campsec

Re: Who else is building a RepRap here?

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:58 pm

While I wait for my RPi I'm building a RepRap.  I'm actually building a MendelMax. Using linear bearings and Sanguinololu 1.3A electronics.  One of the uses for RPi will be to make the printer networked with the intention of spooling a design out to the printer.  Now I just need to come up with a way to automatically remove a part from the printer so the next part can print.  If only I can make the printer reliable enough to allow batch printing without babysitting!

Anyway, if you have experience with building a RepRap please stop by and let me know what you have built and what worked best for you.  This is my 1st 3D printer so I'm still in a major learning mode.

rmwebs

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:09 pm

I've wanted to build one for a while but cost+poor docs have stopped me.

I still want to build one and if I do it'll likely be the 'Longboat Prusa' (Google it) as it seems the most complete model out there.

rmm200

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:15 pm

Well that was quick - but we should probably have the moderators move this to off-topic.

I am building a Prusa Mendel, Iteration 2 - as far as I can tell. Linear bearings.

My printed parts are the cheapest I could find on EBay - and I wish I had spent more. I think they will get me going until I can print my own better replacements.

I am using an Arduino Mega 2560 (I had) with a Ramps 1.4 kit I got from Ultimachine.

SDRamps SD daughter board for disconnected printing.

Heated bed is a Mk 1 off EBay, and it seems great quality.

Hot end is from hotends.com - great price but not here yet.

Running Pronterface to Marlin (Son of Sprinter).

So far I have the frame done and am installing the print bed on the X axis. The motor will be on the back side on mine. Steppers have been tested with Ramps board.

I expect to use my Pi as a local control computer mounted next to the Arduino.

campsec

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:16 pm

Yes longboat looks good.   I chose MendelMax as perception is that it is very accurate, very stable and easy to expand.  My son and I are thinking of printing a kayak with snap together or bolt together parts.    So, I think we will be building a bigger version of the printer.  There are so many options when it comes to just how to put your printer together, we just have to see if we have the inventing skills to get it working and improve on it.   If you do decide to build one feel free to ask about how we did this or that, I'll be happy to give you any assistance I can.

campsec

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:28 pm

rmm200 said:

Well that was quick – but we should probably have the moderators move this to off-topic.

I am building a Prusa Mendel, Iteration 2 – as far as I can tell. Linear bearings.

My printed parts are the cheapest I could find on EBay – and I wish I had spent more. I think they will get me going until I can print my own better replacements.

I am using an Arduino Mega 2560 (I had) with a Ramps 1.4 kit I got from Ultimachine.

SDRamps SD daughter board for disconnected printing.

Heated bed is a Mk 1 off EBay, and it seems great quality.

Hot end is from hotends.com – great price but not here yet.

Running Pronterface to Marlin (Son of Sprinter).

So far I have the frame done and am installing the print bed on the X axis. The motor will be on the back side on mine. Steppers have been tested with Ramps board.

I expect to use my Pi as a local control computer mounted next to the Arduino.

Well this is both off topic and on topic in some ways.

Did you get your linear bearings yet?   There are inexpensive ebay/china ones, just not sure how good they are.  Haven't found anyone who has a supplier they would recommend, guess I'll have to roll the dice on that one.

I'm going with .9 degree steppers.  Heard that they will improve accuracy.  I found new ones for a good price $14 each.  Going with Sanguinololu electronics again for accuracy as the stepper drivers can do 1/16 increment steps.

I'm also using this 'chain' type stuff for driving x and y.  Should minimize or eliminate backlash altogether.

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/PartDetail.as ... roupID=312

rmm200

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Very cheap linear bearings - China - but seem OK. 8MM drill rod.

Sanyo Denko 1.8 degree steppers; about 2 ohm. $12 each. Same EBay source as printed parts.

T5 belts, plastic over steel wires. Potential upgrade area. Printed gears, also potential upgrade area.

All my threaded rod and fittings are metric, for no good reason. Only metric screws really needed are for the steppers.

Bought a new 600 watt computer power supply from Newegg for $29.  24 amp 12 volt on two rails should be fine.

Using good 3/4" birch plywood for print bed. Well it is what I had...  May be too heavy, but sure is flat.

tooblippe

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:19 pm

We build one here in  Pretoria South Africa at our hackerspace

We also made a nice hack that was featured on Engadget 

We also have a CNC router here - 

campsec

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Sweet.  Any details to share on the build, things that worked really well or things that didn't.  A CNC router would be great too, think I'll stick with the RepRap for now.

I'm just building mine in my basement.  My son is in college and has access to a grad student that has built several so we have access to parts and some advise.

What have you printed as you favorite part so far?  Anything that was really useful that you can't live without?

MIT is in the process of designing a 3D printable robot, you just add servos, electronics, batteries and sensors.

On the design side I need to get really practiced at 3D design.  I'm an electrical engineer not mechanical but I almost think it should be a dual major for some people.

rmm200

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:16 pm

Neat stuff! But you need to edit your Engadget link - it picked up Raspberrypi.org.

I love the clear printer frame.

bobc

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:13 pm

I guess I cheated a little and bought a commercial kit. I like making things, but I don't have a decent workshop so it was quite a shortcut. It is perhaps not the best printer, but after hearing some horror stories from people who bought other printers I think it came out pretty well. It came with all the parts, they fitted together, the instructions were quite clear, and it prints!

I have swapped the electronics from the original to a more open version, and I have done quite a bit of work improving the firmware for it. I also added a heated bed which is really pretty much essential. Unfortunately I am left with a "Z-wobble" type problem which I don't know the cause of.

Still, its been good fun!

rmm200

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:05 pm

bobc said:

Unfortunately I am left with a "Z-wobble" type problem which I don't know the cause of.
If you are using printed Z axis couplers, there are aluminum replacements on EBay that will help a lot. Also you might try taking the mounting screws out of the Z steppers. I am still trying to figure out how to use my "new style" printed couplers and may go the aluminum route.

JoeDaStudd

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:52 am

I build one at the end of last year, early this year.

I went with the tried and tested Prusa design (I'm in the process of upgrading using self printed Prusa iteration 2 parts). Bearings being part of the upgrade.

I tried to document the whole process as I went along (link to blog) however I did get a little side tracked with various other things (Raspberry Pi being one :-p).
There is enough documentation to build a fully working RepRap on the main wiki and official guides as well as enough support on the official forums and IRC to get you up and printing.

A work of warning the little bits soon add up, things like crimps, kapton tape, blue tape and pla soon increase the price of a build. I was about £30 over my initial cost calculation and once I started I wanted new pla (nice colours).

WDZaphod

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi,

i just printed some mounting hardware for my PI, to mount it on my Reprappro Mendel.
While booting it starts up a VNC Server (1024x600 Pixels), and Pronterface inside.
Problem is: Pronterface cannot connect to the Printer, no Idea why.
Installed is:

# apt-get install python python-serial python-wxgtk2.8 python-tk git-core

Pronterface starts up well, I can choose /dev/ttyUSB0 with 250kBaud. When I press connect, it just says:
Can't write to printer (disconnected?).
Can't read from printer (disconnected?).

Reset Jumper on Melzi is not set, Power Source is Reprap-PSU.
Any ideas?

greetings from Switzerland,
Michael

darryn

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:27 am

Hi all.
My name is Darryn and I am from Cape Town, South Africa.
I am interested in build a Prusa Iteration 2 printer.
I need to get a set of printed parts.
Can someone suggest where I can get a set, or if someone could print me a set?
I am prepared to pay for them.
TIA

WDZaphod

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:32 am

Maybe you should ask this in the reprap forum, there will be a higher chance to get it?
You can also take a look on ebay, there are very nice offers. A full set for less than 50$ :)

TonyD

Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:37 pm

We are currently building a Prusa Mendel at Newcastle Maker Space for members to use. So far we far we've printed out the plastic components courtesy of another members MakerBot and have got 95% of the materials and parts we need. We started assembling the frames on Monday and hope to have it finished in a couple of weeks
Tony

scubi

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:21 am

darryn wrote:Hi all.
My name is Darryn and I am from Cape Town, South Africa.
I am interested in build a Prusa Iteration 2 printer.
I need to get a set of printed parts.
Can someone suggest where I can get a set, or if someone could print me a set?
I am prepared to pay for them.
TIA
Hi Darryn,
Have you been able to find the parts in South Africa and started your project. If you know where to get the printed parts in South Africa , i would appreciate the help.
Thanks
Vaughan

Return to “General discussion”