jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: USB WiFi almost up and running....

Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Just a quick note to say that I have managed to get a USB Wifi dongle connected, detected and up via ifconfig. It's a cheapo one from Ebuyer (Tenda) using an ralink N chipset (2870) which is actually supported only at a staging level in Debain at the moment. But hey, it seems to work.

Not connected to a network yet - waiting till I get home for that one. And I need to figure out how to use iwconfig! Fingers crossed.

Currently trying to install LXDE - there's a lot of stuff to decompress and its taking ages..!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:24 pm

nice.

does anyone at R-Pi have the spare cash to try a card like http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-.....B0002J46ZO (wifi+256Meg flash combo)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Lovely! Thanks for keeping us up to date - can't wait to see it working!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

jamesh

Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:52 pm

Quote from ukscone on August 26, 2011, 16:24
nice.

does anyone at R-Pi have the spare cash to try a card like http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-.....B0002J46ZO (wifi+256Meg flash combo)

There's not enough memory on that card (and its no longer made) to run a Raspi. Haven't found larger ones either. You need 2GB flash at least.

Also, I don't think the SD port on the Raspi support SDIO cards which is what Ii think these are. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.....gital#SDIO
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Quote from jamesh on August 26, 2011, 16:52

There's not enough memory on that card (and its no longer made) to run a Raspi. Haven't found larger ones either. You need 2GB flash at least.

Also, I don't think the SD port on the Raspi support SDIO cards which is what Ii think these are. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.....gital#SDIO

the GPU firmware blob is that big? i have a nice arm distro that fits on 128 meg sd card with all the bells and whistles i could need (ok no X but framebuffer is fine for most things)

i thoight sdio was just all the pins connected and some kernel drivers?

jamesh

Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm including all the rootfs etc in that 2GB - that the minimum build we do here. I guess it could be smaller if you want, but its also all your 'disk' storage as well.

I'm going by the Wiki entry about SDIO - pretty sure we don't support it in the HW but will check when I can.

The GPU blob is an 18MB as an elf file, plus libraries. It does an awful lot.

jamesh

Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:35 pm

Hurrah - just got LXDE working!!

Will try and post some more stuff over weekend.

obarthelemy

Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:50 pm

Your own wiki says the SD slot does SDIO.
http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiB.....cification

bnolsen

Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:54 pm

Sweet, I think I have one of these exact dongles I got 6 months or so ago. I never used it because it wasn't stable at the time.

Svartalf

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:01 pm

They're common because they're cheap. Makes for another win if you need wireless since they seem to work decently well with X86 Linux if the manufacturer didn't oops their implementation so that the internal heat of the RF section causes problems elsewhere within the device.

obarthelemy

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:03 pm

http://uk.eye.fi/products/connectx2
that one still seems manufactured. It's kinda big and expensive though, but replaces an SD card + a USB hub + a USB Wifi stick (5+5+10 ?), and leaves the sole USB port for a combined KBMS.
If you can validate it, it might be a good candidate for Liz's bulk purchase investigations, especially if they can sell you a cheaper, smaller version.
Used in a camera, they seem too automatically correct Red Eyes... by photoshopping them into freakishly blue eyes.

Svartalf

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:32 pm

Hm... I don't think you've got access to the device in a manner that you could drive the WiFi as a regular one with it. And, even if it did, you'd need to drive it via SDIO, which hasn't been said if it is/isn't available on the SD slot for this device yet.

Lob0426

Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:39 pm

I researched the eyefi. In its factory configuration it only handles video file automated transfers. Could not find any hacks or mods that gave full open wireless. It can be done (reference the other card) but no info on how to do it with the eyefi.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Lob0426

Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:54 pm

Quote from ukscone on August 26, 2011, 16:24
nice.

Actually that card probably has enough memory to hold the kernel or a bootloader. So if you can find one cheaper than $99 it could work well. It is only wireless B though so you are limited to 11 Mbps. saw one on ebay at $50 I think. There were wireless G cards also but not with memory. Somebody needs to talk EyeFi into opening the wireless so it could be used for this too.

It also is an SDIO card so we need to know if RasPi 's card reader would support it.

jamesh

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Update: Not got very far (been away all weekend), but not as successful as was in office. Wifi dongle doesn't want to pickup the ESSID via iwconfig. Although it worked fine at the office. Probably some weirdness between this dongle and my AP. Stupidly only enabled this one dongle in the kernel build rather than everything, so can't try any of the others I have at home.

Also need to sort out a new SD card - did something odd to my install and it takes a long time to boot now - something to do with LXDE I think. Note to self - backup SD card at sensible intervals so you don't need to start from scratch each time. And don't try to do too much at once!!

Lob0426

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:54 pm

It is so easy to forget to backup. You get into the project and then when something goes wrong, you have to slap yourself in the forehead, forgot to backup. Do you have a copy of the SD card somewhere?

David Calvo

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:57 am

What about dongle wifi?
Did you get to run one wifi?

jamesh

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:13 am

Not yet. Being recognised on insert and driver is running, and network comes up on 'ifconfig wlan0 up' but for some reasons won't connect to my AP at home. Need to try here in the office, but limited in time at the moment. Just rebuilding a kernel and new rootfs to try this out.

jamesh

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:34 pm

I can now change the title of this thread to "Wireless networking up and running"

Huzzah!

Tenda USB 11n adapter on a G network, takes a bit of effort getting it going - probably the staging drivers I had to build in to the kernel but once running seems pretty robust. I now have networking at home, so should be able to get on with stuff!

I knew there was a reason I liked GUI's; had to learn a load of command line stuff to get it all going - iwconfig, wpa_supplicant, dhclient etc. Still, as long as the new information hasn't pushed anything else out of my brain, it should be OK!

James

liz

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:53 pm

Brilliant - well done! Huzzah right back at you.

Blars

Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:14 am

I'm one of the people that finds the command line easier to work with -- it tends to be much more versitile than any GUI, especially when debugging. If you need help with something like this in the future, I'd recomend #debian on irc.oftc.net. There is also a #debian-arm for arm specific issues. (This assumes you are running Debian.)

jamesh

Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:16 am

I'm mid way on the issue of command line - sometimes I use use, sometimes I don't. In this case I simply wasn't familiar with iwconfig, wpa_supplicant etc because the GUI's on desktops make wireless much easier to deal with so I use them. There was also the problem that the driver is on staging at the moment, and wireless simply wasn't enabled so I had to build a new kernel.

liz

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:55 am

Quote from obarthelemy on August 26, 2011, 17:50
Your own wiki says the SD slot does SDIO.
http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiB.....cification

If you're clever enough, you should be able to boot it with the root system on a USB stick and then unmount the SD card, remove it and connect an SDIO card. Which is to say, it's wired up that way, but it's not a supported feature!

I should point out that the Wiki is a community resource, created by the community, not us, by the way; and that the word "provisional" appears in big shiny letters on that page.

obarthelemy

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:05 am

OK. I'll try to not take too much for granted. But the SDIO part (if it materializes) also means that combo RAM/Wifi SD cards can be used (saves swapping), if we find a card that's affordable and hackable.
I've dropped a line to Toshiba about their AirSomething, read somewhere the price could be $90 though.

jamesh

Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:37 pm

As opposed to a $10 SD card and a $8 USB Wireless adapter?

Return to “General discussion”