspberry Pi?

Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:58 pm

Raspberry Pi runs a number of recent-ish browsers. If your towers work using something like Firefox or a Webkit browser (Chrome, Safari, Konqueror), your RPi should work too.

The software seems to be a local webserver connecting to a central webserver, you can probably run the entire operation on RPi's depending on your volume (don't quote me on that). Make sure you make good backups regardless.

furthermore is it possible that the raspberry Pi could be made to automatically load to the browser and open a specific webpage right when you turn it on?
Yes. How? Depends on your implementation. It's just standard Linux after all...

greenehill coop

Re: IS4C ... anyone trying to run a POS on a raspberry Pi?

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:07 pm

wow this is great news

yes, we use firefox on the POS towers and someone found a plugin that makes it full screen without a way to close the browser kiosk I think ... or ezkiosk or something

I hadn't considered using a RPi for the back end side, I assumed we needed the power of a full size computer to run a server.

thanks so much for the input, I'll let the IT committee know about this idea ... I didn't want to bring it up and look dumb if there was no way it would work haha

:)

Return to “General discussion”