Tass

Re: My Pi Has Shipped!

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:38 pm

Hmmmm.  My order was at 06:58.  I received a generic email saying I would receive my Pi in the next few days, etc.  When I log onto the Farnell site my order still has a status of Back Order without a tracking number.

EDIT: Ignore that I've found a confirmation email, despite the online order status. Nothing yet in my UPS status yet though.

Montala

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:40 pm

Tass said:

Hmmmm.  My order was at 06:58.  I received a generic email saying I would receive my Pi in the next few days, etc.  When I log onto the Farnell site my order still has a status of Back Order without a tracking number.

Are you in the UK, can I ask, as my status is still stuck at 'Received'!

Tass

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Montala said:

Tass said:

Yes, I'm in the UK.

screenshot didn't work in edit, so here's my current status:

jamieoliver22

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Mine was like that, but updated itself after a few hours - I wouldn't worry.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:51 pm

waveform said:

Maybe these "exceptions" are pretty common place and do not automatically mean there is an issue with the payment / destination.
I suspect what most likely happened is that farnell chose the wrong service when preparing the shipment and have now fixed their error. I would also suspect that such screwups are not all that uncommon.

Montala

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Tass said:

Montala said:

Tass said:

Yes, I'm in the UK.

screenshot didn't work in edit, so here's my current status:

Thanks for the confirmation.

I am obviously a bit further back in the queue, as I haven't received the latest email yet... but I still reckon my status should have advanced further than it has.

Will have to contact them on Monday, I think.

Tass

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:56 pm

BTW - my take on the Farnell orders from after 7AM & after 8AM getting through is that the Farnell site completely tanked for the first hour on the morning of the 29th.  My guess is they couldn't handle the load that RS could, so took orders as a slower pace

waveform

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:59 pm

I just noticed that the package weighs 2.6KG.

The equivalent of 2 and a half bags of sugar seems a bit heavy for a raspberry Pi that only ways 45 grams on its own!

Robert_M

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:01 am

Congrats to all you early recipients!

Who sez that Friday the 13th is an unlucky day?  :-D
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

R4V3N0U5

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:00 am

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that either very few or none of us from the US will even get to receive one from the first batch, and I can't say I'm surprised.

It seems like this whole launched has been biased to be favorable to those in the UK from the start. Not only were the chosen distributors based in the UK, the links given at the moment of launch were for those in the UK, and it wasn't until several days later that it was explained how others could order without going through the UK site.

Then again I can't say I wouldn't be surprised.

Jessie

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:10 am

Patrick Beckett said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that either very few or none of us from the US will even get to receive one from the first batch, and I can't say I'm surprised.

It seems like this whole launched has been biased to be favorable to those in the UK from the start. Not only were the chosen distributors based in the UK, the links given at the moment of launch were for those in the UK, and it wasn't until several days later that it was explained how others could order without going through the UK site.

Given the fact that the first batch are leaving from the UK we won't see them untill they hit the states and therefore the delay.

Lob0426

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:39 am

Patrick Beckett said:

Most of us in the USA were knocked out of the sellers systems very quickly after the start. So very few (if any) US customers were able to get into the line for the first batch. Most of the other countries got the same treatment. It is pretty safe to say that we will fall relatively far back in line. It took me about 6 hours after the start to get onto Farnell. I actually was registering with RS (about 2 minutes after the start) when I could no longer get a response from them, I did get registered but was not able to order. I did get an order in on the 29th.

I still have the August 16th date showing for my ship date. One of the companies is showing a lead date like 135 days.

I was able to order the same day by looking carefully at the posts in the forum to get the right link.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Andre_P

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:11 am

Patrick Beckett said:

I am not a Foundation member so I these are my points of view.

I seem to remember writing a post quoting the possible whinges that people will come up with and I think this is one of them. I did use the term 'my country' to cover all potential international whingers (from my observation whinging is an equal opportunities employer).

RS and Farnell are both international players, they obviously had issues with getting their systems set up so go and complain and whinge at them, may I ask which part of the planet you would have liked to do the launch from that would in your opinion reflect no bias. Maybe some Mongolian Dwelling that received the orders by IPoAC ?

While the entire team have had to show the courage of Boadicea, the fortitude of Elizabeth I and the steelyness of Margaret Thatcher they have yet to reach deity status and deliver unto the world instantly a RPi to every upraised hand. They have to go through channels, RS and Farnell have a presence in Britain and the world.

If I haven't made my opinion abundantly clear, may I use an Americanism that has sadly travelled through the youth of the world

"Whatever!"

bbramble

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:01 am

Patrick Beckett said:

It seems like this whole launched has been biased to be favorable to those in the UK from the start.

If this was being organised by a small US charity for the ultimate benefit of US schools would they even be offered to the rest of the world at this stage? Of course it is favourable to the UK (in its focus), it is aimed at the UK.

Karmeck

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:03 am

I had my pi shipped (RS) and im from Sweden, also, there is a post here somewhere there [email protected] tells us that they sent out 700 pi´s to 30 different  countries . So it is not UK only.

here it is:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/arc.....ment-19679

exartemarte

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:29 am

Andre_P said:

While the entire team have had to show the courage of Boadicea, the fortitude of Elizabeth I and the steelyness of Margaret Thatcher they have yet to reach deity status ...

Any indication as to when this might happen? We should be kept informed ...

rmwebs

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:36 am

bbramble said:

Patrick Beckett said:

It seems like this whole launched has been biased to be favorable to those in the UK from the start.

If this was being organised by a small US charity for the ultimate benefit of US schools would they even be offered to the rest of the world at this stage? Of course it is favourable to the UK (in its focus), it is aimed at the UK.

My thoughts exactly! If us Brits moaned every time the US got something released before us we'd have caused a riot by now.

This IS a British project, and it's goal is to get proper computer education back into UK schools, and to (hopefully) help reboot the UK computer industry. Why the heck should the foundation worry about getting this released outside the UK with the first 10,000 units.

In any case, E14 and RSI are now in production mode now so if your country doesn't have Pi's you need to pester your local E14 or RSI distributor to get some. Even with that you've still got a good month or so wait at the bare minimum. Sucks when another country gets the monopoly doesn't it!

Eros

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Well as a Brit who is currently residing in Canada...where is mine! Haha! With all seriousness the next few weeks are going to be awesome. I got my order in fairly early but have no news of shipping, but that is fine because im not completely un-knowledgable of shipping and know moving anything from the UK to the US takes about a week at the longest. I know that from this point RS and Farnell will be doing their upmost to clear all the orders they have. as it was said before "Im pretty sure they want your money"

I have to agree though maybe not quite as bluntly as it was put above. If there is a bias for the UK, then so what? RS and Farnell are international, claiming the foundation selected distributers that dont have an international presence is quite frankly wrong. There will be a lag time for shipping elsewhere. It would be exactly the same in the US (just as an example) with an exception that it would be "Proundly made in the USA" and thus be about 2 or 3 times more expensive and take 4 or 5 times longer to produce (and i do have experience of this getting circuit boards made)

So I think we should all remember how life was back when we were kids and remember that, you had to wait for christmas, and no amount of crying or feet stamping would get your gifts given sooner :p

Thanks to the foundation and let the fun begin.

svrsig

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:38 pm

Got my email! Ordered 8:02 am on the 29th so I count myself as very fortunate – and very privileged – to have got one of the first ones.

My order is 08:19 on 29th but no e-mail yet - can 17 minutes mean 1000's of orders? Mine still says 135 days' lead time.

Tass

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:06 pm

BTW, my UPS status updated to the glorious green, and my Farnell order status is now showing as Complete.

BUT...

Despite having called Farnell WEEKS ago to update my delivery address due to my company office move, they've still got the old delivery address, which is now an empty, closed office!!!  And due to scheduled meetings I can't even camp out the old office all Monday!!

Sir_LANs-a-lot

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:11 pm

Great news to see they're finally shipping even after the slightly bumpy start!

Well done RasPi Foundation!, can't wait to see what people can do with these.

*Wonders if anyone's porting DOSBOX...*

Andre_P

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:19 am

From exartemarte mail, sorry iPhone and hang over causing issues

Andre_P said:

While the entire team have had to show the courage of Boadicea, the fortitude of Elizabeth I and the steelyness of Margaret Thatcher they have yet to reach deity status …

Any indication as to when this might happen? We should be kept informed …

Contact Liz for details with respect to Deification , she has already been a Saint putting up with people whinging left right and centre.

Retroman

Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:08 pm

My Pi is on it's way from the UK to Ireland but for some reason yesterday it was updated as having arrived in Koeln, German???

Anyone have the same update on the UPS tracking site?

Montala

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:15 pm

Oh dear... It sounds as if they are taking it on a European sightseeing trip first.. I am sure that UPS will sort it out though... let's hope so anyway!

R4V3N0U5

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Lob0426 said:

Most of us in the USA were knocked out of the sellers systems very quickly after the start. So very few (if any) US customers were able to get into the line for the first batch. Most of the other countries got the same treatment. It is pretty safe to say that we will fall relatively far back in line. It took me about 6 hours after the start to get onto Farnell. I actually was registering with RS (about 2 minutes after the start) when I could no longer get a response from them, I did get registered but was not able to order. I did get an order in on the 29th.

I still have the August 16th date showing for my ship date. One of the companies is showing a lead date like 135 days.

I was able to order the same day by looking carefully at the posts in the forum to get the right link.

My experience was similar. I was awake at 1:00 A.M. Eastern Time, and I tried for about 5 hours to get an order to go through, but couldn't even go further than loading a single page before I timed out (and it was like this pretty much all day that day.)

And as such, I wasn't able to actually place my order until the 1st of March.

Andre_P said:

RS and Farnell are both international players, they obviously had issues with getting their systems set up so go and complain and whinge at them, may I ask which part of the planet you would have liked to do the launch from that would in your opinion reflect no bias. Maybe some Mongolian Dwelling that received the orders by IPoAC ?

Simply put, what they should have done, is launched with the product already set up on their multiple regional sites, and the link given was one that would point you to your closest site (UK for UK, US for US, etc.) It wasn't even until several days that they actually had the product on their other distributions sites for preorder, and given the demand for the product, this meant that anyone outside of the UK that wanted one had to figure out how to order it from the UK site, or they had little to no chance of receiving one. I mean, after all, I'm sure they had some sorts of heads up before the launch so I don't see why it could be too much to ask.

bbramble said:.

I understand this but in the coming months before the launch, many people asked about how being outside the UK would effect the product's availability come launch time... and if i'm not mistaken it was stated that it would be available on a first come first serve basis and internationally. Now if you take into account the products demand at launch and the lack of proper preparation, it became next to impossible for someone outside of the UK to snag one at launch day. I just feel that there should have been a mention of this as I'm sure I'm not the only one who wasted their time and came out with disappointment. And as for the 'UK charity for UK schools part, from the looks of this you are wrong:

We want to see cheap, accessible, programmable computers everywhere; we actively encourage other companies to clone what we’re doing. We want to break the paradigm where without spending hundreds of pounds on a PC, families can’t use the internet. We want owning a truly personal computer to be normal for children. We think that 2012 is going to be a very exciting year. (Source: About us http://www.raspberrypi.org/about)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that it does not say anywhere that this is a UK only charity, only that it is a charity based in the UK.

rmwebs said:

My thoughts exactly! If us Brits moaned every time the US got something released before us we'd have caused a riot by now.

This IS a British project, and it's goal is to get proper computer education back into UK schools, and to (hopefully) help reboot the UK computer industry. Why the heck should the foundation worry about getting this released outside the UK with the first 10,000 units.

In any case, E14 and RSI are now in production mode now so if your country doesn't have Pi's you need to pester your local E14 or RSI distributor to get some. Even with that you've still got a good month or so wait at the bare minimum. Sucks when another country gets the monopoly doesn't it!

I don't see why people keep bringing up the argument 'If the US released something' when every single example they use is a retail product and nothing comparable to the Pi (and quite frankly there isn't really anything.) And as for 'Why the heck should the foundation worry about getting this released outside the UK with the first 10,000 units,' I can ask you this question, For what specific reason should they not? Is there some unseen reason that makes you more qualified to receive a Pi if you live in the UK?

I guess to sum it up, I can't say I'm not disappointed. I have been following this project since August of last year, and I've decided to wait a week or two to see if I get one from the first batch, and if not I will be canceling my order. This whole fiasco has been very stressful considering my original expected delivery date was April second, and now it may not even be for a couple more months. Perhaps some day I may give it another shot but I'm starting to feel that it's not really worth all this effort and I would be better off just giving up on it rather than to get more disappointment.

Return to “General discussion”