TonyD

Re: Delivery !

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:20 pm

woops posted twice by mistake
Tony

Montala

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:31 pm

It is interesting to hear that they now appear to be shipping (in the UK at least) by Parcel Force rather than by UPS.

It is probably a bit cheaper for them, and as it is still a 24 hour or 'next day' service shouldn't matter too much!

Fortunately we enjoy a good service from Parcel Force... and they usually come fairly early anyway, which is always good!

It is also interesting to hear that quite a few customers actually received theirs last week, and therefore had the whole weekend to 'play' with them!

OK... I am jealous... I admit it!

TonyD

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Nothing to be jealous about

I didn't get around to plugging it in until Sunday night so I've only had it a couple more hours than the others being delivered
Tony

Tass

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:26 pm

Up and running, booting up smoothly, into the full GUI in less than a minute.  My first impressions – very small, very fast, AWESOME!

EDIT: Comfortably booting up in under 60 seconds

http://youtu.be/q_5mbDLA3KI

dawilson123

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Tass said:

Up and running, booting up smoothly, into the full GUI in less than a minute.  My first impressions – very small, very fast, AWESOME!

Congrats, although your YouTube clip doesn't work.

Tass

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:56 pm

dawilson123 said:

Tass said:

Yes, don't know what happened there - starting the upload again...

Tass

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:32 pm

dawilson123 said:

OK - here it is:

And some more stills:

http://myraspberrypiexperience.....n-box.html

Robert_M

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:43 pm

This is exciting! Thanks for sharing the pictures & videos
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:49 am

Tass said:

Apparently this is all I get for the next 2 hours...

What, no copy of today's Hampshire Chronicle, Daily Echo, Hampshire/Portsmouth Telegraph, Aldershot News and Mail ... in the photo to establish proof of life?  :)

Congratulations, it's a Pi!
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

spurious

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:21 am

53 seconds I make that from power to usable desktop... I don't get that on my i7 Windows laptop!

Slow?!.. I think not!

Excelent!

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:27 am

If only the speed of a computer was judged on how fast it boots up

T.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

0rphu

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 am

If anyone from outside the UK gets theirs, please scream. I'm getting impatient (again). Everyone who already got one, I'm happy for you

maztermin

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:47 am

just checked with farnell Ireland when I could expect the card.. when I ordered they sent out an email with ETA april 16th, then I got one for may a few weeks later.

and now when I contacted them, they say sometime in august...

I pre-ordered mine as soon as they opened up for it in february...

6 months delivery time??? that's insane..

./me='starting to get frustrated';

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:09 pm

I wouldn't read too much into what a random farnell salesguy says. AIUI farnell's computers have autogenerated a very pessimistic date in august. Still you are somewhat right, between the ethernet screwup, the unprecedented demand and the CE issue (which afaict was caused by the unprecedented demand) the delays have been long and I think it may hurt the foundations goal of getting them into schools by next academic year.

I've seen one report on the forums already from someone in ireland who has had theirs shipped by farnell and an ebayer in sweeden responded to my request to prove that he really had a Pi to sell with a picture of his RS box (with his name on a peice of paper on top to prove he wasn't using a stock photo). So it seems both RS and farnell ARE shipping Pis to european countries other than the UK.

P.S. afaict there isn't really a "farnell ireland", there is an ireland website and an irish phone number but AIUI all european farnell orders are shipped from either leeds or leige (or sometimes a mixture of both).

Tass

Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:24 pm

plugwash said:

Still you are somewhat right, between the ethernet screwup, the unprecedented demand and the CE issue (which afaict was caused by the unprecedented demand) the delays have been long and I think it may hurt the foundations goal of getting them into schools by next academic year.

My order was delayed by 5 weeks (original date was 12th March, delivered on the 16th April), and I think this was almost all down to the points above.  I think initially this will be the delay that most people see – possibly a bit longer as RS/Farnell seem to be aiming for monthly shipments.  Once production is at full steam (not to say that it isn't already) I think we'll see that 5 weeks start to drop.

Pure speculation, but I don't think it'll be too long now…

masterluke

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Mine was delivered to Ireland today - would of been yesterday but for a UPS "sorting error". It was shipped from Leeds via Germany according to UPS parcel tracking.

nimdy

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:22 pm

I stupidly had mine delivered to my home rather than the office (I ALWAYS have stuff delivered to the office, even christmas presents!)

Got my tracking code last night from Parcelforce, and assumed they would take it back to the local parcelforce depot down the road to me. Instead the missed delivery card says its been sent to the local post office which closes at 17:30 on the dot. I get there at 17:32 and the shutters are down with the staff counting the coins in the tills.

Looks like I have to wait another day

Scottland89

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Ater a failed UPS delivery yesterday, the change of address worked brilliant and got it delivered to my office. Now got to wait till I finish before I can try it out.

killor

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:26 am

selsinork said:

killor said:

I ask the lucky ones who publish the RPI measures.

My (cheapo) digital micrometer says the PCB is 57.1mm x 85.7mm.  Connectors obviously overhang, but I'm too busy using the Pi to measure all of those

Very friendly!!

Thank's
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

fodi

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:25 pm

i was among the ones that received the letter from rs components in march about being in the first batch, however not included in the actual orders this weekend

so i sent a letter to rs components and they said that in 7 working days a new bunch of letters with codes will be sent out to members of this group

hope this satisfies some that are waiting for the code from rs components

peterbwf

Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:15 pm

fodi said:

i was among the ones that received the letter from rs components in march about being in the first batch, however not included in the actual orders this weekend

so i sent a letter to rs components and they said that in 7 working days a new bunch of letters with codes will be sent out to members of this group

hope this satisfies some that are waiting for the code from rs components

Awesome, thanks for this update. I have e-mailed and complained to RS 3 times, and all I got was some robot response which in no way answered my question.

Gotta say, if they are trying to expand their customer base they are going the wrong way about it.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:23 pm

Let's say they have 100k customers. And 2% of those complain every few days, trying to find more information. That 2000 custom emails a week. I can see why they use robots emailers.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Montala

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Perhaps if they sent out weekly updates, like they keep on saying they will do, (but don"t!) then they wouldn"t receive quite so many complaints!

Edit: Literally 10 minutes after I had written the above comment an email from RS Online arrived in my In-Box, with a progress update.

No Pi for me just yet, but they conclude with "Thanks for your continued patience and please rest assured that your Pi will be on its way as soon as we can bake it!" which does give me some sort of re-assurance that the do at least have a record of my interest!

They seem to be better than Farnell/Element 14 at providing updates at the moment, but hopefully it won't be too long before I hear something from them also.

Return to “General discussion”