magnitux

Re: raspberry pi os

Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:35 pm

Do you wont a official raspberry pi os adapted on education world and children use. :D
What is your idea for raspi os ? :the name, the special orientation(education, programmation média, internet service) the applications the documentation the windows manadger the desktop manadger the configuration....
You can talk about in this topic. 8-)

sightlight

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:23 pm

less than 100mb in size :)

vorrias

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:55 pm

If this OS is going to be RTOS (Real Time OS) that will be grate for real time jobs like teaching students in real time automation projects.
I just contact with QNX, one of the best RTOS around and they they told me they do not support ARM11. They refocus to the Cortex family. Pity, but we know nothing comes easy. With a little hard work we will find a solution and within the spirit of Raspberry PI.

Warringer

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm pretty sure that the R-Pi could do multiboot. Or something as simple as switching the SD-Card for running RTOS for Real time stuff, or Ubuntu/Debian for a desktop use.

I for one plan to close any SD-Card I make for the R-Pi. :p

vorrias

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Yes this idea of changing SD and booting on whatever OS your project demands (Education, RTOS, Controller) grate functionality for hobbyists, school, professionals.). I can not see any obstacle on that. It will succeed if many embrace the R-Pi project winch I hope.

Lerc

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:54 am

Quote from sightlight on August 22, 2011, 18:23
less than 100mb in size :)

There's an important point that can easily be confused. RAM is restricted but offline storage is relatively plentiful. A lot of small Linux distributions weigh themselves in disk-space. RAM usage is far more important.

In SD card form you can get Gigabytes remarkably cheaply. There isn't as much need to squeeze the on-disk data as the in RAM.

crshbndct

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:51 am

i am sure that a very light version of linux, with only the drivers needed to run the r-pi, external storage media, a web browser such as opera (which then includes web, irc, chat, email, ftp, torrent, etc all in one) lxde, and maybe some drivers for things like wifi dongles, bluetooth dongles etc would come in at under 100mb ram use. the actual os itself should be able to fit on 1gb or less. the goal would have to be an os with a ui which can run in under 128mb ram, to leave space for other apps to run. i dont think it really matters how big the os is, as ram use is far more important.

something built from slackware or arch linux would probably be best.

Return to “General discussion”