liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Wishes for 2nd gen Raspberry Pi

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Well, maybe for the Raspberry Pi owners with technological time warp 1940s families in which Dad does the banking and Mum cooks dinner, while big sister dreams about modelling and big bro plays GTA, yes. (Seriously. That's a horrible vision of the nuclear family you're peddling right there.)

That said, though, we don't think there's going to be a great deal of "can I borrow your keyboard/mouse" going on. We've sourced some very cheap and very useable supplies (peripherals and cabling) we'll be selling here for pocket money; and the enterprising sort of kid who wants to do some Python hacking is probably also enterprising enough to get his or her hands on a keyboard and mouse.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

gbl08ma

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Just put the mom playing GTA, dad thinking about modelling, the big brother cooking and the big sister doing the banking, and you get nearly the same situation, only with people busy with different things.

And yeah, a USB keyboard is $7 (I think I've seen for less!), and if you go for a little more expensive one, some even include a trackball, meaning keyboard and mice will only occupy one USB port. HDMI cables can also be cheap if you look properly and don't buy of those with gold-ended connectors. At the end, even the Pi itself is almost payable pocket money

For my project you don't even need a keyboard once it's setup, only a USB->serial converter and a Wifi antenna (I have both of these). And coincidentally the script is coded in Python. It's the perfect project for the Pi, and if it doesn't work, I hope the Pi can work as a small multimedia centre.

jackpipe

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:59 pm

I think it's up to 3rd parties to create more portable packages of r-pi isn't it, leaving the basic module as lean and cheap as possible.
I think the 1980s home micro form factor would work really well, a keyboard embedded with r-pi and a USB hub for further expansion.
Actually this would make a fairly easy school project too, if a suitably hackable keyboard can be found.

daveshah

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:44 am

<troll>I think a second R-Pi should have 10 USB 4 ports, two quad-core Cortex A15 processors, and every display and storage interface that has ever existed, for a bit of extra flexibility, 8Gbytes of DDR4 RAM and run Windows 8, Android, and Ubuntu. And it should still fit into a pocket and cost under 50$.</troll>

Actually, I'm quite happy with the Pi as it is. Maybe a version without the port headers soldered on, as a controller in a model aeroplane.

ErvKosch

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:37 am

Since we're wish listing here:
A true serial port - I know there's a UART port port but a straight RS 232 port would be great for various projects.
Better USB support. I remember a discussion about plugging in a second USB NIC into the board to make a router and how since everything is on the same pipe it would be really slow.
WiFi - That would be awesome
Solar Power Kit - Run my Ras Pi off the sun

Mr_Navigator

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:59 am

Model C Raspberry Pi ?
Next cpu up if cost is reasonable
2 x USB ports instead of the one
WiFi port instead of the LAN connection
2nd set of GPIO (paged possibly)
512Mb RAM

RichC

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:31 pm

A true serial port - I know there's a UART port port but a straight RS 232 port would be great for various projects.
RS232 would be nice - there are still loads of devices and sensors that use RS232 out there. The downside is extra board area and cost for a DB9 connector, MAX232 chip and capacitors.

Maybe you could use a USB-to-RS232 adapter? They seem reasonably cheap and then you can have as many ports as you like.

Loboexe

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:04 pm

2 X usb I like

WiFi not so much, thinking of power requirements and where would you put the arial !

I have a small WiFi router - "The Pineapple" comes with a battary pack and has a small foot print. I have seen instances where the router guts have been stripped out of the plastic case and remounted in something else.

tntexplosivesltd

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Doesn't the B board come with 2x USB ports?
With regards to RS323, it would probably be best to get a USB to RS232 adapter, or make do with the UART pins in the GPIO bank - more than adequate when it comes to sensors.
I would also not suggest removing the LAN and replacing with wi-fi, LAN is much easier to use, and uses way less power and PCB real-estate.

garyamort

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:57 pm

Quote from hajj_3 on August 30, 2011, 22:48
1ghz/512mb ram would be very nice indeed. 16GB nand flash is really cheap now ($2.68) i think, this would be loads of storage and would have incredibly fast access and sustained transfer speeds.

Your looking at module pricing, not chip pricing. Once you break that 16GB flash down into 8 2GB modules...further broken down into 256MB chips, and your right back to 256MB of memory.

I don't know how the memory controller on the processor works, but if it will only connect to 1 chip[very likely], then your choice is limited to 1 chip - no matter what the pricing is.

To attach multiple chips, you need to then have a memory controller between the processor and the memory chips to route the requests to the right range. This absolutely kills space as now you can't mount the memory on top of the processor, but you have to mount a DMA chip and every memory chip you wish to use on the board.

As far as I can tell, the other choice is to setup a connection, like a SODIMM slot where any notebook memory could be plugged. Sounds really nice and convenient...but then you have to attach the plastic connector to the board..it has to be really sturdy to remove/swap dimm's, etc.

Considering how few dev boards include memory dimm connections of any sort...and the ones that I have seen that do tend to cost 100$ more than their counterparts[and are lower performing] - I'd guess that it is quite expensive.

yakovlev

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:08 pm

Wish list:

1.) Memory (512MB or 1024MB) It probably doesn't make sense to upgrade the Pi at all until 1024 is affordable.

2.) ARMv7 architecture core. This is for Ubuntu (obviously) but also for a real FPU. This would move us into "standard" ARM territory, although the industry will probably have moved on to ARMv8 by then.

The point here is, try to stay about 2 generations behind midrange cell phones. My guess is that beyond that, you're going to have a hard time sourcing parts anyway. So, this wish list is for 3-5 years from now. However, with cell phone performance exploding the way it is (memory, not so much), I don't know how long ANY cell phone chip is commercially viable.

abishur

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:48 pm

Well it's not a cell-phone chip per se, it's also the chip being used by the roku 2. And I don't know if I'd say it's 2 generations behind cell phones, I've yet to see the cell phone with an ethernet port or can output 1080p video. Sure in terms of raw processor power I'd say that it's 1 generation behind the phones that are about to be released next year (which I guess is to say it's pretty much in line with the present "mid-range" phones out there), but one thing I've been learning through all this is the subtle shades of gray between ARM computers and ARM cell phones.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:13 pm

Quote from abishur on October 29, 2011, 16:48
And I don't know if I'd say it's 2 generations behind cell phones, I've yet to see the cell phone with an ethernet port or can output 1080p video. Sure in terms of raw processor power I'd say that it's 1 generation behind the phones that are about to be released next year (which I guess is to say it's pretty much in line with the present "mid-range" phones out there).

Well the iPhone 3G had an ARM1176 (though I think it was clocked at 500Mhz or so). As you point out, the place where the Raspberry Pi really shines is multimedia performance which is competitive or better than current devices.

obarthelemy

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:25 pm

I think 4xUSB would be much more versatile. I expect most users need Wifi rather than Ethernet, 4 USB leaves room for mouse, keyboard, net connection of choice, and spare for mass storage/recovery usb key/whatever, negating the need for a hub in most cases, saving money and hassles and issues.
I'm saying this as someone who *will* use the ethernet port on both my Bs :-)

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:46 pm

The new chip...

How about something like this:

http://www.broadcom.com/produc.....s/BCM28150
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

jamesh

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Quote from gsh on October 29, 2011, 19:46
The new chip...

How about something like this:

http://www.broadcom.com/produc.....s/BCM28150

You cannot buy that one yet.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

liz

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:58 pm

Plus, one of the reasons we use the BCM28435 is its price.

Burngate

Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:18 am

Yes you can't buy it yet, but a year from now when the 2nd gen. Pi is being designed you may be able to. Of course the price of that chip might still be wrong, but if we're just talking wishes we can wish for the right price as well.
Mind you until I get the real 1st gen Pi in my hot stickies I can't really work out what could possibly be wrong with it, so I can't generate wishes for my next one.
Me, I think when I get it I'll think it's perfect, just like a new-born.

nvoid82

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:27 pm

If anything would be added to a second generation raspberry pi, the item at the top of my list would be a high speed interface such as pata, sata, scusi, firewire, or thunderbolt. One that allows the connection of storage devices with low overhead and high throughput.

iplayfast

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:54 pm

I still think standardized pinouts would be great. Thinking of arduino type hardware takeoff.

Xovan

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:21 am

A proper accelerated graphics driver for the GPU at launch.

*flips a nickel in the wishing well*

Des_Zac

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:28 am

I hope to have official R-Pi accessories!
Instead of Spec bumps what I hope to have as extra orderable things are R-Pi cases, Mice, Speakers, keyboards, etc!

liz

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:14 am

I think Des_Zac is the only person in this thread likely to have his wishes come true in any sort of reasonable timescale! (Although Xovan might also find himself blessed by the acceleration elves. We couldn't run this project without the elves.) 8)

unaiur

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:03 pm

Ethernet port connected directly to the SoC using an RMII interface. All USB ethernet dongles I've tried had horrible performance.

shaurz

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:49 pm

I ran an up-to-date (circa 2008-ish IIRC) Arch Linux system on an ancient PC with 48MB of EDO RAM and Cyrix 333MHz processor. Of course it wasn't running KDE or GNOME (which are horribly bloated IMO) but it wasn't unusable. The RPi is a lot more powerful than that crappy old PC.

Return to “General discussion”