Antivirusvivente

Wireless communication

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:58 am

Hi guys, i need help with my home-made domotic system developed with Raspberry Pi

The ducts installed into my house are very small, and i can't pass the cables for each room. I was wondering if there is a way to connect for each room, two PIR sensors and a relay, and let them communicate with my Domotic unit with a wireless communication.

Ps, i was thinking about something like a cheaper zigbee module, but i think i have to write a custom controller to send the informations of the PIRs and the relay.

Any suggestions will be accepted. Thank you!
DomoHome is coming! - RaspberryPi ~ Raspbian ~ Android
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Domohome/155791057916884

Antivirusvivente

Re: Wireless communication

Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:24 am

No one can help?

andrewfriand

Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:56 am

I think you know the answer to your own question, there lots of pages out there documenting home automation solutions with varying degrees of home made contribution to the domestic turnkey all the way up to industrial turnkey solutions. So to answer your question it can be done over wireless. Arduino & zigbee at the sensor end is a common way to implement and its dicussed quite often round here as it fairly simple to get the information off the radio module at the Pi end.
edit forgot to point to the Projects section of forum.

Antivirusvivente

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:09 am

andrewfriand wrote:I think you know the answer to your own question, there lots of pages out there documenting home automation solutions with varying degrees of home made contribution to the domestic turnkey all the way up to industrial turnkey solutions. So to answer your question it can be done over wireless. Arduino & zigbee at the sensor end is a common way to implement and its dicussed quite often round here as it fairly simple to get the information off the radio module at the Pi end.
edit forgot to point to the Projects section of forum.
I know something about this solution, but it's not cheaper! Having Arduino+Zigbee i should pay at least 50-60$ for each rooms, which is not convenient.
That's because I was looking for some embedded solution, maybe a PIC that is programmable and ready to be interfaced with my PIRs and relays.

I don't know how to program a PIC, but I can learn!

andrewfriand

Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:43 pm

i am going to point you into the Projects section and your questions may be better answered in some of the home automation forums out there. I think you missed my point and perhaps it a point that other people may have also missed, the Arduino is a great way to prototype your ideas, maybe not the best but its very useful, at the heart of it is a microcontroller with all the periphery to allow you to construct your idea. It is certainly a great way to start off learning the basics and the concepts and there is a community who can help you if you ask the right questions in the correct places.
Once you have your design you can build your final circuit around the same microcontroller and leverage your code or choose a completly different controller and almost start again but you have all the experience you gained in the research phase.
What is apparant that a lot of people never migrate to the final circuit stage and continue to use an off the shelf Arduino board,it has a known quality and price point although they no longer use 90% of the periphery.
From the Pi end the radio side of things is straightforward.
I think you are well on your way with your research, see how much you can get your $50-60 down to and go from there.

Return to “General discussion”