Des_Zac

Re: Wishes for 2nd gen Raspberry Pi

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:00 pm

Quote from liz on October 31, 2011, 11:14
I think Des_Zac is the only person in this thread likely to have his wishes come true in any sort of reasonable timescale! (Although Xovan might also find himself blessed by the acceleration elves. We couldn't run this project without the elves.) 8)

You'd better sell a R-Pi Hoodie :P

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Quote from Des_Zac on November 3, 2011, 18:00

Will it come with a free ASBO?

Des_Zac

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Quote from ukscone on November 3, 2011, 18:09
Quote from Des_Zac on November 3, 2011, 18:00

Will it come with a free ASBO?

Of Course! But I'm not anti-social, in fact IHASLOTSAFRIENDS! :D

But I'm not normal I suppose..

willrandship

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:43 pm

@unair doesn't the Model B already have a built-in ethernet port?

Also, I want the cases. Also, cases that can be attached together and still have good airflow individually. I want a tower of Pis!

They don't really need to attach, I can handle that part, but Ideally you won't have vent holes on both the sides and the top. That way, if the vent holes are on the top I can stack them side to side, on the side means I put them on top of each other.

Espion

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:33 pm

I think there ought to be multiple models of R-Pi in a price range between lowest price possible to about 50 USD$...
Edit: at least a single core of 1Ghz and slightly more ram (at least 512mb) would be great

bnolsen

Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:27 am

Quote from Espion on November 4, 2011, 19:33
I think there ought to be multiple models of R-Pi in a price range between lowest price possible to about 50 USD$...
Edit: at least a single core of 1Ghz and slightly more ram (at least 512mb) would be great

beaglebone *or* wait for something to be built with those new $5 OMAP3's TI released. The ram is still a cost bottleneck.

Sonshi

Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:18 pm

Wifi would be nice but would also raise the cost for sure. I wish the next "B"-Model has "Power over Ethernet"-Support.

Jessie

Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:03 pm

They will get there. The price of components will go down over time, and the feature set will increase. I'm not sure its wise to change a spec. on something like this too often. Having the spec change too much would complicate things for the target audience. The people these devices are intended to serve are young programers. Not hackers, or DIY hobbiests, they just happen to fit the bill for many of our pet projects.

jmlxg

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:54 am

Some of guys are funny wishing for things that won't happen. I would want the 2nd gen Raspberry Pi to be faster and have 48GFLOPS of GPU horsepower and a faster low power CPU like the ARM Cortex A7.

glenalec

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:40 am

Something like this:

Variations with other usb devices in place of some upstream ports also possible, of course (for example, a USB-ethernet plug in place of the left-most USB socket, possibly rotated to be facing the same way as the one on the RPi).

willrandship

Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:51 am

How is that not simply a powered USB hub?

TheLaw

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:21 am

Quote from RobinJ on August 26, 2011, 11:00
... All you guys care about is having a super fast computer for the least possible price, don't you? -.-.

I don't give a stuff about the specs. I just want a raspberrypi that runs Windows...any Windows... That will make it ten times better as an educational tool, with more programming languages and IDEs than the upcomming RPI has (including the best ones...java, c#, visual studio). Adding to this, windows is what gamers use, and that's a good area for people to start hacking in.

tumblebomb

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:57 am

@Thelaw Unfortunately most of the efforts of the foundation and the community on here is most likely not going to an effort to make a Windows compatible device. If you can get someone to port windows CE or whatever it is to ARM then feel free. It would still be a horrible mess. Most of us totally disagree that Windows is better for Education or have you not read what the Pi is for?, hacking on windows is somewhat of a different experience and its not really designed for it. some languages are very hard to get going with in Windows, and easier in Linux and vice versa. Introduce a newbie to Visual Studio, i don't think so.

i don't want to side track completely: i cant think how you could improve the pi so far. it seems to have most things i'd want. With expansion/daughterboards it sohuld be fine. I was running Ubuntu 8 on a netbook with Gnome for web browsing etc.. using less than 256mb ram when at peak. with a decent GPU on the Pi it will cope even better.

willrandship

Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:58 am

@thelaw, there are great IDEs for linux, and C# will never run on the pi unless someone ports the x86 assembly over. It doesn't matter if you're running Windows or not. (Ever heard of Mono?)

And Visual studio is not a language, it's an IDE. An IDE that will also not run on ARM for quite some time.

It also won't run ANY of your windows games without emulating an x86 CPU (in other words, think dosbox games, no higher)

Conclusion: Windows on the Pi does nothing for what you want.

Jessie

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:48 am

Quote from TheLaw on December 14, 2011, 09:21
Quote from RobinJ on August 26, 2011, 11:00
... All you guys care about is having a super fast computer for the least possible price, don't you? -.-.

I don't give a stuff about the specs. I just want a raspberrypi that runs Windows...any Windows... That will make it ten times better as an educational tool, with more programming languages and IDEs than the upcomming RPI has (including the best ones...java, c#, visual studio). Adding to this, windows is what gamers use, and that's a good area for people to start hacking in.

You simply are not going to get a PC that can run windows with any type of speed for $35. I run Windows all day long for my gaming needs, but this PC I built cost well over $2k and the OS was about $100 of that. That being said I just don't agree that Windows belongs on the R-Pi. The OS needs to be lean and mean, and MS Windows is neither, and even though CE is more lean it still isn't good enough. I know it is natural for people to want what they are comfortable with, but the best thing for this project is having a nice lean OS. I may not be as comfortable with Linux as I am with Windows but I still have no desire to put it in any form on a 700 mhz device with 256 MB of ram. It will be a challenge in its own to extract maximum performance out of this Broadcom chipset without fighting the OS.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Quote from TheLaw on December 14, 2011, 09:21

Well, you can't have one now, and there are two hopes of getting it - Bob and No.

So I am afraid you will have to look elsewhere. Quite a few nice Notebooks that would just about do what you want. Start around $200 I guess, but to be honest what you really want a a sensibly powered quad core desktop with about 4GB of RAM for that feature set. Most PC manufacturers make them, they are called PC's. I've got one, cost about $400 without the display. Although I do run Linux on it.

Oh, and there are more languages available for Linux than for Windows, and most of them are free unlike the ones on Windows.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

walney

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:18 pm

@Jamesh - while I agree with your sentiments, to be fair, a lot of the open soucery type languages are also available on Windows, and Visual Studio Express includes the IDE and all of the MS languages for free.

jamesh

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:43 pm

Quote from walney on December 16, 2011, 15:18
@Jamesh - while I agree with your sentiments, to be fair, a lot of the open soucery type languages are also available on Windows, and Visual Studio Express includes the IDE and all of the MS languages for free.

True re: languages being available, but you often have to install cygwin or similar to get them going which can be a PITA.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

kme

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:52 pm

The basic rule in software development is that you buy hardware to match your software needs. You NEVER try to force software on a fixed hardware platform.

Hardware expenses are marginal in a software project. If you need Microsoft software, go buy what hardware it takes. It's been common sense for 40 years.

jamesh

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:53 pm

Quote from kme on December 16, 2011, 15:52
The basic rule in software development is that you buy hardware to match your software needs. You NEVER try to force software on a fixed hardware platform.

Hardware expenses are marginal in a software project. If you need Microsoft software, go buy what hardware it takes. It's been common sense for 40 years.

It may be common sense, but that never stopped the accountants saying you can't have a new PC even if it does save 2 hrs a day in compile time!

piglet

Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:32 pm

I have a PC at work that BSOD's three times a week. I'm front line support for a global core application. Can I get a new PC?

No.

glenalec

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:55 am

willrandship said:

How is that not simply a powered USB hub?

Um... It is exactly that? I thougt that was too obvious to bare mentioning, so didn't get all explicit about it!

It is sized to fit perfectly against the Pi, probably in a case made to take the two as if they were one larger board.

chef

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Why not put a MICRO-SD slot on the board and more GIO pins

spamel

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:01 pm

I would like the second generation one to come with a free RasPi t-shirt.

Gu3

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:16 pm

It's interesting that a number of the "wishes" put on here seem to be very good suggestions for improvements to future versions, yet many poster seem to immediately dismiss the suggestions as not needed (e.g. the >256MB requests).

Rather than dismiss these out of hand, could they not be considered "feature requests" for an enthusiast version of the board?  Why not take what the team has learned from this version of the hardware, and look at higher performance/greater capability SOCs. Leverage your experience to produce a performance version (with a significant markup) and sell these to provide capital for your Charity/Educational/Low Cost model?

You may even get trickle down technology for future Rapberry pi low cost models.

I dunno, it just seems to me that rather than shutting down the requests with "not possible", "not on this SOC", etc, it would be preferable to log them, and consider them for an alternative PCB that doesn't have to meet your requirements for the absolute lowest cost solution.  I realize such an approach runs the risk of diverting your attention from your bigger goals, but I think if you kept it in control and were careful about it, such an approach could yield a lot of benefits to the greater project.

Just my .02 cents/pence.

And for on-topic, I wish for 60C operation and a nice aluminum case.

Return to “General discussion”