evil

Re: USB HD and Samba performance

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:40 am

I tried the debian squeeze image yesterday and I got 7,5 MB/s read and 5,8 MB/s write performance (samba and windows 7).
Writing was first very instable - then I change the max_sector value from 240 to 480 .

cat /sys/block/sda/device/max_sectors
>240

echo 480 > /sys/block/sda/device/max_sectors

After that it worked stable for the next few test copys.

lb

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:44 am

eshatohhin wrote: For some reason writing is faster (usb-storage requires less cpu, so smbd can get the most of it)
After few minutes system crashed, i guess its related to the buggy usb driver as mentioned in previous post.
The system crashed, because the smsc95xx driver runs out of memory. You can either disabled the "turbo" mode of the driver, or force the kernel to keep some memory free for it. This was documented in many posts on the forums, and on the Wiki, I believe. The turbo mode is what makes the writes faster in your test.

I realize I'm replying to an old post, that this might still be interesting to know for some people.

eshatohhin

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Pianist, try testing ethernet, hdd and samba performance separately to find the true cause.
download/upload file via ssh/ftp to a sd card, test samba from sd card, run hdparm to test drive speed.

Return to “General discussion”