pixelblip

Re: Which Apps on Arm

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi there.

I wanted to run a program called fluidsynth on my future Raspberry Pi. It runs on Ubuntu and uses ALSA sound. It plays soundfonts over midi.

I am trying to find out if this program will work on Arm Ubuntu......can anyone point me in the right direction please? I can't seem to find a list of programs that are running in Arm Ubuntu.

Thankin you

Emanuele

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:00 pm

What I would do is to check here:

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

and see if the package is supported in different architectures (I would guess that armel is the relevant one). fluidsynth looks like it is.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:30 pm

As far as I have been told, Debian has support for all their repository compiled as Arm. So that should mean anything you have on x86 you can have on Arm. Or so I have been told....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Emanuele

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:50 pm

Good to know jamesh. I've never used debian on an ARM, and I didn't know. EDIT: Actually, I now remember someone on slashdot a while ago. He was annoyed that problems with some packages on a weird architecture were holding off a major release on x86 too. So, yes, another confirmation that everything in debian should work.

By the way, pixelblip, I don't know about Ubuntu, but if it's in Ubuntu x86 and it's also in debian, I would be very surprised if it's not also in Ubuntu ARM. To be 100% sure, you should double check the Ubuntu ARM repository. But if I were you, I would be optimistic. Even if it's not supported officially, it should be trivial to port.

pixelblip

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:50 pm

Wow that's great news. How exciting. Thanks. I can't wait now.

Makes me wonder how fast things run on a Raspberry Pi computer....can it be compared to an Intel Atom or a Cortex A8 chip? Sorry to ask what is probably an annoying question :)

Emanuele

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:24 pm

Lots of people are wondering about performance. The CPU is slower than both. On the other hand, 3D and multimedia performance is expected to be quite good. See jamesh's post here for more details: http://www.raspberrypi.org/?pa.....38;t=101.2.

Svartalf

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Quote from jamesh on August 22, 2011, 20:30
As far as I have been told, Debian has support for all their repository compiled as Arm. So that should mean anything you have on x86 you can have on Arm. Or so I have been told....

In the large, that will be the case- mainly dodgy coding practices or lacking the CPU muscle (Either in performance or something like 64-bitness...) for something would be the things keeping something from being able to be built for ARM from the X86 world.

Return to “General discussion”