I have a few compatibility questions. Are they compatible with:

- Webcams

- Arduino

- The Sprint 3G/4G USB Modem 250U

And how do the GPIO pins work?

mkopack

Re: Questions about Raspberry Pi

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:11 am

1) - UVC compatible webcams SHOULD work fine.

2) Somebody else here on the forums today showed his RPi connected to an Arduino UNO (over USB) sending commands to the Uno. Not sure about the Arduino dev environment though - it's Java based, so it probably will work, but I don't know what it uses under the hood for compiling and uploading to the Arduino.

3) Eh, depends largely on there being drivers. If drivers are required to use it on other systems, then probably not a good chance of it working (unless you find some other ARM Linux drivers for it... so MAYBE, but don't get your hopes up... This is one of the reasons I prefer Hotspots over plug in USB dongles..)

4) GPIO pins are basically similar to the Arduino's pins, except they are at 3.3V (rather than the Arduino's 5V). Check the wiki to see which pins do which special functions. Currently if you want to interface with the pins you need to do bit-banging in language of your choice...

AKSoapy29

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:20 am

Alright. If I do need to control anything, I can always use the serial on the Arduino. Arduino has tons of different things you can do with it. Thanks for the reply. I will have to search for that Arduino post you were talking about. It would be cool if the Sprint thing worked, but it may or may not. If I ever get a Raspberry Pi, I will defiantly try it.

AKSoapy29

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:22 am

Looking on the website, it does look like it works with Linux. I will read more. Here's the link if anyone else wants to see:

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/sof.....250u.shtml

rmm200

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:43 am

Don't try it too defiantly. The Pi responds best to soothing words, spoken gently.

AKSoapy29

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:49 am

rmm200 said:

Don't try it too defiantly. The Pi responds best to soothing words, spoken gently.

So, are you saying it doesn't work to well, or it's slow?

rmm200

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:52 am

Sorry, programmers are too literal sometimes. I respond to what is said, and not what is meant.  Should work fine.

AKSoapy29

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:54 am

Alright. We all have those moments sometimes. I think I might get one sometimes and make something awesome! Can't wait

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:16 pm

The biggest problem with computers is that they do precisely what you tell them to do, not what you want them to do.  How different life would be if only the latter were true
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Return to “General discussion”