rmike

Re: RESET & POWER input at the 1.27mm pin-strip

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi,

hope my request isn't already discussed somewhere else in this forum...
It would be great to have a reset input and the 6-20V power input additionally at the 1.27mm pin-strip together with the 16 spare GPIOs.
This would make interfacing to IO-Boards easier because there would be no need for soldering wires to the reset switch and power connector.

Michael

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:20 pm

We'll put it on the list of things to think about. (Have to say, at the moment, that's a lengthy list…)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

abishur

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:48 pm

One thing to consider is that at the very least you could take one of the GPIOs and just make a driver that says "When this pin gets voltage, run the reset command". I'm assuming your desire for the power connector to have some pins reserved on the GPIO is so you can use it to power a daughter board... that would be fairly practical, though there would be other complications there and you might be better off in the long run just using a separate power supply for a daughter board or using the voltage from a USB port.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Svartalf

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Well, you COULD wire up a hard-reset by putting a momentary interrupter switch inline on your power supply. The main reason you had a warm/cold boot was the time it took the PC to boot, more than anything. :D

abishur

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:00 am

Oh, if you're looking for that kind of reset switch, I believe SW1 is already a reset switch. If it makes any difference there's no power button. If it has power it's on and if it doesn't have power it's off (well I suppose that part goes without say :P )
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

rmike

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:01 am

Hi,
i am primary talking about powering and reseting the raspi board through some other electronics and not the way around.

Michael

mateli

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:22 am

Quote from liz on August 24, 2011, 22:20
We'll put it on the list of things to think about. (Have to say, at the moment, that's a lengthy list…)

Remember to save some for the next generation of the device :)

To many projects turn into vaporvare because they never release anything. There are functionality enough on the board for many of us, so lets launch it asap. Then let the hardware developers move on to the next generation (2012) while the rest of us (software developers and users) is developing cool applications for the boards being produced...

Remember that the target is to make a cheep device for schools, a target that suffers if the device is delayed because it is overdesigned.

Lets push everything that is not a hard requirement for 1.0 to the next generation. Test the alpha, fix all blockers - then release. And then start adding more stuff and repeat the development cycle. Look at the success of the fixed ubuntu and fedora schedules for this. 6 months releases may be hard for a hardware project but 12 months should be fine.

eggn1n3

Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:53 am

Does anyone know how easy it is to get headers and flatcables for 1.27mm? So far it seems not that easy to find them anywhere on the net....

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:04 am

Eggn, where are you from?

Digikey, Mouser, Element14 should all have what you need. Which one is best will depend on where you are located.

jamesh

Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:05 am

Quote from mateli on August 25, 2011, 09:22
Quote from liz on August 24, 2011, 22:20

Remember to save some for the next generation of the device :)

To many projects turn into vaporvare because they never release anything. There are functionality enough on the board for many of us, so lets launch it asap. Then let the hardware developers move on to the next generation (2012) while the rest of us (software developers and users) is developing cool applications for the boards being produced...

Remember that the target is to make a cheep device for schools, a target that suffers if the device is delayed because it is overdesigned.

Lets push everything that is not a hard requirement for 1.0 to the next generation. Test the alpha, fix all blockers - then release. And then start adding more stuff and repeat the development cycle. Look at the success of the fixed ubuntu and fedora schedules for this. 6 months releases may be hard for a hardware project but 12 months should be fine.

Don't worry, most of this stuff will be for a future device. We still need your suggestions though in case something really obviously missed turns up.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

liz

Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:20 am

Exactly - any suggestions from the board that we're taking on won't be for the first iteration, but we really, really do appreciate your input. Hive mind and all that.

rmike

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:36 pm

Hi,
To many projects turn into vaporvare because they never release anything.
i agree with you on that, but since the final board is not ready, providing some header space somewhere on the board with reset and power input does not seem to create a problem to me.
It does not need to be equipped.( like J2 on the front photo (DSCF1808.jpg) of the board)

Michael

miauto

Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:11 pm

Quote from rmike on August 25, 2011, 18:36
Hi,
To many projects turn into vaporvare because they never release anything.
i agree with you on that, but since the final board is not ready, providing some header space somewhere on the board with reset and power input does not seem to create a problem to me.
It does not need to be equipped.( like J2 on the front photo (DSCF1808.jpg) of the board)

Michael

i agree with you. its very basic to have a power on off input. its something that even i thought it was design from the begging 8-/

liz

Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:53 pm

As with all of the hardware suggestions we're getting, it comes down to cost. Extra switches mean extra pennies on the board - I can't emphasise enough how hard we're having to work to keep the component price down so we can sell the model A for $25. For this iteration, additional switches just aren't practical - there's nothing stopping you from hacking your own switch onto your board when you have one, though.

rmike

Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi Liz,
Extra switches mean extra pennies on the board
at least i do not talk about extra switches. I'm only suggesting adding some header space somewhere at no cost for the above features. For me the reset switch which can be seen in http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-.....00x225.jpg could be completely removed even reducing costs further...

liz

Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:24 pm

OIC - are you proposing a link that can be desoldered? I guess we could add a couple of pads that you can connect a switch across. (That reset switch you mention is alpha board only - it's just for our devs and won't make it to the final version.)

Gert van Loo

Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:06 pm

Yep, that was the plan. Only issue is: what switch?
We have one GPIO LED, I was planning to remove that too but it has shown so terribly useful, that I think we will leave it. I am in two minds about the reset switch. Yes we can drop it but we use it so often in development....

rmike

Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi Liz,

you could provide some smd pads for the Schurter LSH 1301.xx series for example for RESET.
See: http://www.schurterinc.com/ilp.....yp_lph.pdf
But please provide also some through hole pads for self soldering pin headers for power and reset too.

Michael

Return to “General discussion”