spurious

Re: Please send some boards to important key developers without CE of FCC

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:07 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

@spurious (#15):

You actually have one - in hand - right?

BTW, just to be clear (assuming you do actually have one in hand), you can hook up an ethernet cable and login to the box, right?

Side comment: That's my definition of a "computer".  If you can log into it (in the traditional way), then it is a computer.  If not, it is an appliance.

Yes I have one "in hand" hooked up.

I have put 2x2TB drives on it RAID 0

running apache, MySQL, PHP
I can ssh to it
You just can't plug a monitor into it.

just reading what I need to do to get gcc and opkg running.

The gotay seems to be the use of BusyBox, so need to replace it's use for things like vi

and anything else that seems limited.

tufty

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:18 pm

spurious said:

The gotay seems to be the use of BusyBox, so need to replace it's use for things like vi

busybox vi <foo.txt>

should do it for you, no?  Or are you finding its implementation too limited?

spurious

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:21 pm

tufty said:

spurious said:

busybox vi <foo.txt>
should do it for you, no?  Or are you finding its implementation too limited?

busybox's implementation of vi is limited.

I want syntax highlight etc. which are done by extending vim, but don't seem to have the ability to do the same with busybox.

Lakes

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:21 pm

I like the idea of renting boards out to devs with a hefty non-return deposit fee as a way of boosting funds for the foundation.

nick.mccloud

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Lakes said:

I like the idea of renting boards out to devs with a hefty non-return deposit fee as a way of boosting funds for the foundation.

I'd be quite happy with this

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:36 pm

Just spoken to Liz. Apparently a bunch of boards were supposed to be sent out to developers this week, but the girl doing it (the new employee) decided to go on holiday. So that will be next week. Sorry!

Also, should be a blog post out soon which will be of interest! Apparently, as well as being interesting, it also has an anecdote, so a double whammy!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

tufty

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:56 pm

JamesH said:

Just spoken to Liz. Apparently a bunch of boards were supposed to be sent out to developers this week, but the girl doing it (the new employee) decided to go on holiday. So that will be next week. Sorry!

Excellent!  Well, not the delay bit, but that's excellent news for the project.

Mind you, referring to the new employee as "the girl" and "the new employee" might be considered mildly rude.  Unless, of course, she doesn't want her name known, or her name is, in actual fact, "The Girl" (in which case, her parents want shooting)…

Also, should be a blog post out soon which will be of interest! Apparently, as well as being interesting, it also has an anecdote, so a double whammy!

Triple points if it also features knee X-rays.

Simon

jamesh

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:02 pm

Let me rephrase.

The recently employed Foundation associate, who is of the feminine gender, went on holiday. Without telling anyone. Which is why the boards are late going out.

I thought 'the girl' was quite polite given the circumstances. It may be she does not indeed want her name known by a bunch of manic geeks who WANT THEIR PI.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

nick.mccloud

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:04 pm

JamesH said:

I thought 'the girl' was quite polite given the circumstances.

Indeed! It's always amusing when new staff set a tone right up front ....

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:05 pm

spurious said:

I just got one of these to start playing on an arm processor in a limited resource environment.

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpe.....ctId=49178

It's basically a headless Linux box with an Arm9.

has Busybox on out of the box, but working on putting some more useful tools like gcc and opkg

Thats a dinky little device!  Rather cheaper than a Sheevaplug and probably capable of similar things....
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

spurious

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Jongoleur said:

Thats a dinky little device!  Rather cheaper than a Sheevaplug and probably capable of similar things....

It's not that small... to take "dinky" as small... it's about the width of a DVD player under the TV. just hope I get some time over the long weekend to have a good play.

Joe Schmoe

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:32 pm

@spurious#28:

Yes, the busybox vi is quite limited (once one has gotten used to vim...).  Of course, the standards folks will tell you that it (the busybox version) is (probably) standards compliant - which shows you how low the standards are.

But anyway, on my other ARM based box around here, about the first thing I did once I got the compiler working was to compile vim.  So, yeah, I've been down that road...

P.S.  Interesting that it is actually considered slower than the Rpi.  I guess I don't understand the ARM numbering system.  I've heard the version of ARM in the Rpi referred to both as "armV6" and "arm11".  I sort of assumed that the box with ARM9 was faster than armV6, but now it seems I should be comparing it to the "11" in "arm11".  Like I said in another thread, the numbering systems used to describe CPU chips have gotten too complex (and too fashionable).
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Well, perhaps I should have qualified "dinky" with a !

As its got to be big enough to take a couple of 3.5" HDDs so I appreciated that it wasn't very small, but it does look neat and tidy, so "dinky" is, in a way, appropriate.  In my mind anyway! 

I had a look at Aria and was tempted, but its going to cost as much as a Raspberry Pi, and as I've got a Sheevaplug already, I think I'll wait for the Pi.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

RaTTuS

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

P.S.  Interesting that it is actually considered slower than the Rpi.  I guess I don't understand the ARM numbering system.  I've heard the version of ARM in the Rpi referred to both as "armV6" and "arm11".  I sort of assumed that the box with ARM9 was faster than armV6, but now it seems I should be comparing it to the "11" in "arm11".  Like I said in another thread, the numbering systems used to describe CPU chips have gotten too complex (and too fashionable).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.....chitecture
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

mole125

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:46 pm

JamesH said:

Let me rephrase.

The recently employed Foundation associate, who is of the feminine gender, went on holiday. Without telling anyone. Which is why the boards are late going out.

I thought 'the girl' was quite polite given the circumstances. It may be she does not indeed want her name known by a bunch of manic geeks who WANT THEIR PI.

So it wasn't that you had just forgotten her name then

teh_orph

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:47 pm

JamesH said:

Just spoken to Liz. Apparently a bunch of boards were supposed to be sent out to developers this week

Hi James, how do developers get selected to be involved in this? (unless it's already been done?)

jamesh

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:51 pm

No idea. Whoever Eben thinks is deserving I guess, they are his boards!

spurious

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:56 pm

He doesn't give in to bribery, but if you look good in a gym slip?!  ;)

nick.mccloud

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:13 pm

JamesH said:

No idea. Whoever Eben thinks is deserving I guess, they are his boards!

The official answer is "PayPal payments with at least two 0's at the end to [censored]"

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:23 pm

AIUI, Liz is/was a lawyer (barrister?) or has some background in that area, and I"m very surprised someone with that kind of experience hasn"t figured out (i.e., spent 10 minutes) how to draw up an iron-clad waiver we developers would happily sign in a microsecond (a nanosecond, if anyone else can be in a hurry). It would certify that we"re using a board for development, we accept responsibility for any spurious emanations, we have plenty of experience in applying shielding materials and techniques in the highly unlikely event that anyone suffers interference from our board, we will cease operation until any such potential interference is resolved, and that we hold the Foundation, the Distributors, God, and the Queen harmless in any way for liability for any electromagnetic transgressions, past, present, and future. Amen. Oh, wait, it looks like I just drafted such a waiver.

We must all be getting cranky from an entire adulthood spent averaging four hours of sleep a night – at least, that"s my story, and I"m sticking to it

Oh, and there must be a pool of a couple of hundred thousand highly-motivated prospective Foundation employees who would be more than happy to fill in for the sole employee who is apparently quite clueless and could care less about customer satisfaction. How did you get infiltrated by the unions so quickly? Ah, of course, she"s also the shop steward, foreman, arbitrator, union executive, enforcer, payola clerk ...
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Kernel

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:43 pm

JamesH said:

hahahaha - so true

arturo777

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Bakul said:

A bit late to worry about this issue.

While we wait a useful project might be to add code to qemu for a '-M raspi' option that emulates 2835 peripherals logic as per the datasheet. Plus a framebuffer. Such a thing would have a number of uses.

That would be fantastic, also for low-level stuff! Not sure how difficult it would be to do though...

Jessie

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:47 am

tufty said:

Jessie said:

But the current situation frustrates me, and I can gaurantee it is diverting people to other ARM projects.  I have already moved two projects to other ARM based boards.

If you've moved them to other boards, they obviously didn't /need/ to be on the Pi, did they

From my personal viewpoint, the more people there are who wander off and implement their set top boxes on other suitable / available hardware, the better it is for the actual goals of the foundation.

Well, it has definatly cost me more money like almost 3x per project, but I also got more capable hardware.  I just had to ask myself if I was willing to wait more and I wasn't.  I had some equipment in my network that needed an upgrade.  After making the plunge I can see where it may be hard to implement some projects out there on the R-Pi and get good performance at the same time.

To be honest there are very few projects that really need to be on the Pi, but due to the cost there are quite a few that people want to be possible.  There are quite a few that will be shoe horn'ed in.  The ultimate goal is as an educational peice, but all this extra interest will help get the word out, and provide extra money to make the educational release more possible and more avalible.

Return to “General discussion”