poing

Re: 350,000 RPis pre-ordered

Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:35 am

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but couldn't find it. See the Inquirer: http://www.theinquirer.net/inq.....+350%2C000

Wow, what a success.

JohnMadda

Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:23 am

I received acknowledgement of my registration of interest on 1st March and an identical email on 9th March. So far I haven't received an invite to order. I suppose I must be in the next 350000 or million ... not. Just what is going on?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:48 am

There has been a colossal amount of information posted in the forums and in the comments section explaining what is going on.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

itimpi

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:28 am

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but couldn"t find it. See the Inquirer: http://www.theinquirer.net/inq.....+350%2C000

Wow, what a success.

I am not sure if those figures are correct.

I think the RS figures are about those who have registered interest rather than pre-ordered as at the moment that is all RS allows you to do. A much smaller number than that have actually ordered as RS have only recently started sending out codes that allow registration of interest to be converted into actual orders. It"s highly likely that many who registered interest will not place a order as they have already done it through Farnell. However that will be counter-acted by those who want more than 1 (when they are allowed to order more than 1).

The Farnell ones are more likely to be genuine pre-orders as it has been possible to do that from the outset. Farnell have said that have already placed an order for 110,000 with the manufacturers to satisfy orders already taken to be delivered before end of June. One assumes that as orders continue to arrive their numbers will grow, particularly when they open up orders to volumes of more than a single unit.

However, regardless of the detail, the numbers are already huge and are going to get bigger. That shows how the RaspPi has managed to hit a sweet spot in terms of the capability/price mix

jamesh

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:34 am

I have no knowledge of specific numbers, but my own personal estimation is that the Raspi will sell in excess of a 2 million units in it's lifetime, unless a competitor comes along which sucks sales away (which is not a problem tbh, the more the merrier for the aims of the Foundation).

I have to say its great to see the community help piling in in the troubleshooting section, and all the efforts made by people to test out new software etc. That's what its all about.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:53 am

If these go into schools as intended, or even just into kids' hands via family members, I'll bet this gets to over 10,000,000 units world-wide.

The key is going to be the software now, along with well-organized, easy-to-understand Getting Started web pages, preferably also on included SD cards that display after booting.

The future's so bright, we gotta wear shades! B)
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

poing

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:05 am

I think you can count possible clones as 'sales' as well. Doesn't matter much who makes them.

Software will be the key indeed now. Look at this computer: http://trimslice.com/web/ which is basically a Pi on steroids (and costs about €360, ten times the Pi price). A magazine I read tested the device and found it basically 'unusable' at this point in time because the software is lacking. If you then look at their forum I doubt their community will solve the problems quickly, so that could take a while.

My idea is that the Pi has a much bigger chance on success because of the enormous community, the price and the sweet 'hackability' of the board, where you won't get a polished 'computer' but rather a tinkertoy.

Just found a new use (I already need about ten or so): connect the board to my camera through USB so I can use the camera over WiFi from my main computer or laptop. I hope someone already found how to control a Nikon with Linux as the official software is WinMac only.

Michael

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:13 am

Actually, its not on steroids in every respect.  While that CPU significantly out-performs the CPU in the Raspberry Pi, the graphics core in the Raspberry Pi is significantly more capable than that in the trimslice.

Raspberry wino

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:56 pm

poing said:

I think you can count possible clones as 'sales' as well. Doesn't matter much who makes them.

Software will be the key indeed now.

Clones are fine if they are made to the same spec and so actually identical to the R-Pi. What would be a real shame would be near clones which aren't quite the same but are sold as compatible.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:10 pm

I think the real consequence of the runaway success that appears to be happening is that Microsoft should be very, very worried.  They'll be looking at a generation of kids growing up using Linux instead of Windows.

lesliew

Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:28 pm

W. H. Heydt said:

I think the real consequence of the runaway success that appears to be happening is that Microsoft should be very, very worried.  They"ll be looking at a generation of kids growing up using Linux instead of Windows.

Thats like music to my ears

Gert van Loo

Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Raspberry wino said:

....What would be a real shame would be near clones which aren't quite the same but are sold as compatible.

Altough not imposible it would be very diffcult to make a near clone. After all 99% of everything is in the BCM2835 chip. So if you start with that you are already compatible.

bobc

Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:54 pm

W. H. Heydt said:

I think the real consequence of the runaway success that appears to be happening is that Microsoft should be very, very worried.  They"ll be looking at a generation of kids growing up using Linux instead of Windows.

I think Microsoft are already on to that http://www.mslinux.org/

hamjudo

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Gert said:

Raspberry wino said:

....What would be a real shame would be near clones which aren't quite the same but are sold as compatible.

Altough not imposible it would be very diffcult to make a near clone. After all 99% of everything is in the BCM2835 chip. So if you start with that you are already compatible.

Identical clones aren't very interesting. The interesting compatible systems will be ones that provide something different than a stock Pi, perhaps different I/O and power options. There are applications that just need a few GPIO, USB, and an SD card. So one (not me, but someone with skills) could design a smaller board that just had a microSD slot, USB, and some subset of GPIO pins. There are many tradeoffs in such a design, and the designer might choose a different set of GPIO pins than the stock Pi, due to all of the issues involved in routing signals.

Golem

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:20 am

I am also a subscriber in the 10 million (and more) theory. However, I wonder how long it will take the present distributors to cope with the mad rush of initial and ensuing demand.

It seems the distributors will be struggling to cope with demand for the next couple of years, unless changes in production are implemented. Of course having to wait and see how the initial batches of R-Pi’s will be received by early adopters is crucial in determining expansions in production.

Other companies will make use of that time to bring out their own new/low price/mind blowing products which will exploit all the weaknesses they can find with the R-Pi. They certainly will justify that their more expensive product will be a better investment for a student over the course of a few years, for example.

The full potential sales of R-Pi’s can be affected by how fast they can deliver without compromising quality and upgrades.

In a way I think the R-Pi Foundation is fostering a new breed of tech innovators and business strategists.

We’ll see.
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication”
- LDV

rmm200

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:25 am

I predict you will see just as many clones of the Pi as you did of the Sinclair ZX80 - or the BBC Micro.

The Pi was the result of just right alignment of the stars. Something different will come along - but it will not be a Pi Clone.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:31 am

poing said:

Software will be the key indeed now.

As Digital Equipment Corp. (DEC) founder, CEO, and hardware engineer Ken Olsen said, "I don"t know anything about software except for one thing - IT SELLS HARDWARE."
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

semtex

Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:16 am

Golem said:

I am also a subscriber in the 10 million (and more) theory. However, I wonder how long it will take the present distributors to cope with the mad rush of initial and ensuing demand.

Farnell/E14 confirmed 2 days ago that all orders taken up to 18 April would be fulfilled by the end of June. That's 100,000+ orders in fulfilled in 2 months. RS have not made a similar claim at this time, but there is no reason to doubt they will not fulfill their backlog in a similar timeframe.

Casalor

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:17 am

Let us not forget thelikely surge in demand once the school/educational package is launched. These first orders may turn out to be just the tip of the iceberg.

Return to “General discussion”