alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: HDMI-VGA Adapter with chip GBP 12, free shipping

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Maybe just bad luck and you have one of the monitors which is incompatible with this device? Seems to be working OK for most people. :?:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

thesynapseuk

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Not so. It's the RPi that's the problem.

I tested the cable from the HDMI output on my Windows laptop to that VGA monitor to ensure it wasn't the cable that was faulty. It isn't - I got a picture with no problems at all.

It's all to do with the RPi and config.

My only hope is that the HDMI to DVI conversion isn't as painful. I live in hope....

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:11 pm

thesynapseuk wrote:Not so. It's the RPi that's the problem.
No, it's the combo of monitor, Pi, adaptor and settings that's the problem. I'm glad your neewer adaptor is working. If you had another type of VGA monitor handy it would be interesting to see if it worked out of the box, like most of the rest of us experienced (more or less). I think you're the first person to report a total failure with this adaptor on here.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

The_Saint

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:05 pm

My Neewer HDMI to VGA adaptor arrived today from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007KEIRNG
Connected it to an AG-Neovo F419, initally as expected got a rather horrible pink screen skewed to the left, then set Config.txt to
  • hdmi_drive=2
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=36
    disable_overscan=1
and perfection resulted. I understand the reasons for using a TV but it doesn't half cheese you off in no time, this is much more like it.

shaurz

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:51 pm

I came across the same adaptor. I've tested it at 1920x1200 and it works pretty well. The picture quality is not amazing, but it's acceptable. I made a video demonstrating it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML15qIyCUAU

My config.txt is:

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=68
disable_overscan=1

Peter Pan

Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi - first post here and hope of some help. I tried a passive lead HDMI-VGA lead with no success of course (should have researched a bit more!), the Neewer one from Amazon states 7-23 days lead time so bought a 'Cable Matters' one which turned up next day and works fine

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... 02_s00_i00

regards and look forward to contributing more!
Peter
(Acorn Atom guy...)

stephenbodman

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:38 pm

asb wrote:I'm using http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pro.....B007KEIRNG successfully. However, I haven't tried it on many monitors. YMMV.

I have one of these, but have failed to get it working so far. I have fiddled around with a config file, but with no success, any ideas?

poing

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Power issue? Seems to draw some power, so if you have a soso adapter that lowers the voltage when under load that might be a problem.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:15 am

A (neweer) adapter that doesn't have its own power supply, tries to draw some 400mA from the R-Pi, not only does that mean that your PSU will probably be overloaded, but it also means that a diode between 5V and the HDMI wire the neweer adapter tries to draw the 400mA can be damaged, as its only rated 200mA, for such adapter to work:
1) The adapter needs to supply an additional 400mA
and
2) The BAT54 diode (D1) must be bridged, or replaced by a diode that can conduct at least 400mA, and has a low drop of 0.2 Volt or so. (and has the same SOT23 package) The PMEG2010AET is such a diode.

realtek

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:33 pm

boley wrote:http://www.kanexlive.com/atvpro  has just been announced.  It is targeted at the Apple TV but should work with the RPi. Handles audio also at just $59.  I'm thinking it may be a good fit for giving presentations/training at locations where you don't know if the venue will support HDMI.  This plus an RPi is still cheaper than an AppleTV, and the RPi can support AirPlay (a chief excuse for getting an AppleTV) which is great for presentations.
Jesus, I could get a new HDMI monitor for almost that!

Return to “General discussion”