ukanonymous

Please help what is happening

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:39 pm

OK I am trying to connect to my new raspberri pi through my mac. Basically when I power on the pi the red light comes on and yellow then the green ones flicker then it ends up they are all on. Does that mean it has booted up correctly because I can not seam to find the ip address.
the ethernet cable does show it is connected though. Can anyone help please?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Please help what is happening

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:49 pm

SO you do not have it plugged in to any sort of monitor to check its booted? That light sequence sounds about right.

If you can plug in to a display, log in and type ifconfig, that will display the IP address it has acquired. Then see if you can connect to it from your Mac.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

itimpi

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:53 pm

If you cannot get the IP address from your router, then you may find something like Fing for Mac to be of use. I often use Fing for iOS on my iPad to find the current address of my Pi.

ukanonymous

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:59 pm

yeah i even tried 'pi finder' app but that could not find it.

I am still stuck and I do not have an external monitor :(

ukanonymous

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:06 pm

I looked at my router and it says the only things connected via wifi are my mac book pro

DirkPrefect

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:21 pm

You will need to make sure the pi has a network cable to the router and then check the dhcp leases on the router for the pi IP address. It will not be in the wifi devices unless you have a wifi adapter and have configured it to connect to your router.

pluggy

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Reading between the lines here, the OP has got the Pi connected to his Mac with an ethernet cable. It won't have an IP address without setting up the Mac with internet sharing or with DHCP server software.

If this is the case, connect the ethernet cable to the router.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

ukanonymous

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi I have enabled internet sharing via the ethernet cable. I plugged in the pi ethernet to the router and the ip address was 192.168.1.16 so I opened teminal and typed: ssh pi@192.168.1.16 and got this:

ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.16 port 22: Operation timed out
pc3:~ raspberrypi$

I have even tried re installing the OS on the sd card. I just cant get this working its driving me mad! I have been trying for a month now.

toadslinger

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:51 pm

ukanonymous wrote:Hi I have enabled internet sharing via the ethernet cable. I plugged in the pi ethernet to the router and the ip address was 192.168.1.16 so I opened teminal and typed: ssh pi@192.168.1.16 and got this:

I have even tried re installing the OS on the sd card. I just cant get this working its driving me mad! I have been trying for a month now.
I am using a smartphone running on the same network as my Pi. I use an Android app called Fing which lists all devices on the network with their IP address. Similarly, I use an App to connect to the Pi. The result is a little more hand holding in getting connected. You are hampering the job by trying to do an initial boot up of your Pi with no monitor. How can you see any error messages or configure without a monitor? Logging in remmotely is fine once you have set everything up.

You could use the HDMI with most recent generation TVs and some flat screen monitors. If you have a PC monitor that has a DVI connector, you can get a cable with HDMI on one end and DVI on the other.

ukanonymous

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi this is what I see in my network settings. what does the ethernet ip address actually mean please?
Attachments
upload for pi question.jpg
upload for pi question.jpg (14.46 KiB) Viewed 3938 times

MrEngman

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:55 pm

ukanonymous wrote:Hi I have enabled internet sharing via the ethernet cable. I plugged in the pi ethernet to the router and the ip address was 192.168.1.16 so I opened teminal and typed: ssh pi@192.168.1.16 and got this:

You can get this type of error if you try connecting too soon after booting the Pi. It doesn't necessarily mean the connection is not working.

If you see this error don't give up and reboot, try connecting again, maybe even a couple of times.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:06 pm

ukanonymous wrote:Hi this is what I see in my network settings. what does the ethernet ip address actually mean please?
That's the IP address of your Mac's wired Ethernet port. Your Pi should obtain an address that only differs in the fourth/final number. In other words, the Pi's address should be 169.254.20.xxx, where xxx is something other than 223.

If you want to scan for your Pi, download and install nmap from http://nmap.org/book/inst-macosx.html and then execute the following command from a Terminal window on your Mac:

Code: Select all

nmap -sP 169.254.20.1/24
The only other device on the network should be your Pi if the Mac and Pi are connected to each other via just a single Ethernet cable. I you haven't changed the hostname of your Pi, its default hostname of raspberrypi should be listed along with its IP address. Learning to use nmap to scan networks is a very valuable skill, BTW.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

jojopi

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:12 am

Jim Manley wrote:That's the IP address of your Mac's wired Ethernet port. Your Pi should obtain an address that only differs in the fourth/final number. In other words, the Pi's address should be 169.254.20.xxx, where xxx is something other than 223.
The netmask is 255.255.0.0, so other addresses in the network may differ in the last two octets, not just the last one. However, 169.254/16 is link-local (RFC3927). If that is the only IP address the Mac has on the interface, then DHCP has failed and it is using the non-routeable address as a last resort. If DHCP fails on the Pi it probably will not bring up a link-local address by default, and if DHCP succeeds there will be no route between the two networks. Either way, nmap is unlikely to find the Pi.

It is not clear whether the OP is trying to:
  1. Connect both Mac and Pi via Ethernet to the same router. This is the most reliable method and should result in each getting a 192.168.1.x address.
  2. Connect the Mac to the router via Wi-Fi and the Pi to the same router via Ethernet. That should work providing the router's security settings allow communication across the two interfaces. The IP addresses may or may not be in the same network, depending on router settings.
  3. Connect the Mac to the router via Wi-Fi and share the connection to the Pi via Ethernet. I am not sure whether that is supposed to work out of the box or not, but I do believe that when it works properly, the Pi should get an IP that does not start with 169.254.

Bakul Shah

Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:37 am

ukanonymous wrote:OK I am trying to connect to my new raspberri pi through my mac. Basically when I power on the pi the red light comes on and yellow then the green ones flicker then it ends up they are all on. Does that mean it has booted up correctly because I can not seam to find the ip address.
the ethernet cable does show it is connected though. Can anyone help please?
Sounds like you are trying to share your mac's internet connection, right? Quick search reveals http://doofusdan.blogspot.com/2013/02/g ... -with.html. There are more such helpful pages.

This is assuming you have a direct ethernet connection between the mac and the RPi and the Mac is wirelessly connected to the internet & assuming your RPi is using DHCP (should be the default).

If you don't have a display connected to the RPi, to discover its IP address you can type "/usr/sbin/arp -na" on the mac in a terminal window. Look at addresses that are "on en0". You will see lines like:

Code: Select all

? (192.168.x.y) at de:ad:be:ef:ff:55 on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
With x & y in very low numbers. One of them is mac's own address, the other should be RPi's. You can ping them both. The one with a ping time under a ms is the mac, over a ms is the RPi.

ukanonymous

Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:39 am

ethernet ip address.jpg
ethernet ip address.jpg (6.11 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
Hi guys I am still STUUUUUGLING with this so I have uploaded pics with every scenario of how to obtain ip addresses.
The problem now is that the ethernet ip address of my mac is completely different to the ip address of the raspberry pi is that why they are not talking to each other?
Attachments
mac wifi ip.jpg
mac wifi ip.jpg (22.03 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
mac ip livebox.jpg
mac ip livebox.jpg (4.48 KiB) Viewed 3812 times

ukanonymous

Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:39 am

here
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (3.68 KiB) Viewed 3811 times

ukanonymous

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:10 am

I went in terminal and typed '/usr/sbin/arp -na'

then got this

(192.168.1.1) at 7c:3:d8:fc:22:98 on en1 ifscope [ethernet]
? (192.168.1.255) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on en1 ifscope [ethernet]

I then thought that the ip address of the pi was 192.168.1.1 right? so I pinged it and got no packets lost.

So I tried to create a ssh and it timed out again.

I pinged the other ip address and no packets lost so tried to establish a ssh and access was denied through port 22..

I hope one day I will find a solution to this

ukanonymous

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:21 am

Im just wondering could I do DHCP with a manual address?

itimpi

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:26 am

ukanonymous wrote:Im just wondering could I do DHCP with a manual address?
Your above screenshot suggested that Pi address was 192.168.1.16. Can you ping this address? If so then you can try to ssh to that address.

ukanonymous

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:17 am

Hi I pinged the address and got nothing :(

itimpi

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:25 am

ukanonymous wrote:Hi I pinged the address and got nothing :(
How are the two devices connected to your router? Many routers default to blocking connection between two wifi connected devices.

ukanonymous

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:41 am

my mac is connected by wifi and my pi is plugged into my mac via ethernet. I only plugged the pi into the router to get the ip address

pimachine

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:46 am

Is ssh enabled on the Pi ? I think it's supposed to be on by default in the latest versions, but I've had to manually turn it on using raspi-config every time.

ukanonymous

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:53 am

this is something I will have to check if I can borrow someones tv. When I have the pi running how do I enable it please?

andrum99

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:16 am

ukanonymous wrote:my mac is connected by wifi and my pi is plugged into my mac via ethernet. I only plugged the pi into the router to get the ip address
You need to leave the Pi plugged into the router otherwise it will no longer have the IP address 192.168.1.16.

Return to “General discussion”