rahulvala77

about licence of selling Ra-pi with inbuilt OS

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:55 am

Hi,

I want to sell ra-Pi units in bulk with inbuilt OS installed in my country , so does it violate any license or any OS code violation ?

I want to sale it with Linux OS.

Need guidance from commercial expert of Ra-Pi.
Thanks,
RKV

DeeJay

Re: about licence of selling Ra-pi with inbuilt OS

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:22 am

Direct contact details can be found on this page about the Raspberry Pi trademark.

The issues regarding gnu-based operating systems are different. If you don't understand the licenses that cover their use it would probably be better to find a lawyer who does.

As a pedantic nit-pick - it is not practically possible to sell a Raspberry Pi with an "inbuilt OS." The OS has to be booted from an SD card, so unless you fix it with superglue it will always be possible to remove it. The established Raspberry Pi vendors have been offering SD cards with pre-installed Operating Systems for some time - how does your proposal differ?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

rahulvala77

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:36 am

My plan is to install bootable OS (Linux) in SD card and want to give it free with Ra-pi ?

And want to sale Low cost small size Linux PC. C
Can I do it ?

itimpi

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:40 am

It sounds as if you simply want to act as a distributor? If so you are at perfect liberty to buy in bulk from RS or Farnell (licensed manufacturers) and sell on yourself. This is what most third party resellers are doing I believe.

If you are looking for something else then you need to contact one of the distributors I would think.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:31 pm

You are fine, you can sell the pi with whatever Linus distro you want on it. There is nothing about the GNU licenses which prevents you from selling anything. All of the license details and where people can find the source is included with the packages themselves, so you're absolutely fine.

Return to “General discussion”