simonIOW

Re: one for sale on Ebay this is wrong as the foundation is loosing out here.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:35 pm

scep said:

It's a mass produced computer, not a unique artwork or first editon of Shakespeare. Why the outrage? [If it was not hers to sell then, yes, it's outrageous!]

We can always look on it as, oh well, at least someone who does want it will get it!

scep

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:52 pm

thexman said:

hehe how you know she was 17.?

A guess: screen name, what she's buying and selling etc etc. Or course it could be a sister selling it for her brother etc, but a boy is much more likely to appreciate the fact that he has one of the first Raspberry Pis   (I'd point out that I've no inside knowledge of what has gone on here at all... )

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Is it really such a bad thing if some Pi's end up on ebay? it means those who want to develop something round the Pi and didn't get in early can get one now rather than having to wait for farnell/rs to ramp up production.

Heck I might consider buying one on ebay myself if the price is right (that price ISN'T right though, I might pay 1.5 times official price to get it quicker but not much more than that)

waveform

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:24 pm

If that A4Tech numpadless wireless keyboard is anything like mine, then its going to barely even work from 1 metre away, especially if there's a bit of wood between the computer and the keyboard.

Absolutely awful transmiter/receiver in the keyboard, the mouse I got with it will work from outside the house though!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: one for sale on Ebay this is wrong as the foundation is

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:09 am

thexman said:

yup makes sense the seller is located in ponitfract thats near leeds.

so her kid came home and she thought [scep: edit for language] that ill sell it..

that isnt what it was given for and some one should point that out theres loads of kids and adults who would have given there grannies to get one early and would never had sold it on Ebay

yeah it really is a crudy thing to do.

as an aside i wonder if Liz or Eben happened to pick up a couple of pounds of pontifract cakes while they were in the area that they have no use for as i could use them

godslust

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:56 am

It's a pity, but seriously it was going to happen at some point, but atleast whoever buys it will want it & give it the love it requires!

I don't agree with it or the suggestions re setting up ebay accounts to bid, I will just be patient and wait in the line for my email from RS (How very British of me!).

Tass

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:17 am

Damn you and your British sensibility, making me see reason!

Phil Spiegel

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:23 am

And now there is another one - but the bidding is a lot lower (so far) ... supply and demand?  the first bid was <3GBP 8-)   However the picture is not of a 'production' version.

(neither are mine, I hasten to add... I'm still in the great 'unknown' time...and it won't be appearing on EBay when it does come)  ... but I suppose its all 'turnover' which keeps the production costs down to benefit schools the more.

wolfje

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:54 am

I'm not sure but looking at the limited details in the Bidding history of both accounts, it looks like there where 2 people fighting about the first one, and the second seem to have again just a couple of people bidding on it.

JohnW

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:57 am

bluescrn said:

It's simple supply+demand. Wasn't it inevitable that some of the first batch would end up on eBay?

Intelligent kid, IMHO. He might not go into computing, but he could do well in business...

If we was a little more intelligent though, he would have said 'selling this one now, so I can buy a new one and a nice monitor for it in a couple of months'...

Not sure it requires much intelligence. The kid was given something for nothing and thought "great, I will make a few quid", although greed does seem to be the most valued quality amongst the business community.

Without knowing all the facts it is difficult to be too harsh. We don't know whether the pupil was randomly selected, or did they go out of their way to get one, equally we have no idea what their financial situation is. It is easy to say that if they are not interested it shoudl have been donated to a school, but for some people that money could make a big difference.

Although it is a shame, particularly as the foundation was picking up the bill, but it is more annoying to think that people went out of their way to order one on 29th February, just in order to make a few quid.

Based on previous experience with open source spoftware, even when there is a ready supply of Pi, you will still see them being flogged on ebay with a big mark-up - probably branded as a media server or an internet PC rather than as a Pi.

In the past I have seen people who download free software, burn it to CD and sell it on ebay as if it were a professional product.

Simon H

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:58 am

Second one must be from rs or farnell, one that is in the post so he is using a beta board picture.

Montala

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:08 am

Simon H said:

Second one must be from rs or farnell one that is in the post so he using a beta board picture.

I have in fact already asked him about this, and also why he has not included a photo of the actual item he is selling!

If is NOT a production model, then this fact should be clearly stated.

Reply awaited!

Simon H

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:18 am

Probaably doesnt know the difference and too thick to use it. just making a quick buck.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:22 am

We handed them out as gifts - it's a bit disappointing (we'd hoped this wouldn't happen but had a sneaking feeling it might), but we're not angry. Once we'd given them to the kids they were theirs to do what they wanted with. You don't give someone a gift and attach obligations on the way you want it used.

You all know that Eben and I are all over the entrepreneurship for children thing. We've decided to see this auction as an example of that!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Simon H

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:30 am

It was a great thing for the foundation to do, it is the what you were setup to do after all and as someone said at least it will be going to someone who really wants it.
Were the accessories from you too?

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:43 am

As entrepreneurship it is great. Even if they had paid £30 for it, they stand to make £150. That's a lot of money for a kid. It would be nice if £15 of the profit was donated to the foundation, but this is a teenager, they don't do tact and diplomacy.

poing

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:47 am

Someone called "b***0" is the top bidder on both auctions. Seems to need one very badly; maybe a case-designer that needs to see if his case will fit? That would mean a business interest and could explain the high bid.

Anyway, once the production boards start pouring out of the factory and are in full supply I doubt there will be many on ebay for such a high price.

BTW, at some point I'd love to hear how many RPis were ordered/sold in total if that information is not interfering with interests of RPF/Farnell/RS. Just curious.

Raspberry wino

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:39 pm

liz said:

We handed them out as gifts – it"s a bit disappointing (we"d hoped this wouldn"t happen but had a sneaking feeling it might), but we"re not angry. Once we"d given them to the kids they were theirs to do what they wanted with. You don"t give someone a gift and attach obligations on the way you want it used.

You all know that Eben and I are all over the entrepreneurship for children thing. We"ve decided to see this auction as an example of that!

Gifts can have conditions attached – though I"m sure you did the right thing as it would seem rather petty for small items like an RPi.

But think how people whine when foreign aid doesn"t have enough controls to prevent  misuse or selling stuff off.

I see this as a little disappointing but this relies on a temporary shortfall in supply for an item in demand so it doesn"it matter much. It"s a bit like people crowding round a tennis star for an autograph – some will treasure it but  many will convert it into something they value more – hard cash.

godslust

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:25 pm

The first Pi seems to have been removed from sale -

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

andri

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Tass said:

Tempted just to create a fake ebay account just to push the big up ridiculously & reneg.  Even if they REALLY aren't into it, they should take it down to their local school and donate it.

Someone called "b***0" is the top bidder on both auctions. Seems to need one very badly; maybe a case-designer that needs to see if his case will fit? That would mean a business interest and could explain the high bid.

Aha…..

svrsig

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Someone called "b***0" is the top bidder on both auctions.

How do you see who is top bidder?

Kernel

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:09 pm

liz said:

We handed them out as gifts - it's a bit disappointing (we'd hoped this wouldn't happen but had a sneaking feeling it might), but we're not angry. Once we'd given them to the kids they were theirs to do what they wanted with. You don't give someone a gift and attach obligations on the way you want it used.

You all know that Eben and I are all over the entrepreneurship for children thing. We've decided to see this auction as an example of that!

I can understand your point - but if someone really didn't want it someone else could have had it and enjoyed it.

As for people selling them I guess they really don't understand the significance of owning one of the earliest produced models.

poing

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:44 pm

svrsig said:

Someone called "b***0" is the top bidder on both auctions.

How do you see who is top bidder?

Next to the 'current bid' is a link (at this moment '27 bids') to the list of bidders. Right now it's x***a (another case designer )

grumpyoldgit

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Of course, neither of them have photos of the actual Pi so one can't even be sure they have something to sell! I'm a bit of a doubting Thomas so am still waiting fro that elusive unboxing video on Youtube.

Return to “General discussion”