bigsofty

Re: Order Concerns

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:18 pm

Not a happy chappy.

Farnel sent me an email saying my Pi was ready to order.

I was sent to a link to a page that asked me for my details and CC.

The next page had a code on it, nothing else that related to my order or me.

That was a month ago, no contact has been made to me. No confirmation emails nothing, the code, which I luckily wrote down is not recognised by Farnel when entering it on their contact website.

This is a terrible company, a terrible company that now has my CC details, I"m not happy.

abishur

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

I have moved this post from the Status Updates thread (which is for official status release new and direct questions to that) to a new thread where this can be freely discussed.

Long story short, despite this launch madness, these are huge international, reputable businesses.  They got a bum rap due to the unprecedented demand for the r-pi product but at the end of the day these aren't "terrible companies".  I mean you wouldn't fret if Wal*Mart had your CC for a month while some obscure backordered item came through.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

poing

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:32 pm

bigsofty said:

That was a month ago, no contact has been made to me. No confirmation emails nothing, the code, which I luckily wrote down is not recognised by Farnel when entering it on their contact website.

And what did they say when you contacted them, which is the most logical thing to do?

bredman

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Farnell is a very reputable company.

They are just not set up for consumers who wish to buy only a single item and expect constant hand-holding. They are set up to deal with companies who place large orders and wait for the order to be processed.

You won't get much different from RS, they have a similar focus.

Joe Schmoe

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:35 pm

This suggests that neither RS nor Farnell are a particularly good match for this product.

I for one have never heard of either of these companies until 0600 UTC 2/29/12.

Further, I doubt I was by any means the only one who had a loud, serious OMG! moment reading the news that this project (product) had been passed off to these two companies.  I could hear and feel the anguish around the world...
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

dukla2000

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:49 pm

1) I spot troll prints

2)

poing said:

And what did they say when you contacted them, which is the most logical thing to do?
+1

3)

bigsofty said:

Farnel sent me an email saying my Pi was ready to order.

I was sent to a link to a page that asked me for my details and CC.

This is a terrible company, a terrible company that now has my CC details,

I may be wrong in 1, my next guess is phishing and the company that has your CC details is indeed terrible. And is not Farnell. You did of course check you were on a secure server when entering your CC details?
Daily driver: Pi3B, 64GB Samsung Evo+ @100MHz, DVB-T, onboard WiFi for internet, BT/USB dongle for KB/mouse, 250GB HDD via USB for media, Raspbian Jessie Lite with Openbox desktop.
Museum: Pi B

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Closing this thread, 'cos I smell trolling too.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

dognosh

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Each of those companies had sales of over £1 billion last year and have been around for over 70 years(at least farnell has)

We as a company use RS and Farnell , and I also use it as an individual(from home) , and they bend over backwards to help.

These circumstances(ethernet port , certifications, lack of stock in numbers for the demand) are not of their making , but then it is the innate nature of humans to moan at anything and everything, I do it too.

RS have sent me over 7 emails keeping me up to date on happenings, here is an extract of one of them :

Great progress this week on moving towards deliveries and mass production…

Together with the Raspberry Pi Foundation we’ve successfully completed compliance testing and certification work for CE, FCC and C-Tick.
This means we are now starting to ship our share of the first 2000 boards that arrived in the UK last week.
We have opened our dedicated Raspberry Pi Store to those lucky people who were first in the registration queue to place their orders.
Now that the Raspberry Pi boards are compliance certified we have triggered our manufacturing processes to move into volume production.
As new batches of Pi’s become available over the coming weeks we’ll be inviting the next in-line into the Raspberry Pi Store to place their orders.
The next batch is already in production so we’re expecting more deliveries shortly and we’ll continue to keep you updated via our regular email and online http://uk.rs-online.com/web/ge.....=questions" href="http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisp ... ions">FAQs.  

You are an early adopter, things WILL go wrong, it is the nature of this process, I have decided to step back and wait for others to get theirs and come back with definite info on SD cards, drivers, LCD displays that work 100% with the available drivers and many other things

Return to “General discussion”