GeekTeacher

Re: Status of SD card compatibility - What should I buy?

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:49 am

Hi, can someone just tell me the name of one low-cost 8gb SD card that will definitely work without any issues using the latest Raspian image. There's sometimes just too much information available to make a decision! Cheers.

eLJay

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:16 pm

I had a couple of cards that didn't work but they did work after I repartitioned and reformatted them using ubuntu and/or Windows 7 (64 bit).

JollyRoger

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:46 pm

I've got a Mymemory 8gb class 10 card which works well (and fast) with Raspbian and costs less than £5. I've just checked its current status (at Mymemory) and unfortunately it's currently out of stock. You may find it with another supplier. Sandisk also have a good reputation, and I've had no trouble with these.

Flywheel

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:20 pm

My experience:

Lastest image of Raspbian works fine with a 4GB SD card (which is a micro SD card actually).
When using the larger SD card I got, the 32GB, I get all these fsck errors after reboot. All the time.

So in my conclusion there is definately a problem with larger SD cards, or the drivers/image or the Raspberry SD card hardware. Has someone come up with a solution (ie. better drivers?)

Flywheel

KCE

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:49 am

My method was, having flashed an image to my original Kingston Class 4 8GB card, to then put it in the Pi, run it for a while, including writing programs and updating/upgrading my system, then shut down and copy the card as an updated image, in case anything went wrong. It worked fine for a few months, then the writing of the new image failed after about 3GB, then at 1.5Gb. Posting elsewhere got replies suggesting that:
a) the Pi's voltage was wrong, or
b) the cards (both of them!) were shot.
The voltage checked out (under load) at 4.89 - 4.95V, so I bought a new card. As Class 10 cards are competitively priced, I went for a Sandisk C10 8GB. I flashed my latest good image to it, put it in the Pi, downloaded software updates, shut down, copied the new image to my PC. So far, so good – a Class 10 is definitely faster than a Class 4! I then came to flash the new image to one of the old C4 cards – and it failed ‘Not enough space’. Whaaat!!! Sure enough, when I compared the new image with some older ones, it’s 100+MB bigger …! I use Win32 Disk Imager. Any ideas as to why a 7,639,040KB image that gets written to the Sandisk C10 comes back as a 7,761,920KB file?

zachwheeler

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Is there any update on this topic now that the B+ has been released? I would like to try using the Pi as a DVR and I would prefer to not have a USB drive hanging off of the board. Thanks!

RaTTuS

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:04 am

zachwheeler wrote:Is there any update on this topic now that the B+ has been released? I would like to try using the Pi as a DVR and I would prefer to not have a USB drive hanging off of the board. Thanks!
no issues here
your in the best position to see if it work fine
just remember that writing lots of files all the time will wear out the SD card eventually
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “General discussion”