stuporhero

Re: Programmers Manual?

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:33 pm

When I got my Spectrum +2A for Xmas in 1987, this come along with it: ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/.....Manual.pdf

Now it'd be unfair to say something along these lines should be included, but could we have something like this as an optional extra? This manual covered how to program the computer in BASIC, touched on machine code, and laid out the memory map (so you knew what to POKE or OUT in order to update gfx, change border etc.)

Spectrum Users: We were spoilt!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:34 pm

Quote from stuporhero on August 26, 2011, 18:33
When I got my Spectrum +2A for Xmas in 1987, this come along with it: ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/.....Manual.pdf

Now it'd be unfair to say something along these lines should be included, but could we have something like this as an optional extra? This manual covered how to program the computer in BASIC, touched on machine code, and laid out the memory map (so you knew what to POKE or OUT in order to update gfx, change border etc.)

Spectrum Users: We were spoilt!

That's a difficult one. The spectrum (and the BBC micro) were relatively limited machines with a simple instruction set, no real OS, and few peripherals. (I had an original BBC so I know!)

A Raspi, on the other hand, can run any compute language you can think off, has all sorts of multimedia features, has a full time network connection, and runs a sophisticated multitasking OS.

There is so much more that you could document it makes it very difficult to know where to start!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

stuporhero

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:57 pm

The Raspberry-Pi does have one thing in common with the Spectrums and the BBCs of old... Fixed hardware! You've got one graphics card/driver, one dsp/audio out, one architecture. What's written and run on one Raspberry-Pi will run on all RasPi without drivers/modification. (What's the plural for RasPi?) I'm sure the community would help you with this one, as and when the specs/driver howtos show up (memory map, etc.)

Here's hoping the Raspberry-Pi gets it's own OS down the line... :D

Michael

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:30 pm

The majority of that manual is actually a manual about the variant of the BASIC programming language included with that computer.

I don't believe a final decision has been taken yet on what particular languages will be included, but manuals already exist for most languages such as BBC BASIC (http://foundation.riscos.com/P.....tindex.pdf) and Python (http://docs.python.org/reference/) - its probably not worth trying to better them.

Would would likely be more useful is something that covers the equivilent material as the other chapters from the example you gave (how to put software on the sd card, how to change key configurations, how to connect a printer, etc) which I hope the page at http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiB.....dBeginners will grow to cover.

stuporhero

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:50 pm

Sorry I should have made myself clearer with my previous post - I never meant the language to be the point of discussion. There were valuable pieces of information throughout the book like "16384, 6912" (start location in memory of the screen area, and size) and sections on machine language (with near complete list of op-codes).

Very useful for someone wanting to push the boundaries of the chip! I accept that a modern day manual would more likely have links to web pages.

Return to “General discussion”