Jeffreytooker

Re: SD/USB Lost Storage Space

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:22 pm

I downloaded Debian6-17-02-2012.zip.  Unzipped, and used Win32diskimager to burn to a 4G USB stick and after that to an 8G SD.  Neither would boot from BIOS.  Looked at properties on both.  Usable total memory of both devices was down to 74G. This included the Debian files. The Debian zip original was about 800G and the unzipped file was about 1.6G.  I tried Ubuntu to re format USB.  It said device was busy and could not re format.  I would like to know how to wipe the USB and FAT32 re format it back to 4G.  If that works then I will try to re format the SD.  I am not very tech savvy, so simpler is better.

When this is fixed I will probably go to Ubuntu and try again.

Thx.

Jeffrey

Beanz

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm new to all this too but one option may be to watch the youtube vid below showing how to set up your SD with a program called dd.exe and at about 10mins in it shows how to properly wipe the SD ready for a new os if needed. HTH.

Also the same guy has a video showing how after adding your files to free up the full space on your SD card

Montala

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:55 pm

This was also covered by Eben in his 'webinar' yesterday, when he described the process involved, and also spoke about the required config.txt file.

(For those who missed it  a 'hacked' version of the slides can be downloaded from http://stevenicklin.com/images/webex.zip - thanks to SN.)

Jeffreytooker

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks to both.  Working my way through.

Jeffrey

john_wage

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Uhm.. I think the most common issue with "lost" storage after using those kind of flash burners is that it makes the main partition of the memory the exact size needed for the OS install and the rest is unallocated.

If you use Windows you should use "diskpart" from command line to delete the partition and make a new one with max size.

Or press "windows button" + R then type in "compmgmt.msc" and go to Storage->Disk Management and do it manually.

Jeffreytooker

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:57 pm

I went to Ubuntu Gparted, removed partitions and reformatted.  Windows required new formatting to use devices in Win.  All good.  Cudos to Liam.  Thanks to both of you.  Now to make SD for boot.

Jeffrey

Jeffreytooker

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:16 am

New problem.  Changing subject line to:  "Creating R pi Start Up Disk in Ubuntu".

Jeffrey

bredman

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:07 pm

Jeffrey,

You may have misunderstood the reason for burning an image to an SD card. The ONLY purpose of an SD card containing RPi software is to plug it into RPi hardware. You should not attempt to boot a PC from this SD card. From your mention in the first post "Neither would boot from BIOS", it looks like you are trying to boot a PC from the SD card.

After burning the image to the SD card, there is nothing more that you can do with it, you MUST wait for RPi hardware to plug it into.

You can of course inspect your SD card to check if it has been created properly, but...

If you try to inspect the SD card from Windows Explorer, you will only see the small FAT partition which contains the bootloader for the RPi. Windows Explorer does not understand the Linux EXT format which is used for the main part of the SD card. You need to use special software on Windows or use Linux to see all of the contents.

Kernel

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:18 pm

As people have already mentioned you can only boot the pi with it and I'm not sure if it works on usb sticks (the pi can't directly boot from usb anyway – you have to boot from sd and then chain it to usb in theory).

I used EASEUS on windows to change partitions back to normal for formatting. It is also recommended to use SDFormatter to format the card.

See my topic at http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....38;ret=all for more info

btw do you need Debian specifically for something? if not then you can try fedora too: https://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index. ... stallation

Jeffreytooker

Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:06 am

I have found out the hard way (wiped stick and had to re burn) because of Windows.  That is why I am staying in Linux for the rest of this.  I was only using Debian because it was recommended for newbies.

I would like to know why the R pi SD read through a USB card reader will not boot a non R pi system.  Why is an SD read through a USB card reader not then a USB?   I suppose the questions are academic.

Will the Fedora download and burn through some GUI USB/SD burner or does the Fedora also only work with R pi and command line?  As far as I know other Linux (Ubuntu, Puppy) distros run off of System ram and boot device, unless it is installed in the system.  Is R pi different?  I have more questions, but will wait for these answers first.

I have been running around in Liam's Debian in Virtual box.  It seems sufficient for general online and email.

Jeffrey

Nr90

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:32 am

Not an expert by any means but I believe the GPU initializes the boot off of the the SD. I can only guess that this stems from the chips history as a phone chip.

I believe the RP remix of fedora comes with the LXDE desktop. If not it is not hard to add one. Liam explains how to do this in one of his first tutorial vids mentioned here.

nick.mccloud

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:31 am

Jeffreytooker said:

I would like to know why the R pi SD read through a USB card reader will not boot a non R pi system.  Why is an SD read through a USB card reader not then a USB?   I suppose the questions are academic.

You may be able to see what's on the first partition but that doesn't mean what's on there makes any sense to your PC. The RPi has an ARM CPU and your PC has an Intel x86 CPU - they speak very different languages so when you try to boot your PC with the card, your PC doesn't understand what the card says.

Will the Fedora download and burn through some GUI USB/SD burner or does the Fedora also only work with R pi and command line?

Same situation - the card has ARM code on it, not x86.

nick.mccloud

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:33 am

Nr90 said:

Not an expert by any means but I believe the GPU initializes the boot off of the the SD.

You are correct and that's another part of the challenge a PC faces trying to figure out what to do with the SD card.

I can only guess that this stems from the chips history as a phone chip.

Sort of, it's more just the way that RPi works for convenience, AFAIK.

Kernel

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Jeffreytooker said:

I have found out the hard way (wiped stick and had to re burn) because of Windows.  That is why I am staying in Linux for the rest of this.  I was only using Debian because it was recommended for newbies.

Well actually I think the Fedora Remix is recommended for newbies - however it isn't totally stable at this stage - debian seems better, there hasn't been much feedback on archlinux

Joe Schmoe

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:15 pm

It is a funny world in which one can say that something that is unstable, bleeding edge, and (at this point in time) pretty much doesn't work, is "recommended for newbies".

I say, go with the Debian image.

Note, BTW, that RS and/or Farnell (I can't remember which exactly) have disavowed the "Fedora remix" unless/until the bugs get worked out of it.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

lew44

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:02 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

It is a funny world in which one can say that something that is unstable, bleeding edge, and (at this point in time) pretty much doesn't work, is "recommended for newbies".

I say, go with the Debian image.

Note, BTW, that RS and/or Farnell (I can't remember which exactly) have disavowed the "Fedora remix" unless/until the bugs get worked out of it.

Just my take on things but I think the Foundation has stated over and over again that this is a "developer's release".  At this point in time NOTHING should be "recommended for newbies".

My first option would be Debian 'cause that's been the "branch" of Linux that I've used the most.  I've tried several flavours of Red Hat over the years but still prefer Debian.  But I plan on having several SD cards, each with it own distro and I think that in the next few weeks, when thousands of people finally get their hands on the actual hardware, the "bugs" will disappear quickly.

jojopi

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

As has the foundation.  The downloads page has quietly changed from recommending the seneca fedoremix to calling it "a little buggy".

At this stage I am beginning to wonder if even experienced fedora fans like me will be better off running debian on Pi.  Once it becomes the standard amongst early adopters there will never be a compelling reason for the community to switch.

SN

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:33 pm

I"ve run the fedora remix and debian under qemu and I have to say debian seems to run better. Bit of a shame as I built my laptop as Fedora to get a (near) identical setup on it as the raspi. . .
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Jeffreytooker

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:23 pm

It seems we have gone off topic.  Changing topic to "Linux Distros ARM".

Jeffrey

rmm200

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:48 pm

I can't see any reason to have your host machine match the Pi.

I run Ubuntu as my host machine, because I have no reason to change,

and qemu works great for arm support.

I am using Debian under qemu as my Pi distro - just because it works so well.

SN

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:11 pm

They"re the same becuase I had the option. And I did this Only because I thought I could pilot stuff on the laptop. I"m going to sit tight now until the community makes a choice and jump that way
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Kernel

Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:42 pm

rmm200 said:

I can't see any reason to have your host machine match the Pi.

There are lots of reasons especially if you have never used linux before - even just being able to learn command line commands like cat, grep, how to use nano etc. could be of great benefit when you finally get your raspi

liamfraser280

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:53 am

It's reccomended on the donloads page that the beginners use the Debian image. Makes sense really as the kernel developers maintain the Debian image, so they know the Pi inside out.

Pepedog, who makes the Arch Linux image is also doing a fantastic job and is always adding new things after something has changed in the kernel source - that's what I'll be using for personal use of the Pi. Tutorial teaching will be done on Debian

jojopi

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:46 am

Liam Fraser said:

Makes sense really as the kernel developers maintain the Debian image, so they know the Pi inside out.

Unprivileged userspace does not access hardware except through the kernel.  There should be no reason to suppose that groups outside Broadcom cannot maintain a fully working distribution.

rmm200

Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:26 pm

I think it is safe to say most kernel developers have never heard of the Pi - yet. They barely acknowledge the existence of Arm processors. The kernel is pretty much hardware independent.

Device specifics come in through device drivers, which is where knowledge of Pi architecture would lay.

Return to “General discussion”