bassu

Re: Third world countries and Raspberry Pi.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:08 am

I think Raspberry Pi can bring a breakthrough in third world countries. People in these countries are the ones, who deserve the device, the most -- mainly cause of power crises and unaffordable computing.

Unfortunately Farnell either seems to be quiet or sluggish in responding back for shipping to these countries.

RaTTuS

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:36 am

the is RS also - ,

which countries do you consider 3rd world
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:55 am

bassu said:

I think Raspberry Pi can bring a breakthrough in third world countries. People in these countries are the ones, who deserve the device, the most -- mainly cause of power crises and unaffordable computing.

Unfortunately Farnell either seems to be quiet or sluggish in responding back for shipping to these countries.

I agree, but what do you propose?
Raspberry Pi Cases for your Raspberry Pi! Unique, colourful, customisable designs available from ModMyPi now!

bassu

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:26 pm

modmypi said:

bassu said:

I agree, but what do you propose?

A better distribution and sales platform!

bassu

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:36 pm

RaTTuS said:

the is RS also – ,

which countries do you consider 3rd world

Mr. RS (i don't know what the  heck does it stand for)

Have you heard about Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World

RaTTuS

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:25 am

R.S. Components the other distributer

and I was asking which countries you consider to be 3rd world [and not being supported by RS / Farnnel ] as you must have had at least one in mind when you posted about shipping
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

n31l

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:53 pm

As this is ment to be for the 3rd world etc, what does that make my house?  VGA output is old hat so not supported! I have 2-3 VGA monitors CRT & LCD, 5 TV's but only one TV has a HDMI input, 3 have VGA inputs?

Am i lead to expect that all 3rd world countries have better access to monitors and TV's with HDMI inputs than I do? Where do all the old VGA monitors go? I keep seeing loads on tips in now where was it,.................That's it, in the 3rd world!

Gert van Loo

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:54 pm

n31l said:

As this is ment to be for the 3rd world etc, what does that make my house?  VGA output is old hat so not supported! I have 2-3 VGA monitors CRT & LCD, 5 TV's but only one TV has a HDMI input, 3 have VGA inputs?

Am i lead to expect that all 3rd world countries have better access to monitors and TV's with HDMI inputs than I do? Where do all the old VGA monitors go? I keep seeing loads on tips in now where was it,.................That's it, in the 3rd world!

That is why there is a composite output on the board. You don't get beautiful hi-res 1080p pictures but you can connect it to almost any TV out there.

bassu

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:29 am

Oh well - all of 'em.

For instance Bangladesh, Uganda etc. But anyway my point was, none of these sellers have distributors in poorest countries of the world.

Btw, is there any ETA on second shipping? Thanks.

RaTTuS said:

R.S. Components the other distributer

and I was asking which countries you consider to be 3rd world [and not being supported by RS / Farnnel ] as you must have had at least one in mind when you posted about shipping

bassu

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:39 am

Good question.

But n3tl1, you forgot about composite video option.
All the old analogue TVs and monitors that you guys threw out in the late 90s cause you got new ones or for any other reason you can think of; arrvied here in Asia and Africa where we buy "em dirt cheap and use "em even though there"s a big ugly and irremovable stain in the center of screen

n31l said:

As this is ment to be for the 3rd world etc, what does that make my house?  VGA output is old hat so not supported! I have 2-3 VGA monitors CRT & LCD, 5 TV"s but only one TV has a HDMI input, 3 have VGA inputs?

Am i lead to expect that all 3rd world countries have better access to monitors and TV"s with HDMI inputs than I do? Where do all the old VGA monitors go? I keep seeing loads on tips in now where was it,……………..That"s it, in the 3rd world!

senatornorth

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:22 am

I propose a low cost console system somewhat similar to a small arcade for third world countries. An LCD through the boards CPIO and a keyboard/touchpad combo.

Let's brainstorm what applications reside on the build in a system without internet:

Wikipedia
OpenOffice
....you chime in.

Return to “General discussion”