secretreeve

Re: override post login

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:07 am

okay so the only thing thats holding me back from buying a Pi after the backlogs cleared is the post login.

i.e on the black screen you have to log in. is there any way to remove this relatively pointless login part? i mean come on! who the heck thought it was a good idea to wack a login there?! it bugs the hell outta me on videos and its gunna but the crap and hell outta me in hand.

please dear god please tell me it can be overriden or bypassed or something?!

Hexxeh

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:10 am

Most distros have a way to configure autologin.

secretreeve

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:17 am

lets hope so lol

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:36 am

secretreeve said:

okay so the only thing thats holding me back from buying a Pi after the backlogs cleared is the post login.

i.e on the black screen you have to log in. is there any way to remove this relatively pointless login part? i mean come on! who the heck thought it was a good idea to wack a login there?! it bugs the hell outta me on videos and its gunna but the crap and hell outta me in hand.

please dear god please tell me it can be overriden or bypassed or something?!

Relatively pointless? Security? On a network attached computer?

Linux needs a login. Not a question of wacking it in, it's question of taking out something that's always been there!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Joe Schmoe

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:47 am

The OP's posting style is certainly entertaining, and he is to be congratulated and encouraged for that.  But his basic point is valid.  It is certainly within his rights to want the system to boot up directly into a usable state - like computers (e.g., Apple ][, C64, etc) did in the olden days.

On at least one of my systems, booting does take all the way into a GUI (X) login, with several windows running.  It is implemented via some magic in /etc/inittab and some scripts.

I worked this out on my own (years ago), but it sounds (based on post #2 in this thread) that this functionality now comes "built-in" (just need to turn it on) in some distributions.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

jamesh

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:51 am

Joe Schmoe said:

The OP's posting style is certainly entertaining, and he is to be congratulated and encouraged for that.  But his basic point is valid.  It is certainly within his rights to want the system to boot up directly into a usable state - like computers (e.g., Apple ][, C64, etc) did in the olden days.

On at least one of my systems, booting does take all the way into a GUI (X) login, with several windows running.  It is implemented via some magic in /etc/inittab and some scripts.

I worked this out on my own (years ago), but it sounds (based on post #2 in this thread) that this functionality now comes "built-in" (just need to turn it on) in some distributions.

It certainly within anyone's right to have a network attached computer with no security, filled with viruses and to be part of a worldwide botnet! It's his human right!

I note your example also ends with a login prompt...
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Joe Schmoe

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:01 am

I'm sorry...  *My* example?  Did I give an example?

Anyway, I'm certainly not recommending that this be the default or anything like that - just that it be made available as an option.  I.e., that the information is out there, if not very well publicized.

But having said that, I'm not sure how having the local workstation auto-login to a GUI (running on that local workstation and connected to the local keyboard and screen) is that much of a security hazard - in the Linux/Unix context as opposed to the Windows context (where, of course, everything is a security hazard).  I'm not, of course, saying that there couldn't be an explorit (so don't bother arguing that point), but it just isn't very likely.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

jamesh

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:23 am

Joe Schmoe said:

I'm sorry...  *My* example?  Did I give an example?

"On at least one of my systems, booting does take all the way into a GUI (X) login, with several windows running.  It is implemented via some magic in /etc/inittab and some scripts."

Sounds like an example to me!

rew

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:32 am

Some decades ago, a couple of friends decided to hold a competition. The competition ran for a month. The final score was 15-15. How did they score? A point was scored for a novel way to achieve root privileges.

My conclusion is: If you're logged in on  a machine you'll be able to get root privileges. Sure Linux patches most of them in a timely manner. But that doesn't mean that no more such bugs exist. There is always a new way to get root.

That said. I"ve built a "minimal PI" setup. It boots faster than my screen has a lock on the scan frequency. By the time the monitor shows something the pi has already booted and is patiently waiting for you do do something. It boots directly to a few command prompts. I could just as well make it boot into X.

(the goal was to use little disk space, not the fast-boot-time, and X is large. )

If you dislike the login prompt you can change inittab to read: openvt /bin/sh or openvt -c 2 su username -c /bin/sh Simple: No login.

With X/gdm, you can also configure an autologin in the "proper" way.

If you want it, it can be done.

I have a small PC that will boot and just start a slideshow. Digital pictureframe is what they call it if you buy it in  a shop. It will get upgraded to a 'pi once they are available in numbers. (i'd have to get a new monitor, the old one is VGA).
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

poing

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:34 am

I have a few 'embedded' uses in mind so there won't be a keyboard, mouse or screen attached. Would be handy if the thing just worked when applying power

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:05 am

secretreeve said:

Yep, I've prepared a number of Pi images that do this (for demos/internal use).

In /etc/inittab, replace `1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 tty1` with:
1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f pi tty1 </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1

Michael

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:04 am

As most of the distributions are based on Linux, it is relatively easy to modify the image so that on boot it will either not prompt for a login, or start x.  This isn't Pi specific, so a quick Google seach will reveal how to do this and some of the previous posters have also indicated ways.

However, I think it is fair to say that it is a fairly core part of the Foundation's philosophy that by default their distributions will not start a graphical interface and as others have pointed out, it is Linux security 101 to require users to identify themselves.

Both Eben Upton and David Braben have spoken several times* about how 1980s computers were instant on and gave you nothing but a prompt and a flashing cursor when turned on - if you wanted to do anything with them you had to learn at least the basics of programming.  Even if you only ever log in and type "startx", that little cursor cries out for a "little two-line ... program to print 'hello world'" and places the seed in inquisitive minds as to what else could be typed in, instead of "startx" and what might happen.

*eg 5:15 into video

jojopi

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:23 am

JamesH said:

Relatively pointless? Security? On a network attached computer?
The fact that it might be on a network is irrelevant when deciding the behaviour of the system console.  The only consideration is whether the computer is kept in a physically secure location.  If so, it is fine for it to boot straight into a shell.  (And if not, then anyone can take the card out and disable security anyway!)

Return to “General discussion”