liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: # of Units Shipped?

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:00 pm

Actually, please don't mail me: there's an exclusivity deal in place, so we're not looking for more licencees at the moment, and my inbox is already extremely full!

(And if you're really a manufacturer seriously looking for business, why on earth are you asking on a forum rather than approaching us directly?)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:00 pm

Ervin Kosch said:

JamesH said:

Yes. But that's not public information. You will need to talk to Eben and Liz re: this, and sign lots of legal docs and NDA's. I do know that part of the contract states you cannot sell for more than the prices quoted by the Foundation, which doesn't give much room for profit. You will also likely need an independent contract with Broadcom for supply of the SoC which might be difficult to arrange. So there are quite a few hoops to jump through, but if you are really sure, go for it. Contact Liz/Eben..

Thanks, all I wanted was a direct answer.  I figure there would be a bunch hops to jump through.

But...my answer is pretty basic common sense, direct or not. This sort of information is always confidential, so you would always need to go the the boss - no-one here knows/can publicise the answers.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

ErvKosch

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:27 pm

Hey James,

That information is not always confidential.  There are numerous hardware and software licenses on the market that have posted licensing and distribution fees.  I didn't know if there was a public number to license the this technology.  From Liz's post in this thread RS & Farnell have entered into exclusivity which most likely means there's a one year embargo on new licensees.

The original person who replied to my post I felt gave me a run around.  You're answer at least direct.  Not what I wanted to hear but direct and again I thank you for that.

I have said my piece and I will consider the matter closed on my end.  Have a good day.

jamesh

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Ervin Kosch said:

Hey James,

That information is not always confidential.  There are numerous hardware and software licenses on the market that have posted licensing and distribution fees.  I didn't know if there was a public number to license the this technology.  From Liz's post in this thread RS & Farnell have entered into exclusivity which most likely means there's a one year embargo on new licensees.

The original person who replied to my post I felt gave me a run around.  You're answer at least direct.  Not what I wanted to hear but direct and again I thank you for that.

I have said my piece and I will consider the matter closed on my end.  Have a good day.

I bet all those licences were private for quite some time after they were originally worked out, and only became public later in life.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “General discussion”