[email protected]

Re: First Rpi sells on Ebay for more than 160 pounds! What would you sell yours for?

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:28 pm

mikezoe said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rasp.....20c4bed0ef

I wonder how long before the selling price reduces to 50 quid?

Theres 2 more on for £140+ right now too... Still... supply and demand, I guess!

Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

dawilson123

Re: First Rpi sells on Ebay for more than 160 pounds! What would you sell yours for?

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:51 pm

I could sell mine, but I'm not going to, since I went through enough hassle to get it in the first place

mikezoe

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:53 pm

Has your's been delivered? If so what have you done with it so far? Mine's not due until May 14th sadly. By then the Ebay price will be about 75 quid.

dawilson123

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:01 pm

I bought a 32GB Class 10 SD card and I've realised that it will stand no chance whatsoever of working. I ordered a new SD card off Amazon last night and it should arrive tomorrow or on Wednesday. I made sure that it's one of the cards, which is known to work (from the Wiki page).

I've also got to heavily modify the aluminium case I bought from China (I have a cunning plan, as Baldrick would say )

I want to get the case sorted out before I start messing with the S/W side. It will also give the other people who have received one, time to write Idiot's guides which I can follow, since I have no idea how to use Debian or Fedora.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Well, I was online at 6am and didn't get in on the first batch.  So I've unkind thoughts about the lucky bastards who got ahead of me, purely for the opportunity to put their Pi on ebay and make themselves an undeserved profit.

I wouldn't bid for one on ebay.

If I had one, I wouldn't have put it up on ebay the instant I'd been notified that it was on its way.

I'll just possess myself with patience and await my opportunity to buy a factory fresh one, that hasn't been through a set of sticky fingers, and pay 30 quid for the opportunity instead of £176.10 (current @ 20:00) PLUS £5.90 express delivery, for the benefit of "lgdrjd470"...

And there were those who complained that Farnell/RS delivery rates were extortionate...
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

mikezoe

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Can u write a blog about your Rpi experience as a newby (warts and all) and put on blogger.com. Would be fascinating for all of us.

dawilson123

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:11 pm

mikezoe said:

Can u write a blog about your Rpi experience as a newby (warts and all) and put on blogger.com. Would be fascinating for all of us.

Okay, will do.

mikezoe

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Put the url link to it here would you? When mine arrives I will do likewise.

dawilson123

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:15 pm

I'll probably keep a worklog on here to make it easier.

dawilson123

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:28 pm

It was amusing that I handled my R-PI as if it was made of glass (holding it by the edges after earthing myself on the radiator), since it's so difficult to get a replacement.

It reminded me of when a £650 CPU fell out of my hand on to a hard floor, whilst I was cleaning off the thermal paste from the heatsink. Installing the CPU was the last thing I had to do after re-building my PC in a new case with a new liquid cooling system. I knackered the CPU (the drop bent one of the corners slightly). It's safe to say that there were a lot of expletives from me after it happened. Any way, the silver lining was that I ended up upgrading the CPU, MB and RAM to an I7 system. Ever since then, I've been a lot more careful handling electronic components!

I made the CPU into a key ring:

reiuyi

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:33 pm

I actually reported this user on eBay because he doesn't prove he actually has one (stock photo, standard description). So it might as well be a pre-sale item which isn't allowed on ebay.

For now you can just report them for being pre-sales on eBay should remove them. Unless the seller can clearly prove he owns one.

mikezoe

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Sold for 240 quid so a profit of 216.44 quid! No-one has commented on what price they would let their's go!

toxibunny

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:51 pm

160 quid? If I had one now, I"d probably put it on eBay. You"d be daft not to, really, what with the rolling production and all. I"d spend my "highly unethical" gains on a cheap HDMI monitor, wireless USB keyboard and mouse, powered USB hub, and still have enough left for a new raspi in a few weeks, a couple of beers and a game of snooker...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

mikezoe

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Well said! Can anyone suggest why someone would pay 240 quid for the Rpi tonight?

toxibunny

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:55 pm

I"d be happy if it went for 20 quid more than I bought it for. 20 quid profit just for getting up early seems fair enough...

zag

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:57 pm

DeliciousRaspberryCake said:

I actually reported this user on eBay because he doesn't prove he actually has one (stock photo, standard description). So it might as well be a pre-sale item which isn't allowed on ebay.

For now you can just report them for being pre-sales on eBay should remove them. Unless the seller can clearly prove he owns one.

Using stock photos isn't against the rules on ebay. The 1st batch were delivered today so its not a "pre sale" either.

I'm guessing within a couple of days they will go down in price to around £100 on ebay which is when I might be tempted.
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:58 pm

mikezoe said:

Well said! Can anyone suggest why someone would pay 240 quid for the Rpi tonight?

Perhaps a commercial reason, for example wanting to be the first who can deliver Raspi cases, (with correct, not guessed, dimensions) or an application (device) based on a Raspi.

naicheben

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:59 pm

mikezoe said:

Why are they doing sports? Boxing? Formular1?

To be the first! (well, hey they aren't but we'll not tell them

reiuyi

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:00 pm

zag said:

Using stock photos isn't against the rules on ebay. The 1st batch were delivered today so its not a "pre sale" either.

I'm guessing within a couple of days they will go down in price to around £100 on ebay which is when I might be tempted.

Please read my comment again. The seller doesn't prove he owns a raspberry pi (which is still very rare), nor does he state it's a pre-sale. That's against trading rules on ebay. Anyone can fake he actually owns one, get in the huge profits from all the silly people falling for it and send one over in a month or two when supply is high.

mikezoe

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:02 pm

Good point! You can't even get Ebay interested for about 28 days after an auction has finished re non-delivery!

monpjc

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:11 pm

How much.?

I want a million pounds in unmarked notes, a plane full of fuel and ready to fly to a private island off Mexico!

You can't replace the first batch and one day you will regret giving it up like I did my 4004 intel chip, My first ever ZX81 and Spectrum, My original Star Wars figures and ships. I was young and stupid, now I'm old and value what I have in my hands.

I may only use it for a few weeks, months or years till the next new toy comes out. But I'll always own one of the first Raspberry Pi's.

Paul (@monpjc)

[email protected]

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:19 pm

monpjc said:

How much.?

I want a million pounds in unmarked notes, a plane full of fuel and ready to fly to a private island off Mexico!

You can't replace the first batch and one day you will regret giving it up like I did my 4004 intel chip, My first ever ZX81 and Spectrum, My original Star Wars figures and ships. I was young and stupid, now I'm old and value what I have in my hands.

I may only use it for a few weeks, months or years till the next new toy comes out. But I'll always own one of the first Raspberry Pi's.

Paul (@monpjc)

Yup - there is that - just look at some auctions for stuff in original packaging, etc. A Sinclair Mk14 sold last week for £900 and it wasn't even working. (I have one is slightly scruffy condition, but it is working - think what I could get for that?)

But I'm happy to wait my turn...

(but if I were offered one tomorow for under £100 I'd be sorely tempted!!!)

Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

toxibunny

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:27 pm

I pity da foo that keeps his/her raspi in the box for 15 years just in the hope that it"ll be worth something for nostalgia reasons someday...

Return to “General discussion”