procee

Midori - no address bar

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I am having a bit of a nightmare with the Midori web browser - I can't see an address bar anywhere on it, nor can I seem to find an option that would let me turn it on/off.

It's been like this since I first started the Pi up a couple of weeks or so ago, despite a 'remove' of midori and subsequent reinstall. It's even the same after upgrading the OS today.

If it helps, I'm running Raspbian wheezy, model B Pi, output is to a TV (I can see the whole of the web browser, so the address bar isn't just off screen or anything).

PSU is a 5.25V 2A one which seems to run everything just fine, I am also building a 5.25V 5A version just because I had bits lying about for it.

TIA for the help.

sdjf

Re: Midori - no address bar

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:13 pm

I went nuts with it too, until a friend told me how to find the controls. But they aren't working very well in the version I have.

Have you clicked on the little arrow in the upper right corner? That makes for a dropdown menu - sort of - but I still do not see anything resembling an address bar.

As a temporary fix, do you see the option to add bookmarks in the top bar? If you click on that, there is an address bar. Not very useful if you don't want to bookmark everywhere you go, but maybe it will help as a temporary solution.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

sdjf

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:20 pm

Accordimg to the following page, there is no address bar, midori tries to guess whether you are entering an address or a search when you type something in the location bar.

http://wiki.xfce.org/midori/faq

But I don't see any place to type anything or any tools that are mentioned, that would restore a bar with a box to type in, in it. I was running Midori 5 something, and downgraded to 4.7 something, and the 4.7 seems less broken with more options when I click on the little arrow in the upper right corner.

But still no bar to type in other than bookmarks.

Clues, anyone?
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

kenmoore

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:48 am

Holy cow, this issue is ruining my mood! Something's terribly awry... a Google Images search for "midori browser" shows several screenshots with an address bar sharing a row with some icons. Clearly it's just a bug, or a very cruel joke. Still, not a great first impression of Midori. I may install Chromium.

sdjf

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Yeah, I find it quite annoying too. You might try installing dwb or luakit. I have been running them both and they are much better performers than midori. The only catch is they take keyboard input, you have to type a colon : and then give them commands. A slight learning curve, but they are lightweight for sure. I have not yet figured out how to download images in luakit, have succeeded by typing "download" in dwb.

jackokring

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Have you maximized the window to stretch to the edges of the screen? Is it double click the title bar?

I think rmdir: failed to remove `/etc/xdg/midori/extensions/libadblock.so': No such file or directory was a good joke on the install. :D
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

klricks

Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:55 am

The address (navigation) bar is a bit elusive.

If you have no Menubar, no Navigation bar, and no Bookmark bar...... nothing but a web page view then RIGHT CLICK anywhere on the screen, but not on the bar at the very top. Find Navigation bar at the bottom of the list and enable it. (Once enabled, Navigation bar disappears from this list).

Now you will see a tiny MENU icon in the top right side of the Navigation bar. RIGHT CLICK on that. You will get a list box where you can enable or disable all the different bars.

Now you can RIGHT CLICK on a blank part of any of these bars to get the same menu.

What I miss is a home page icon button. Getting to home page is a 2 step process by choosing Go from the menu then homepage.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

sdjf

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:09 am

That is good information, but what has brought the address bar back for me was downgrading to arch's version "midori 0.4.7-3" and the address bar is there without having to do anything special.

One caveat is that I thought there was still no address bar after the downgrade, but after rebooting for another reason, I just have it open now and the address bar is there like it ought to be.

pleriche

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:03 am

One small but important point is missing from this thread, or only alluded to in passing.

Having got the menu bar back as described I still didn't have the address or search boxes in it. After driving myself crazy I discovered that they only appear if the Midori window is wider than a certain width. Increase the width of the window ad they'll appear, as if by magic! It seems that the default window size on the Raspbian installation of Midori is too small. No idea where this is set, but if anyone knows it'd be worth raising a bug report.

Regards - Philip

fruitoftheloom

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:13 am

pleriche wrote:One small but important point is missing from this thread, or only alluded to in passing.

Having got the menu bar back as described I still didn't have the address or search boxes in it. After driving myself crazy I discovered that they only appear if the Midori window is wider than a certain width. Increase the width of the window ad they'll appear, as if by magic! It seems that the default window size on the Raspbian installation of Midori is too small. No idea where this is set, but if anyone knows it'd be worth raising a bug report.

Regards - Philip
Midori has been replaced by Epiphany in Raspbian Wheezy, also the post you responded to is 18 months old ;)
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

Return to “General discussion”