kingdaniel6942

how long it can be on without rest

Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:00 am

hello friends, we need to know if the Raspberry Pi Model B, could support 18 hours of hard work each day, and seven days a week? If not, what option could give us?

Regards

rpdom

Re: how long it can be on without rest

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:16 am

With a good, stable power supply and a reliable SD card, the Pi is capable for running for years at full load without stopping.

Check out some of the threads about "Uptime" and "How long has your Pi been running?". You will see some people have had theirs running for a year or more.

solar3000

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:14 pm

rpdom wrote:With a good, stable power supply and a reliable SD card, the Pi is capable for running for years at full load without stopping.

Check out some of the threads about "Uptime" and "How long has your Pi been running?". You will see some people have had theirs running for a year or more.
but its has only been around a year.
Antikythera

rpdom

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:23 pm

solar3000 wrote:
rpdom wrote:With a good, stable power supply and a reliable SD card, the Pi is capable for running for years at full load without stopping.

but its has only been around a year.
It has been available for over 16 months.

MrBunsy

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Code: Select all

uptime
 05:21:42 up 314 days,  5:29,  1 user,  load average: 0.37, 0.14, 0.08
8-)

kingdaniel6942

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:40 am

Hello, thank you very much for answering

kingdaniel6942

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:46 am

thank you very much for your reply

Heater

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:14 am

Is this the legacy of the Windows education on the world for 30 years, that people expect that a computer will only run for five minutes before needing some human intervention?

It has been noted that you will need a good power supply and SD card but there is more to consider:

1) You really don't want to have your PI subject to just being switched off without being cleanly shutdown first. If it happens to have data that has not been flushed to SD card when power is yanked you will end up with a corrupt SD and an unbootable system eventually.

2) You don't want any code running on your PI to be writing excessively to the SD. It will fail eventually. This is made worse by 1) above.

3) Of course the apps you are running had better be well behaved, no slow memory leaks that will bring everything down eventually, for example.

Ideally for running your Pi for extended periods especially unattended I would want to have the SD card mounted as "read only" to ensure it can never be corrupted.

solar3000

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:05 pm

MrBunsy wrote:

uptime
8-)

Wot? No reboot?
Don't you update the kernel at all?
Antikythera

Lob0426

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Heater wrote:Is this the legacy of the Windows education on the world for 30 years, that people expect that a computer will only run for five minutes before needing some human intervention?

It has been noted that you will need a good power supply and SD card but there is more to consider:

1) You really don't want to have your PI subject to just being switched off without being cleanly shutdown first. If it happens to have data that has not been flushed to SD card when power is yanked you will end up with a corrupt SD and an unbootable system eventually.

2) You don't want any code running on your PI to be writing excessively to the SD. It will fail eventually. This is made worse by 1) above.

3) Of course the apps you are running had better be well behaved, no slow memory leaks that will bring everything down eventually, for example.

Ideally for running your Pi for extended periods especially unattended I would want to have the SD card mounted as "read only" to ensure it can never be corrupted.
My Raspi server used to have corruption issues after "brown outs" or drops in voltage from our electric company. Those seem to have been solved in updates from the beginning of the year. I have not had a corruption issue from this in the last 5 months. When this did happen it was usually the boot that was corrupted. Though the whole card was corrupted at least once.

The time I still see corruption is occasionally during updates. The best protection here is to back up before the update. I back up a couple of times a month now.

I do not run my card as read only. That would make WordPress about useless, or at least inconvenient.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

MrBunsy

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:45 pm

solar3000 wrote:
MrBunsy wrote:

uptime
8-)

Wot? No reboot?
Don't you update the kernel at all?
I was trying to get to a year uptime. A powercut has stopped me, alas. I've now finally replaced it with an up-to-date raspbian, rather than the original soft float squeeze.

excollier

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:03 am

I hate that a power cut corrupts the OS. I had just got the hang of networking my printer with the Pi and never powering it down, running well for about three weeks, and then a power cut on Sunday wrecked my setup, and I had to start from scratch re-imaging the card and updating and installing cups etc. If I can set up a battery power supply then I can let it stay on, it seems stable enough to me.

solar3000

Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:59 pm

excollier wrote:I hate that a power cut corrupts the OS. I had just got the hang of networking my printer with the Pi and never powering it down, running well for about three weeks, and then a power cut on Sunday wrecked my setup, and I had to start from scratch re-imaging the card and updating and installing cups etc. If I can set up a battery power supply then I can let it stay on, it seems stable enough to me.
I know how you feel. Power corrupts.
Uh-huhuhuh
Antikythera

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:50 am

solar3000 wrote:
excollier wrote:I hate that a power cut corrupts the OS. I had just got the hang of networking my printer with the Pi and never powering it down, running well for about three weeks, and then a power cut on Sunday wrecked my setup, and I had to start from scratch re-imaging the card and updating and installing cups etc. If I can set up a battery power supply then I can let it stay on, it seems stable enough to me.
I know how you feel. Power corrupts.
Uh-huhuhuh
Not every power cut corrupts...a minority only. I've had PC's that were corrupted by power cuts so it's not specifically a raspi problem. I've even had consumer equipment broken by power cuts.

But on the Pi, if you have a decent setup, back it up. Well worth the few minutes effort, and its pretty easy on a Pi to dump an SD card image if you have a reader and PC to do it with.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Lob0426

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Most of the time my RasPi reboots if the power is cut. Brown outs are a different story. Then it usually is sitting there with just a red light. I have not had a corrupted card in months from a brown out.

As Jamesh and I have said. Back it up and you will have a good long term run out of your RasPi. I back my website up about every other time I add content or make system changes. I also back up before updating the OS or WordPress.

I lost everything on my site last December due to a brown out. There has been several since, but the corruption issue seems to be fixed or well on the way to a fix.

In all I have not had very much trouble keeping the website up and running. I had almost as much trouble with hosted servers. They have their outages too.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Return to “General discussion”