jamieoliver22

Re: Raspberry Pi at Gadget Show Live

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:27 pm

It appears that the Raspberry Pi is being demoed at this years Gadget Show Live at the NEC Birmingham.

The latest tweet from Raspberry_Pi / Grant Gibson shows the Raspi being used to play Manic Miner, but if you look closely at the photo, you can see the Gadget Show logo in his back pocket. The room also resembles the typical layout of the NEC.

https://twitter.com/#!/grant_gibson/sta ... 07/photo/1

Lets hope I am right, as I am going on Sunday!

EDIT: Yes, it does appear to be shown at GSL as part of ARM's History of Electronics stand.

https://twitter.com/#!/grant_gibson/sta ... 1676132352

https://twitter.com/#!/grant_gibson/sta ... 0199290880

kghunt

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:07 pm

Whoop whoop. I just came to the same conclusion I"m there Thursday!!

Can"t wait..

SeanD

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:13 pm

I assume they have it well nailed down.

Montala

Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:20 pm

I was there today (Tuesday = Trade Day!) and can vouch that it is definitely 'on show'! It looks like a 'production' model too, with the yellow video output socket.

The actual board itself is 'protected' inside a clear perspex 'box' but the keyboard and screen are accessible.

As mentioned though, it was stuck at the 'login' prompt and there was no one around at the time to assist... and I had forgotten the default user name and password.

Mind you, even if I had remembered them, I couldn't have got much further anyway.

SN

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:01 pm

You could have type the hellow world program in in python. . . Even a School Kid could do that q
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Montala

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:37 pm

It's a long time since I was at school!

Gert van Loo

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:59 pm

and I had forgotten the default user name and password.

How in heavens name can you forgot user name 'pi' password 'raspberry' ????

Montala

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:30 pm

Very easily... especially if you put them in the other way round!

SN

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Can"t believe anyone would put user "ip" password "yrrebpsar" can you?
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Montala

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Not really... it's most unlikely, I would have thought!

Although the slightly more logical alternative of the user name 'raspberry' and password 'pi' had already been tried (and failed) as I recall.

Let's hope that they have someone around to show off it's capabilities a bit more in the forthcoming few days when the show is open to all.

Gert van Loo

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:43 pm

I have to be honest: there are also builds out there with a different name and password. One was 'pi' and 'suse'. The first Linux Pi builds had a standard set of users which where all Broadcom SW developers with their own passwords.

chanmaster

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:42 am

hello

i randomly went to the show yesterday and didn't know they had this on show.

personally i found it amazing to see the real thing instead of just talking about it or looking at photos.

the stand was part of "The History of Computing" and included some old computers like a Commodore 64 and the original Apple Mac complete with old keyboard and box mouse.

When i was at the stand yesterday afternoon they had Quake 3 running on it.

i was told by the guy looking after the stand the Raspberry Pi on display was a donation and was Number 7 of the original ones that were auctioned off.

Montala

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:59 am

What I was told was that although the Number 7 'beta board' had been 'donated' to them, the one at the show was actually a later 'production' model (it had the yellow socket) which either the Foundation, or one of the distributors had given them.

It was just a shame I was not able to see it 'doing' a bit more, but it was good to actually see one 'in the flesh', as it were.

ComputerMuseum

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 am

Hi all, it was on our stand : The Centre for Computing History. We put on the Gadget Hall of Fame display and had a range of retro tech from the 60's through to the 90's and finishing up with the futre : Raspberry Pi !! - Sorry we weren't there to talk you through it Montala, we must have spoken to a 1000 people about it I'd probably nipped to the loo!

The one on display was from the first production batch of 2000 and we do indeed have serial #7 which was donated to us by an anonymous donor.

See : http://www.computinghistory.or.....-to-Museum

Thanks to Red Gate Software, ARM and Microsoft Research we are opening the museum in Cambridge very soon ...

cccsssddd

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Amazed to see it slung over the corner of the monitor held only in place by its web of wiring. Actually managed to get hands on as it had frozen on a quake loading screen and the guy said i could power cycle it. As one of the original ebay sales kind of expected it to be chained to a static-free rotweiler and wouldnt be surprised if it went walkies like that!

cccsssddd

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:09 pm

P.s. amazed in a good way - been following the project for months and been dying to see one in the flesh so to see it there was brilliant and even though it was a relatively important model it was good to be able to reach out and touch it. still wouldnt quite believe it if i'd seen it in a perspex box

Grandad

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:02 am

The Pi got a mention and some praise on The Gadgetshow as a christmas-stocking-filler last night.

Return to “General discussion”