bmstrong

Pi Warranty?

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:21 pm

Curious as to the warranty on the Pi is? I finally pulled out one of the extra Pi's I ordered earlier this year and I'm positive the second one has a faulty HDMI port. (My other two Pi's work perfect with the same set up, same cables and different cables.) I just need it replaced or fixed. The analog out is not an option for this particular project.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi Warranty?

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:23 pm

bmstrong wrote:Curious as to the warranty on the Pi is? I finally pulled out one of the extra Pi's I ordered earlier this year and I'm positive the second one has a faulty HDMI port. (My other two Pi's work perfect with the same set up, same cables and different cables.) I just need it replaced or fixed. The analog out is not an option for this particular project.
In Europe, I think two years (by law), USA? Probably 1 year.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:51 pm

Per Newark (U.S. Farnell/Element 14 distributor), it's one year in the U.S.:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1627216.pdf

The Allied site (the U.S. RS Electronics distributor) is down for "updating", but it's probably safe to assume the warranty is also a year from there.

MCM (a Farnell secondary distributor, IIRC) also shows one year in the U.S.:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/R ... -/83-14421
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

dom

Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:17 pm

bmstrong wrote:Curious as to the warranty on the Pi is? I finally pulled out one of the extra Pi's I ordered earlier this year and I'm positive the second one has a faulty HDMI port. (My other two Pi's work perfect with the same set up, same cables and different cables.) I just need it replaced or fixed. The analog out is not an option for this particular project.
Might be worth trying the boost parameter from here:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... VI_monitor

Schorschi

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:39 pm

WARNING, do not ever purchase a Raspberry Pi from any reseller but Element 14. Why do I suggest this? Because it appears that Element 14 has the most extensive and customer friendly return policy.

I recently had a Pi start overheating, a Pi that was only about 2 months old. I never overclock or such, but still the Pi, a model 3 b, now overheats on boot. It basically useless, it overheats to above 90 degree C, after a few minutes of boot up, and then issues abound. I have had 8 or more Pis over the years, since 2012, and all but this latest one, newest one, continue to work well, without issues. Even have an older model 3 b that works fine of course. It is just this latest one, that has given me any issues.

I contacted the reseller, which is both long standing and famous, and they informed me their return policy was only 30 days! True, I should have checked before purchase, since the last time I checked, I was sure they had a 90 day return window, but such is life. But back to Element 14, they (still) have 1 year return policy for defects. This new Pi is clearly a defect issue, since the vendor in question helped me diagnose the issue. So, be warned, and double check the return policy!

Of course, the famous vendor, will never get my business again, not because they are bad... no. But because their return policy is horrible, especially, compared to Element 14.

Paul Hutch

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:27 am

Schorschi, please let us know who the short warranty seller is, if it's really their policy then they can have no objection to you naming them. (although I haven't looked I'm guessing it's Adafruit since their own products have only a 30 day warranty)

BTW, in the USA there is no mandatory warranty on products via federal law. Most states have implied warranty laws but most only insure that it works as described by the seller when you receive it. AFAICT there is no manufacturer's warranty on Raspberry Pi's so many re-sellers will also not provide a warranty, it's treated like component rather than a product.

Schorschi

Fri May 04, 2018 3:57 pm

Adafruit has the 30 day policy.

bibigonda

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:56 pm

I second the above - do not buy from Adafruit. I have three Pi Zero Ws from them, and all three overheated and died. The one from Element14 worked totally fine for years in the same environment and equipment. Same as above, Adafruit refused to provide any refunds.

Note that Adafruit return policy has no warranty at all - it only allows 30 day returns for unopened boxes. If you open it, even if it is dead, their policy says no return. You'll have to sue them under your state Lemon laws to get anything back.

jamesh

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:05 pm

bibigonda wrote:
I second the above - do not buy from Adafruit. I have three Pi Zero Ws from them, and all three overheated and died. The one from Element14 worked totally fine for years in the same environment and equipment. Same as above, Adafruit refused to provide any refunds.

Note that Adafruit return policy has no warranty at all - it only allows 30 day returns for unopened boxes. If you open it, even if it is dead, their policy says no return. You'll have to sue them under your state Lemon laws to get anything back.
Whilst I cannot comment on Adafruits returns policy, IIRC, all Zero's come off the same production line, so it's just coincidence that the failed ones all came from Adafruit.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

bibigonda

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:44 pm

Is there a possibility of certain defective batch? I've received another one from Adafruit yesterday, and this one so far has been working for a day without overheating, keeping at steady 39-45C which is similar to other controllers I'm running.

MisterEd

Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:41 am

With a Google search I found a CanaKit warranty document for the Raspberry Pi. The document showed a 12 month warranty. I wouldn't depend upon this document because it not accessible from the CanaKit web site.

After reading the document I saw the document stated that the customer had to pay both the shipping to return the Raspberry Pi and the shipping to send the replacement. This might be almost as much as a new Raspberry Pi itself. Maybe CanaKit dropped the warranty because customers complained that it was not worth the money for them to use it.

Currently CanaKit says nothing on their website about a warranty for the Raspberry Pi or anything else. A search on their site for "warranty" returns a few items that suggest a manufacturers warranty only.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:00 am

MisterEd wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:41 am
With a Google search I found a CanaKit warranty document for the Raspberry Pi. The document showed a 12 month warranty. I wouldn't depend upon this document because it not accessible from the CanaKit web site.

After reading the document I saw the document stated that the customer had to pay both the shipping to return the Raspberry Pi and the shipping to send the replacement. This might be almost as much as a new Raspberry Pi itself. Maybe CanaKit dropped the warranty because customers complained that it was not worth the money for them to use it.

Currently CanaKit says nothing on their website about a warranty for the Raspberry Pi or anything else. A search on their site for "warranty" returns a few items that suggest a manufacturers warranty only.
They are probably subject to whatever warranty limits are set by Canada.

Paul Hutch

Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:33 pm

bibigonda wrote:

That 30 day returns policy is for non-defective merchandise.

Most, maybe all, products Adafruit sells have a 30 day warranty from Adafruit, but to get service you have to post the problem on the support forum and a support engineer will verify the warranty status and help arrange replacement.

More info in this recent post about defective Pi's.
https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.p ... 83#p761583

wh7qq

Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:38 pm

I have found that dealing with one of the above vendor's "forum" for service issues is similar to dealing with Sadam Hussein...do not expect courtesy or consideration as they are perfect and everything is your fault. They have lost much business from me as a result as I now have 2 each B+, 4 zeros, a 2B and a 3B and will probably get a 4-4K in the near future...all but the first B+ from some place else not to mention all the accessories. BTW, all are working fine and have been for years...except the 3B which required a heat sink with Arctic Aluminum epoxy even with no case.

That said, I wonder if the OP has tried a different, unmodified uSD card. Just a shot in the dark.

bibigonda

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:26 am

> That 30 day returns policy is for non-defective merchandise.

I do not see any special considerations for defective merchandise in their shipping terms - https://www.adafruit.com/shippinginfo - it simply states that "We can only accept returns of unopened kits and products, within 30 days of receipt", and that "Customers are responsible for return shipping costs unless the product arrives damaged or defective".

Unfortunately the forum posts are not enforceable, as it is unclear whether the poster statement had binding authority, or simply stated personal opinion.

My personal experience with them was basically that "once you powered on the product, it has been used and returns are not accepted". Basically its all your fault - and if you don't agree its your fault, they ban you from their forum.

Paul Hutch

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:45 am

bibigonda wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:26 am
My personal experience with them was basically that "once you powered on the product, it has been used and returns are not accepted". Basically its all your fault - and if you don't agree its your fault, they ban you from their forum.
Please provide a link to the Adafruit support forum posts where you were denied warranty coverage so we can all judge if the Adafruit support response was appropriate.

bibigonda

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:32 am

Unfortunately Adafruit "conveniently" (for them) deleted the relevant forum thread.

Are you an employee, or somehow associated with Adafruit?

Paul Hutch

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:45 pm

bibigonda wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:32 am
Are you an employee, or somehow associated with Adafruit?
Nope just someone who has seen many people on the Adafruit forum get warranty replacements for opened but defective products. The only posts I've seen where the warranty was refused were people who damaged the product themselves or waited too long to report the defect.

I don't hang out there regularly I basically only visit when I'm having trouble with a product they sold to me.

Return to “General discussion”