poing

Re: HDMI-VGA Adapter with chip GBP 12, free shipping

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:51 am

I came across this listing on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080.....3784wt_952

It says the adapter has a chip inside, so would this work to connect a Pi to a VGA monitor? This item is much cheaper than other adapters. I ask because I have a lot of VGA monitors but no HDMI while locally a HDMI monitor is around €150. If this works it would be something for schools as well.

MattPurland

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:57 am

You'd need a physical adapter for the mini HDMI, but it looks promising!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold.....2eb13eae13

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:53 pm

I'm using http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pro.....B007KEIRNG successfully. However, I haven't tried it on many monitors. YMMV.

ArborealSeer

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:48 am

great news.. i have a non dvi monitor kicking about, was going to use it as a second on my music production/recording laptop but now i can use that monitor with pi too!
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

poing

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:19 am

That's indeed great news, abs. Can you tell us what monitor(s) you used it on?

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:15 am

asb said:

I'm using http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pro.....B007KEIRNG successfully. However, I haven't tried it on many monitors. YMMV.

Excellent - thanks for this. That should be just what I need for using it with the school's projectors. I was going to go with the Hong Kong one the OP posted, but since you say this one works, I thought I'd pay the extra £4 for the 'lesser perceived risk.' It's nice to find one of these that's cheaper than the Pi itself.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:30 am

poing said:

That"s indeed great news, abs. Can you tell us what monitor(s) you used it on?

It's asb, my initials - rather than 'abs' as a reference to my stunning physique

So far, only a Dell S2409W. I imagine it's drawing a couple of hundred mA over HDMI. Gert: any knowledge of or views on these devices? It's very possible you'll need to edit /boot/config.txt to get the output resolution you want. Also, mine was sold by the seller "Happy Sales UK". Hopefully the seller who is now listed is selling the same thing.

nimdy

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:06 pm

I've just ordered one of these from Amazon. I'm hoping it might help with some of the HDMI problems I've been having with my LCD TV.

I'll post a write up of it when I get it.

ArborealSeer

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:42 am

poing said:

What'd be also be possibly more interesting is explaining how it works when driven at different resolutions, does it translate like for like, or always map to say 1024x768?

ArborealSeer

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:43 am

ArborealSeer said:

poing said:

What would be also be possibly more interesting is explaining how it works when driven at different resolutions, does it translate like for like, or always map to say 1024x768?

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:16 pm

I bought one of these, which just arrived. I haven"t tested it extensively yet, but here are two photos of a netbook plugged into a 23" Samsung telly. First one using the HDMI to VGA adaptor, second one directly from VGA to VGA.

Apologies for the relatively poor photos. (I hope the forum software will thumbnail these, as I think I"ve used my edit already). One thing to note. It doesn"t have any sound. This is made clear on the listing. There is one on Amazon for a few quid more that does do sound if that is important to you (but it requires additional power).

The netbook shots were at 800 x 600. It also works on my laptop at full HD 1920 x 1080. This one seems to be a keeper. I wonder how well it works with a MHL adaptor and a smartphone for use with VGA projector.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:37 pm

US Amazon price is $20.  Since the next cheapest HDMI-to-VGA converters I've look at are around $40 (and go up from there to $200 or more), this looks like a--potential--winner.

It would be nice to be able to use an R-Pi with my 8-port VGA KVM switch...

@Storris

Wed May 02, 2012 1:54 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=.....ga+adapter

Would these cheap as chips offerings not have the advantage?

RaTTuS

Wed May 02, 2012 1:58 pm

@Storris said:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=.....ga+adapter

Would these cheap as chips offerings not have the advantage?

no you need an avtive converter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KanaaN.....B007QT0NNW

I think that could work ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

boley

Thu May 03, 2012 1:30 pm

http://www.kanexlive.com/atvpro  has just been announced.  It is targeted at the Apple TV but should work with the RPi. Handles audio also at just $59.  I'm thinking it may be a good fit for giving presentations/training at locations where you don't know if the venue will support HDMI.  This plus an RPi is still cheaper than an AppleTV, and the RPi can support AirPlay (a chief excuse for getting an AppleTV) which is great for presentations.

wanye

Fri May 04, 2012 9:11 am

RaTTuS said:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KanaaN.....B007QT0NNW

I think that could work ?

i bought one of these the other day (as it was one of the only adapters with prime next day delivery)- havent tried it with a RPi yet (mine arrives monday) but i tried it using my sumvision cyclone media player plugged into my projector, and it was having none of it. just a constant "syncing" (tried it on two different projectors, just in case)

have ordered one of these instead now. £23 including audio output. hopefully it will work…

(will give the original unit a try when my RPi arrives next week and post results)

ArborealSeer

Fri May 04, 2012 11:22 am

I also bought one the other day, but it was the other item linked which alexeames already confirmed works.

Turned up today. Have connected it to the HDMI out on my vaio to an old unused 19" that still lives on one part of my work desk. It fires up ok at lower resolutions. 1280x720 is the best i can get out of this set up, even though google says the monitor supports more. (its an iiyama 1451 and google says it should do 1280x1024 and 1600x1200).

I did try dropping the resolution on the vaio down from its native 1920x1080 to see if it was an issue of gfx car dmemory or something, but it didn"t make a difference.

Not bad for just over a tenner!

One interesting thing is that it shows up under the name LONTIUM who google (again) tells me make HDMI related chips..

@Storris

Tue May 08, 2012 10:19 am

RaTTuS said:

Ah, OK thanks I didn't know that.

Digital to Analogue converter not just HDMI to VGA adapter.

rsbrowndog

Sat May 26, 2012 5:13 am

Just a quick note to say that I picked up the Amazon cable, i.e. this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007KEIRNG

And it's working great with my Raspberry Pi on an old Acoustic Solutions 19" TV. Took me a while to sort out the over/underscan, but pleased with the results now and it means I don't have to faff about with a HDMI switch!

Worth noting that although it's working great with my Pi, I've had no joy trying it with my PS3 or a Freesat HD box.

Ryan

poing

Sat May 26, 2012 8:45 am

Great to know. I take it that you don't need an extra adapter as it's normal HDMI (not mini)?

JeremyF

Sat May 26, 2012 1:51 pm

{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 26, 2012 7:50 pm

poing wrote:Great to know. I take it that you don't need an extra adapter as it's normal HDMI (not mini)?
Correct. No extra adaptor needed. I can confirm it works with my Pi and a Samsung HDMI tv (but plugged into the VGA port) same as it did with laptop and netbook. Although it defaults to quite low resolution - probably tweakable - but I won't be using it routinely so haven't spent time on it. Just a quick look-see to check it worked at all. :D

clacktronics

Sun May 27, 2012 3:11 am

I have been using the amazon neewer one and it works.

Found though with a viewsonic monitor it said it was connected but showed a blank screen.

A trick with it I found was to unplug the VGA connector turn on the pi then plug it back in it tricked it into working. Not useful for everyday use. Must be something to do with an interruption at boot up.
My Kickstarter for a analogue AV out - kck.st/1SuGDvV

milhouse

Sun May 27, 2012 5:09 am

clacktronics wrote:I have been using the amazon neewer one and it works.

Found though with a viewsonic monitor it said it was connected but showed a blank screen.

A trick with it I found was to unplug the VGA connector turn on the pi then plug it back in it tricked it into working. Not useful for everyday use. Must be something to do with an interruption at boot up.
Have you tried hdmi_force_hotplug (config.txt)?
hdmi_force_hotplug Make RPi ignore hotplug signal from display and assume it is asserted.

rsbrowndog

Sun May 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Just a quick update on this...

It seems that the HDMI-to-VGA cable I have (the Amazon neewer one) draws some power from my Pi. Presumably it needs some to make the chip work that converts the signal. I've no idea how much exactly, but it might explain some of the power problems I've been having!

I played with Debian a lot yesterday, fiddling about with configurations and trying various games (Scummvm, Doom, Quake 3, Pingus) all without any issues.

Today I decided to try out OpenELEC and kept having problems with the screen on my monitor blanking out for a second or so and then coming back. Very annoying. I tried switching to a normal HDMI cable and the problem went away, so I concluded that it must be this cable drawing power from my Pi.

Now as I was saying, I was having some power problems previously, even with a genuine Samsung Galaxy S II charger, which I think without checking provides 700ma. That prompted me to switch to a powered USB hub, with the mouse and keyboard plugged into that on two ports and a third port providing power back to the Pi, leaving a fourth port spare.

Having reached the end of my tether with the screen blanking out this evening I considered not running the Pi from the USB hub and instead using the Samsung charger JUST for the Pi and the powered hub for everything else. I decided I didn't really want to do this as it meant having two separate devices plugged in to use my Pi and I was already a bit annoyed at having to use a powered hub.

Then I remembered that I have some 2.5" hard drive enclosures that come with Y-USB cables. The idea is that you plug both USB plugs in and one provides power and data connection and the second just provides additional power for more hungry drives. As I don't actually own a drive that's ever needed this second connector plugged in I decided I could sacrifice one of these cables.

A quick Google search showed that I would still only get 5v of power on the cable (I was initially concerned I would get 10v and blow my Pi!) but estimates on amps varied between 600 to 1000 ma.

I decided to go for it and grabbed a spare micro USB cable and one of these Y-USB cables and got busy. I didn't bother connecting the data wires as this is purely intended for powering the Pi, just connected the red/black wires.

Plugged it in, turned it on and it works perfectly, the screen blanking is gone!

Hopefully this might help out someone else when they're having a frustrating day...

Cheers,

Ryan

Return to “General discussion”