crckmc

Re: Boblight possible?

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:25 pm

sorry for not posting :)
the converter arrived but has pretty bad overscan so its working but not really usable. I ordered a new one today and hope it will arrive tomorrow...

rcph

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:37 pm

...ok, I was just curious about the result, because I am interested in this solution ;)

jamieburchell

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:48 am

Hey

I'm trying to establish which software components are required for the best boblight experience on the Pi using OpenELEC to drive ws2801 LEDs.

Is this to install Speedy's boblightd and use the boblight-dispmanx script as below?

https://github.com/Speedy1985/boblightd ... to-compile

http://blog.nadnerb.co.uk/?p=142#more-142

I've read that boblight-dispmanx has been integrated in to xbmc, so am unsure what is actually required at this point, or if OpenELEC's boblightd is now on par with Speedy's version.

Thanks!

Jamie

VZoltan

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:26 am

boblight-dispmanx, well this one is not as good as they think it is, if you have different aspectratio (black bars) your leds on that side of the screen, wont light up.

jamieburchell

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:25 pm

VZoltan wrote:boblight-dispmanx, well this one is not as good as they think it is, if you have different aspectratio (black bars) your leds on that side of the screen, wont light up.
Did I read this can be overcome by using different configs? Not ideal I know, but the advantage of boblight-dispmanx if I understand correctly is that it works in all areas of XMBC, not just video playback?

VZoltan

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:37 pm

jamieburchell wrote:
VZoltan wrote:boblight-dispmanx, well this one is not as good as they think it is, if you have different aspectratio (black bars) your leds on that side of the screen, wont light up.
Did I read this can be overcome by using different configs? Not ideal I know, but the advantage of boblight-dispmanx if I understand correctly is that it works in all areas of XMBC, not just video playback?

Honestly, who needs that?what is the advantage of the leds light up on xbmc gui?

If u can choose between two option, what would u choose?

1. Leds on gui but video only works with 16:9 aspect
2. No leds on gui but all aspects of videos has proper led/lights

I would go for #2

Edit:
And this solution doesnt good with subtitles...
Last edited by VZoltan on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NietGiftig

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:44 pm

jamieburchell wrote: Did I read this can be overcome by using different configs? Not ideal I know, but the advantage of boblight-dispmanx if I understand correctly is that it works in all areas of XMBC, not just video playback?
Advantage?
Yes, but the subtitles also influence the leds, that's not ideal i think
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 71#p409271
I understand that if the subtitles are in the videostream it is not avoidable, but with srt files e.d. ?
And for using different configs you better have an easy way to change between them

VZoltan

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:49 pm

NietGiftig wrote:
jamieburchell wrote: Did I read this can be overcome by using different configs? Not ideal I know, but the advantage of boblight-dispmanx if I understand correctly is that it works in all areas of XMBC, not just video playback?
Advantage?
Yes, but the subtitles also influence the leds, that's not ideal i think
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 71#p409271
I understand that if the subtitles are in the videostream it is not avoidable, but with srt files e.d. ?
And for using different configs you better have an easy way to change between them

Yes. I just dont want to create different config files for different aspects and switch between them before i start a movie,
( even i have already a good solution to switch between them)

i just want to hit play and enjoy it like we did before.

VZoltan

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:00 pm

And the other thing is that this new solution uses cpu even im not using raspbmc for video at all, it is always running and calculating screenshots... 24/7 (even if i turn on black screensaver to turn off the leds...)

jamieburchell

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Sorry, I was misled in to thinking the dispmanx solution was better (http://blog.nadnerb.co.uk/?p=126) :)

If ProjectM ever gets working on the Pi's GPU it would be useful to have the LEDs working then. I agree though, I'd rather it worked properly for videos. Having said that, isn't the advantage of boblight-dispmanx that it doesn't require a butchered omxplayer and can be added to distros like OpenELEC because it's standalone?

Reading between the lines it seems I'd need to use Raspbmc over OpenELEC for faster boblight support at the moment.

NietGiftig

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:17 pm

Having said that, isn't the advantage of boblight-dispmanx that it doesn't require a butchered omxplayer
I think that it would be an advantage if the "butchered" omxplayer got an civilized addition for Boblight.

VZoltan

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:57 pm

jamieburchell wrote:Sorry, I was misled in to thinking the dispmanx solution was better (http://blog.nadnerb.co.uk/?p=126) :)

i dont see how it is better, but i think it is easier to implement, but it is a step back in a way.

nadnerb

Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:58 pm

VZoltan wrote:And the other thing is that this new solution uses cpu even im not using raspbmc for video at all, it is always running and calculating screenshots... 24/7 (even if i turn on black screensaver to turn off the leds...)
You already have a ready made solution in your web app, If you're not using dispmanx, then kill it, just how you kill bob light-constant. simple.

IMO, dispmanx is better as you can enable it when you need it, it also displays through menus. If you don't like that, then come up with a solution to disable it, I've already mentioned to you how (boblight-constant with 0 brightness or kill dispmanx).
The butchered OMXplayer was running for EVERY user of Raspbmc, regardless of whether the user had LEDs or not. Now, THAT is a bad thing.
You say who even wants LEDs on the GUI, well whats the advantage of having LEDs for video anyway? It's all just for fun really.

As for subtitles affecting lights, yeah that's unfortunate, but easy to overcome by moving your subtitles up slightly, or adjusting your boblight.conf files to capture the screen under the subtitles, or combine the 2.

Failing that, quit complaining and compile your own xbmc with the butchered OMXplayer or go back to an old Raspbmc build.

VZoltan

Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:36 pm

if someone is so kind to tell me how to compile the patched omxplayer, i would do it every month when a new raspbmc is out and upload to my ftp to share. but i dont know how to do it.

NietGiftig

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:31 pm

nadnerb wrote: Failing that, quit complaining and compile your own xbmc with the butchered OMXplayer or go back to an old Raspbmc build.
Hm, really nice reply.
Sorry you see it as complaining, for me it is feedback for a couple of side effects from the use of dispmanx
But reading your comments you have not, or questionable solutions for these side-effects so we have to quit "complaining"?

brooc

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:30 pm

NietGiftig wrote: Hm, really nice reply.
Sorry you see it as complaining, for me it is feedback for a couple of side effects from the use of dispmanx
But reading your comments you have not, or questionable solutions for these side-effects so we have to quit "complaining"?
Let me jump in and say something here.
I wrote the DispmanX solution and I can see how someone that is not a software writer like @VZoltan will not see the benefits of the solution from the coding perspective.
The fact that the butchered OMXPlayer opens and reads files like the boblightoptions.txt and runs all the time even, if you do not use boblight at all, makes it a bad solution (and this is why it was not incorporated into the XBMC mainline and the DispmanX solution was).
Now, from a user's perspective, this solution is not maintainable, and for long term distributions this is not really a patch you can incorporate, so... It may be removed at any given point and a user such as yourself may just simply not have it anymore...
There is a plugin in process of creation to be able to turn DispmanX on and of and control different things about it...

NietGiftig

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:45 pm

brooc wrote: There is a plugin in process of creation to be able to turn DispmanX on and of and control different things about it...
Nice to hear.
Let's hope that one of the options is to use only the original video input without all the overlay from xbmc and or subtitles.

brooc

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:53 pm

DispmanX uses whatever is on screen. It has no knowledge if it's the subtitles or a picture of your girlfriend. That's just the way it works. So... no that will not be a part of it, but you sure can do what was suggested before...

NietGiftig

Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:10 pm

brooc wrote:DispmanX uses whatever is on screen. It has no knowledge if it's the subtitles or a picture of your girlfriend. That's just the way it works. So... no that will not be a part of it, but you sure can do what was suggested before...
Sorry to read that.
I hope that someone else is capable of maintaining a "butchered" version of the OMX player, or find a solution to hook in the OMX player without changing it to read the necessary data for boblight

I'm currently using a Satellite receiver (Xtrend) with Boblight from Speedy and that combination works with only the original video without the overlay etc.

fape

Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Where can we download the patch for XBMC/OMXPlayer? (the "butchered" version)

nadnerb

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:13 pm

NietGiftig wrote:
nadnerb wrote: Failing that, quit complaining and compile your own xbmc with the butchered OMXplayer or go back to an old Raspbmc build.
Hm, really nice reply.
Zoltan has been complaining about dispmanx both here and at the Raspbmc forum. He has raised issues, to which he has been given solutions and work arounds yet he still complains.
Please remember, xbmc, boblight and boblight-dispmanx are free and open source - therefore if anyone has issues or doesn't like the way things work then they are welcome to change them. If you can't, then perhaps in the mean time, either take a step back and use an old build of Raspbmc or put up with the issues until a better solution is found.

If we're lucky, maybe Dom will find the time to work on adding a second video-only capture function which will hopefully allow a boblight-dispmanx solution to make everyone happy: http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php ... 2#pid75562

VZoltan

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:57 am

Quit making it personal!
Im just telling what works here and what doesnt.

crckmc

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:26 am

Hey Kids stop fighting... :D

VZoltan if you want to compile xbmc yourself follow the tutorial here:
http://www.raspbmc.com/wiki/technical/building-xbmc/

This is where I started if you run into problems feel free to ask me. I think someone already made a patch for xbmc out of the omxplayer changes so it shouldn't be that hard to incorporate.

@BerryPicker and rcph
I got a new converter and now only small parts from the top and bottom edge are lost. I can get ambilight effect now for every hdmi source but imo the effect isn't nearly as good as with xbmc.
Will try to make a video later so you can decide if it's worth another ~60$ investment...

jamieburchell

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:01 am

brooc wrote:(and this is why it was not incorporated into the XBMC mainline and the DispmanX solution was).
Hi brooc. Does this mean that we can expect to see this script available in new OpenELEC releases, or is this for Gothem, or back ported, or?

Also do we still need the boblightd plugin (original or Speedy's version)

Sorry I seem to have disturbed a hornets nest, I'm just trying to work out what software options are available and what's best at the moment.

Thanks

brooc

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:06 am

The code will be available in OE in the near future I think (I spoke to sraue about this).
I did see some problems with boblight working in this way though - a pretty big delay...
In any case you will need to have the boblightd addon installed (OE has this addon in the repository).
There is a work in progress to create a boblight addon that will use DispmanX and will have the boblightd in it and will allow some configurations.

Return to “General discussion”