Bobbarker2000

Version of ubuntu for pi?

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:47 pm

Yes i am aware that ubuntu doesnt support raspberry pi but im wondering if there is a project porting ubuntu to pi. thanx :D

JeremyF

Re: Version of ubuntu for pi?

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Raspbian offers nearly all the same features as Ubuntu. What do you find missing in Raspbian? We can certainly help with that. But no, no one is currently porting the latest versions of Ubuntu to RPi.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:04 pm

Canonical said right at the outset of the Pi project that they weren't interested in supporting it. Quite vocally, actually. They're still taking that position, so sorry: no Ubuntu. Why do you want it, anyway? If it's a pretty UI you want, there are lots of other options out there.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

mline

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:11 am

ubuntu (/ʊˈbʊntuː/ uu-buun-too) is an operating system with Linux kernel based on Debian and distributed as free and open source software.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_( ... ng_system)

Use the latest Raspbian wheezy image you can geht here.
<~~>

Heater

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:30 am

In my experience Ubuntu is a disaster.
They take the testing verion of Debian and add their own modifications often breaking things along the way. Last I heard they were even suggesting that users might like to pay, with donations, towards this carnage.

Is the something in particular you need from Ubuntu? I'm sure we can get it working in Debian/Raspian as well.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:09 am

Heater wrote:In my experience Ubuntu is a disaster.
They take the testing verion of Debian and add their own modifications often breaking things along the way. Last I heard they were even suggesting that users might like to pay, with donations, towards this carnage.

Is the something in particular you need from Ubuntu? I'm sure we can get it working in Debian/Raspian as well.
In my opinion/experience, Ubuntu is great. I use it both at home and work, with Unity desktop (which I like), and it does everything I need with no problems whatsoever. No carnage as far as I can see.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

RaTTuS

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:58 am

I was a slackware fan for many years [and still am]
but ubuntu made things easy
Unity was a big step and suffered because of it, but it's still great on most machines
I use debian a lot now -
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Joe Schmoe

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:04 pm

To get back to topic (and ignoring all this "My Linux can beat up your Linux" verbiage), isn't the real answer to this question:

Yes. There is an old version of Ubuntu - something like 9.4 IIRC - that you should be able to find somewhere and install on your Pi.

?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Heater

Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Joe Schmoe,
...isn't the real answer to this question:
Yes. There is an old version of Ubuntu - something like 9.4 IIRC - that you should be able to find somewhere and install on your Pi.
No that is not the real answer to this question: I don't think it helps to offer an old unsupported version like that.

The real answer comes from Eben Upton in an interview for LinuxUser:

“You know, with the majority of Linux distributions somebody got in touch with us from their organisation saying ‘how can help you get our distribution running on Raspberry Pi,’ which was fine. Ubuntu got in touch with us to say ‘how can we stop you saying that Ubuntu runs on Raspberry Pi?’ Which I thought was pretty brutal, actually. So, yeah: they don’t support our chip, they’re not interested in supporting our chip, they’ve been quite vocal about trying to stop us from saying Ubuntu, so we stopped saying Ubuntu.

I agree with Eben that was "pretty brutal". With that attitude I happy to tell Canonical to bugger off and keep their stupid Ubuntu.

Here is the interview by the way: http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/features/ras ... eveals-all

rdb

Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:56 pm

You may also want to check out Pidora as an Ubuntu alternative. It's easily installable using NOOBS.

Joe Schmoe

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:20 pm

No that is not the real answer to this question: I don't think it helps to offer an old unsupported version like that.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending or pushing Ubuntu. I've opined earlier that when people ask for Ubuntu here, they're just enamored of the name - it's achieved marketing traction as a brand name.

But I really think that the "answer the question" answer is as I've given it. Find and install Ubuntu 9.4.

The "answer by going off on a tangent and opining on your favorite sub-topic" answer is pretty much as you've given it - namely, "Don't use Ubuntu - it's evil".
e.You may also want to check out Pidora as an Ubuntu alternative. It's easily installable using NOOBS.
In what way is Pidora like Ubuntu? Ubuntu is just Debian dressed up in Sunday clothes. It is very Debian-like - not at all RedHat/Fedora-like.

Heater

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Joe Schmoe,

Putting "...going off on a tangent and opining on your favorite sub-topic..." aside for a moment (I'm sure I will come back to it:) )

The question in the opening post is "...is [there] a project porting ubuntu to pi?"

So the real answer is "No. There is no project porting Ubuntu to the Pi".

With the follow up reason for why there isn't as given by Eben in the interview linked above.

This prompts the question "Why the obsession with Ubuntu on the Pi when there are many other options of equal quality and with enthusiastic support communities behind them?"

jackokring

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Raspbian is going to rock! And does a little already. Ubuntu? Go mint on your PC, if you can't wait for Raspbian PC Edition. :D

Don't worry about the Raspbian hardware issues, as I'm sure the PC will operate in remote server mode. All the GPIO, video and audio can be through the little cheap adapter card called the raspberry pi. The pi kind of does a hidden auto up of ssh -X, and cat5 and a local disk remote proxy visualization, brings the pi local services into the PC space. As for binary mirroring, and apt-get cross architecture duplication, well that's theoretically possible. When the server is lost, just downgrade the terminal from ssh.
Last edited by jackokring on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

Joe Schmoe

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:26 pm

This prompts the question "Why the obsession with Ubuntu on the Pi when there are many other options of equal quality and with enthusiastic support communities behind them?"
Quite so.

As I've noted so many times, the answer is "Marketing".

Ubuntu has managed to establish a name for itself - so that people are inclined to:

Ask for it by name!

jamesh

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:27 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
Quite so.

As I've noted so many times, the answer is "Marketing".

Ubuntu has managed to establish a name for itself - so that people are inclined to:

Ask for it by name!
And that, actually, is a good thing for Linux. If people start asking for Ubuntu by name, they get Linux. If you ask for Linux by name, you get three hundred people asking which distro. And they then ask for Windows.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:36 am

jamesh wrote:If you ask for Linux by name, you get three hundred people asking which distro. And they then ask for Windows.
They probably already have Windows and are looking for something better. When they get the three hundred responses asking about which distro, they wind up with a Mac. At least that runs BSD Unix/Mach, which is a step in the right direction toward Linux! :lol:

BTW, for Joe Schmoe, the ancient version of Ubuntu that does run on the Pi (for the most part, as the port was never fully completed, IIRC) is 9.0.4.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Return to “General discussion”