anniecrossie

Raspberry Pi French Version

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi, can anyone help me please. I bought a Raspberry Pi from Maplins for my grandaughter, it is brilliant. I now want to buy the same for my French Grandaughter who lives in Switzerland. I am not having any luck tracking one down, I have contacted both the official manufacturers who couldn't help me. I know they can be bought from Switzerland but don't have enough technical knowledge to know which parts I need, basically I want what was in the Maplin kit but with french plugs and instructions.
Thanks in advance.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi French Version

Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:14 pm

USB and HDMI plugs and sockets and SD cards are the same the world over so there shouldn't be any problems there.

When it comes to the power supply for the Pi and the powered hub you are looking for power supplies with "europlugs" (sometimes the word euro will be written seperately from the word plug), these are comptible with the vast majority of european socket types (british sockets being an exception).

I don't know if any instructions are available in french. Might be worth asking in the french forum here.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:14 am

You could probably get away with buying another maplin kit but with additional French USB power adapters. These would do it I think.

Trav

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Note that the Swiss sockets are *not* compatible with the "Standard" Euro plug. The small two-pin French 5 Amp plugs fit Swiss sockets (and Euro sockets) but not vice-versa (Swiss plugs have a third pin - Earth) and the larger 15 Amp Euro plugs certainly do not fit Swiss sockets at all.
The good news is that "Wall-wart" type power supplies usually use the small French type plug so will work in France and Switzerland.
I lived in French-speaking Switzerland (Lausanne) for a time and found that electronic equipment was often sourced from France or Germany and could have either the small French or Swiss plug. The USB power supply can be bought from any of the big Swiss electronics shops like Fnac, Interdiscount or Steg.
Note also that French-Swiss keyboards are like a cross between German and French keyboards, (QWERTZ, not AZERTY or QWERTY, but with accents and cedillas) so again should be sourced locally, unless your grand-daughter is used to a French AZERTY keyboard.
1st Batch Model B (256M) running Raspbian, Pibrow case, with RaspiCam.
Model A (256M) running Raspbmc, caseless.

Return to “General discussion”