Bukimari

Pushing Your Pi to the Limit

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:32 am

I'm pretty new to the forum, (in fact this is my first post) but I'm curious as to what the Pi is capable of while remaining stable. I wonder what the highest overclock someone's managed to get on it is while remaining stock. I was running at 1Ghz with OV at 0 with absolutely no problems, then I tried this setup. I'm currently running:

Pi: 512MB Version
ARM: 1250Mhz
Core: 500
RAM: 500
OV: 6

Having absolutely no problems and haven't even seen it get up to 60 degrees but I feel like I can push it even further. I want to shoot for 1.4, doubling the original 700 but that seems foolish. I'm surprised I got this far and I also don't want to void my warranty...but that can only be done by forcing turbo right? I feel like I can safely pull off 1350, 525, 525, 6. Thoughts on the matter and suggestions? Also post your overclocking endeavors!

malakai

Re: Pushing Your Pi to the Limit

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:08 am

Each Pi will overclock differently variances in the chip cause this it cannot be controlled or known until you try. As far as warranty issues you can read about it here http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Overclocking

force_turbo=1 doesn’t set warranty bit on its own – only in conjunction with over_volatage>0 something like that I believe is the fine print.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

pluggy

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:27 pm

The fundamental problem with overclocking (anything, not just the Pi) is that when it falls over, its difficult to establish if its a general glitch or its due to you pushing it too hard.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Bukimari

Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:12 am

So for some reason I can't overclock my Pi any higher. I set the ARM to 1400Mhz and rebooted, but instead of failing to boot it booted just fine...at 1250Mhz still. I checked my boot.txt and it still shows everything as it was, like I never saved changes and it just defaulted back to the 1250. I haven't heard of this before, so does anyone know what's going on? I'm having no other issues and there's no SD card corruption. Do I need to OV more? Because to do that I'd have to force turbo, which may void my warranty, and I don't want to do that. But I'm determined to discover the absolute limits of my SuperPi.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just got it to 1400. So currently I'm running:

ARM: 1400
GPU: 500
Core: 550
SDRAM: 750

All still stock. No fans or heatsinks or cooling solutions. Ran a stress test and it's still rock solid. Does anyone know what the highest a stock Pi has been pushed to and still be stable?

PaulM

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:44 am

Hi,

Which SD card are you using?

Thanks

Paul.

shuckle

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Bukimari wrote:So for some reason I can't overclock my Pi any higher. I set the ARM to 1400Mhz and rebooted, but instead of failing to boot it booted just fine...at 1250Mhz still. I checked my boot.txt and it still shows everything as it was, like I never saved changes and it just defaulted back to the 1250. I haven't heard of this before, so does anyone know what's going on? I'm having no other issues and there's no SD card corruption. Do I need to OV more? Because to do that I'd have to force turbo, which may void my warranty, and I don't want to do that. But I'm determined to discover the absolute limits of my SuperPi.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just got it to 1400. So currently I'm running:

ARM: 1400
GPU: 500
Core: 550
SDRAM: 750

All still stock. No fans or heatsinks or cooling solutions. Ran a stress test and it's still rock solid. Does anyone know what the highest a stock Pi has been pushed to and still be stable?
I believe this is new world record. Best result before this was around 1300 ARM. Your result is unbelievable as your OV is only 6. Can you show:

Code: Select all

sudo vcgencmd measure_clock arm
and

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
When the system is doing work.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:44 pm

It's time to move this discussion beyond the realm of computer hardware engineering and into solid-state physics, along with a pinch of manufacturing yield limits. Any computer can be overclocked and/or over-voltaged any amount you can provide sufficient signal for, but the primary remaining variable is for how long? It's not widely advertised for obvious reasons, but there could eventually be Pi SoCs that will fail even though their clock speeds and over-voltage never exceeded the stock values recommended by the Foundation. There won't be very many of them, and they might have to manufacture a billion of them before a failure like that occurs, but it will eventually happen if enough of them are made. This is just a fact of life in manufacturing yield statistics.

The higher you overclock and/or overvoltage your Pi, the sooner a failure will likely occur, and if you go high enough, the failure will occur before even one clock cycle is completed. It may be possible to run that Pi at 1.4 GHz or higher for a while, but chances are that it will go crispy earlier than at lower speeds/voltages, and the higher you go, the sooner it will become toast with an exponentially-decreasing longevity vs. increasing speed/voltage. The laws of probability are such that it's impossible to predict the longevity of any given device, and in the immortal words of Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry, "In all the excitement, I lost count ... was it five shots or was it six? Do ya feel lucky today, punk? Well, do ya?!?" :lol:
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Return to “General discussion”