gerits

Re: New photos

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:45 pm

The first pictures of the raspberry pi are arriving on twitter...

Please share if you find some more pictures or videos...

As you can see the device is running lxde and can run a web browser and gimp at the same time, that's not bad

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Awesome, thanks

gerits

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:51 pm

I also see a lot of tweets with a $35 pricetag in it, did the device become more expensive? Or are they just referring to the B version...

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Aha - I see you got there before me! I just posted about these too. I've asked the guy whose photos they are if it's OK to post them here, but I'll leave these up for the moment.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

liz

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Quote from gerits on August 25, 2011, 18:51
I alse see a lot of tweets with a $35 pricetag in it, did the device become more expensive? Or are they just referring to the B version...

That's just the B version. The model A will still be $25. I'm adding a great big clarification about this to the FAQs today.

Svartalf

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Quote from liz on August 25, 2011, 19:04
That's just the B version. The model A will still be $25. I'm adding a great big clarification about this to the FAQs today.

How many of the switches and headers will remain from these boards on the B version? I can see a lot of uses for those. :D

abishur

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:38 pm

There's a link in my sig to a labeled look at the PCB. That thread in general has a lot of good information about what is *planned* to be on the final version
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

liz

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Quote from Svartalf on August 25, 2011, 19:15
Quote from liz on August 25, 2011, 19:04

How many of the switches and headers will remain from these boards on the B version? I can see a lot of uses for those. :D

The button switches won't remain, but there will be a 30-ish pin header on the final device for you to get solder-happy with. The camera and display headers will probably be folded up into the main header, but we don't have finalised designs now, so I don't want to pin my colours to the mast and say that this is exactly how it will be.

jamesh

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Liz, in case you missed it,, there was an interesting comment in another thread about making the header available unsoldered, so that you could mount it on the other side of the board to make piggybacking on to another board more easy. Relies on the header being through hole though.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

liz

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:37 pm

I've just suggested the use of a solder-sucker!

Gert van Loo

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:34 am

PCB design is ongoing as we speak. We are still hoping to provide holes-only (no headers) as that is the cheapest option and allows you to install male/female/top/bottom connectors yourself. Ideally we will try to go to bigger holes then on the Alpha board, back to using 1/10" (2.54mm), but I am not sure we have enough space for that! Also have to look if we then need wave soldering tape to prevent the holes from closing. We have an expert on the team who does the PCB design and will know all the answers.

rmike

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:14 am

We are still hoping to provide holes-only (no headers) as that is the cheapest option and allows you to install male/female/top/bottom connectors yourself.
excellent! And no sucking needed ;-P

rew

Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:28 pm

My experience with the suckers is that about half the pins remain soldered. If you're desoldering a two or three-pin component this is do-able. But with a 30-pin header you're stuck. But the header-less option sounds good to me too. Some will ruin their boards trying to solder the headers on, but I'm confident that I can keep mine in good working order. :-)
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

hippy

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:17 am

Quote from rew on August 26, 2011, 17:28
My experience with the suckers is that about half the pins remain soldered. If you're desoldering a two or three-pin component this is do-able. But with a 30-pin header you're stuck.

A handy tip there ( assuming they are of the type I normally see, and from photos of the Beta are ) is to gently prise the plastic base holder of the headers up the pins and when completely removed you can unsolder each pin individually. Snipping the pins down to base plastic level first reduces the amount they have to be raised.

My problem is then unsoldering / suckering the holes so they don't have any solder stubbornly clinging in them; too much heat for too long and the pads may lift. How many layers are the board ? The more the harder I find getting headers out. I guess it will be a try it and see.

You can sometimes snip the base plastic to separate pins with small wire cutters but that can put shear on the pins which damages pads beneath.

Lob0426

Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:43 am

The Alphas are reported to be 6 layers. They are supposedly reducing that to 4 layers in the production models. Also there is discussion that the GPIO headers may come as loose components in the box. We are being told that we should know more in a couple of weeks.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

scologic

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:05 am

As a product dev.. can you not use stacked USB and replace it with 2 x mini usb. also can you also provide header sockets to switches so we can plug a switch in on a lead. These are 2p alterations but make the board so much easier to work with on smaller projects as smt by hand aint easy or as strong as pins thru a board.

Mark.

liz

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:15 pm

We're not using mini USB because USB is more ubiquitous and less expensive - important for our education and developing world customers. There will be exposed headers you can use.

abishur

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Edit: Whoops, took too long to reply and got beaten to the punch! I guess you can read what I have to say, but Liz already just said it! :P

I know that as far as the issue of using mini USB vs full sized USB the r-pi team has stated everything is using full sized connectors as a matter of durability. Though I'd also wager it's an issue of accessibility. Mini-usb is certainly grand, but the majority of peripherals use a full sized usb plug on the computer end. It would make the end user pay much more to have to buy full to mini usb adapters :(
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “General discussion”