Karmeck

Re: Im selling my pi

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:11 pm

So once again here is my pi for sale:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rasp....._1122wt_99

Any bid over 150£ get's free shipping worldwide.

rmm200

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:16 pm

Can we start a Pis for Sale forum to keep from offending those of us who find this distasteful? I don't mind sales on EBay, but this is kind of shoving it in our face.

scep

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:29 pm

[@Karmeck: Private Messages are exactly that! ]

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:42 pm

Why are you selling it?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

poing

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:47 pm

I bid €1 and I'm prepared to pay a reasonable shipping fee, like €10.

Karmeck

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:07 pm

JamesH said:

Why are you selling it?

I been here a long time, not from the start but some time before the cow video. I seen the pi as an answer to my preyers then it come to a small computer that I can emulate my snes, nes games. But as time went on i realise there will be some time before it will all work out and i already have a netbook running x86 software and everything just work (I do realize emulators on other arm devices might work). And the lack of avi suport, everything i download is avi.

that and I live for the hunt, the wait is everything to me, then it is over it´s all gone. I need something to look forward to and now then I have the pi Im done.

And im sure someone paying more then 3 times the price will do something good with it, if i had it it would just stand in the corner and collect dust. Like my Duke nukem forever box, I never opened it and it's just up there on the shelf collecting dust, that I can't sell the pi I can.

I will wait in my cave and come out that day there is an image loaded with emulators and a frontend that I can download with everything set up for me, and then I will buy a pi again.

The pi is a fantastic devise and nothing can compare to the price of it. Why is it so hard to make a x86 devise just as small that don't cost 500$ (fitpc)

I do sound spoiled, I realize that as well. And lazy.

poing

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:15 pm

Still all that doesn't answer the question; you could have simply refrained from actually ordering when you got the 'lucky' email.

So be honest, you just want a quick pound... Basically nothing wrong with that, but you won't get your GBP 150 from me.

Karmeck

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:21 pm

part of the hunt is to finish it as well. So i had buy the pi and feel the joy of holding the box in my hand. And now I have done just that. And now I still want it but the money I can make of selling it is needed by me and my fiancee as she is in school and Im only working part time.

poing

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Well, let's be grateful you hunt Pis not elephants

PACtrain

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:52 pm

Good Luck to you.  But remember this is a charity that needs support. How about you give your profit to the organisation!

spamel

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:06 pm

Why should he? It is his to sell at whatever price the market dictates. If he makes a donation, that should be his choice and not because he has been peer pressured into it.

morphy_richards

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Why should he? It is his to sell at whatever price the market dictates. If he makes a donation, that should be his choice and not because he has been peer pressured into it."

Yeah and no one should ever try to convince anyone to do anything that"s good just because its good. We should all go out and try to make as many quick bucks as possible and who cares if its at the expense of someone else.
If you see a baby then its an easy source of free candy!

Don"t even think about suggesting to anyone it might be better another way , because that"s , like , going against our rights dude.

poing

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Admittedly I'm waiting for Bill Gates to order a million Pis and hand them out in Africa within the scope of his welfare program. Checking Fox News constantly, but so far disappointed...

Chris.Rowland

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:45 pm

It's the confusion between legal and ethical. There's a popular idea that if it's legal it must be ethical but really these are separate things.

spamel

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Seriously, point me to a single piece of legislation that dictates if you resell something, it must be at a loss. Then, point me towards where it said that by pre-ordering a RasPi you cannot re sell it unless you give a wedge of any profits made to the Foundation. Grow up, it is his property to dispose of as he wishes. There is no question of ethics, it is buyer beware. If you think it is a ludicrous amount to pay, as I do, then don"t bid on it. Nobody said life was fair, it isn"t. Look upon this as a tatse of real life, people make profits from other people"s work, there is nothing new here. Take the moral high ground if you wish, but it won"t achieve anything!

poing

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Seriously, it's all about a bunch of 'idiots' mortgaging their houses to bring a low cost computer to schoolkids. OK, they sell them and the buyer can do what he wants with it, including selling it at 5 times the price.

Personally I have not a big problem with people taking advantage of the situation, but please don't try to act as if you were forced by nature. It's a bit pathetic.

john_wage

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:40 pm

It's true that the people who are in charge of the official retailing of the RPi are mostly responsible for this phenomenon, by being unable to supply even a fraction of the demand at any reasonable pace.

morphy_richards

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:45 pm

It would be depressing but then you remember what the Rpi is about and that every thread from thousands of users bar this one (and possibly a handful of others that I haven"t had the misfortune to come across) have been about "what can we do", "how can we make this better" and so forth. And then you realise that on the whole, human nature is pretty great.
On the flip side , the other viewpoints are valid. The fact that we are all in a global economic depression together goes to show where that particular viewpoint leads. Luckily most of us don"t share it, which is why it will come right in the end.

SereneJ

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:54 pm

Selling the Pi when so many are waiting patiently is one thing and is completely your choice - they're on EBAY and the majority are aware of them; but I'm not gonna be buying one.

However, coming onto the forum and flaunting the fact that you have one to sell is another thing entirely! I personally think it's wrong to do so!

Sell it by all means but I don't think you should be using the Raspberry pi Forum to advertise!

poing

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:55 pm

@ john_wage

Well, I'm not sure how you think to supply the world with 350,000 computer boards within 2 days. Anyone following this site and capable of understanding the content should understand it's about some 'amateurs' configuring a device that is such a hit that only wizardry can make it work. That didn't even stop them. Respect!

Seriously, sell the fu**ing Pi for GBP 150 and shut up!

Chris.Rowland

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:58 pm

john_wage said:

It's true that the people who are in charge of the official retailing of the RPi are mostly responsible for this phenomenon, by being unable to supply even a fraction of the demand at any reasonable pace.

That seems very harsh to me John.  They made as many as they could afford to. They are not responsible for other people's behaviour.

scep

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:10 pm

john_wage said:

I agree, the big sillies - all they had to do was just make a gazillion of the little blighters last year and it all would have been OK. Irresponsible I call it.

I hear that they actually have a stockpile of twelvety million in a warehouse in Dagenham and are drip feeding them to punters to keep the demand artificially high. It's a disgrace!

SereneJ

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:34 pm

I understand the founding members of the RPi Foundation have done soooo much and so well in their endeavour!

I understand demand is expectedly high

I understand there are a currently only a fortunate few who have managed to get their Raspberry Pi

I understand all those lucky individuals have the right and opportunity to sell their RPi

I understand this demand will be a short lived phenomenon

I don't understand the need to come on here selling the RPi

I don't understand the need for the blessing of the mods or RPi community!

10 + 12 ( I got this)

poing

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:37 pm

SereneJ said:

10 + 12 ( I got this)

The answer is 42.

SereneJ

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:41 pm

42 - truly the answer to the ultimate question?

I still love the fact that Huddersfield is the centre of the Universe!

Go Huddersfield!

Go RPi

Return to “General discussion”