eomer

Re: element14 payement safety to

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:15 pm

hello, i juste received notification for the availability of the rapsberry from farnell element14.

but, problem, her site asked me for my Card Security Number (CVV2)*.

ough!!

i'll sever send my Card Security Number to any merchant website!!  are they fool.??

where can i order a rapsberry pi with a real merchant who never get, share or see my card security Number ??

the Card Security Number is only for banking system! not for the merchant!

grumpyoldgit

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:17 pm

The CVV2 number is the last three digits on the back of your card. All online traders ask for that number.

eomer

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:23 pm

yes, absolutely, but from bank site, not directly from the merchant site..

grumpyoldgit

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Have you never bought anything online before?

eomer

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:33 pm

a lot, but on french website, and on american website too.

a real merchant site open a special link to banking secured system.

you will NEVER enter your CW2 number directly on merchant website, they can store it !

and reuse, or share..

too easy.

where can i find a merchant with real secured payement system?

wolfje

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Maybe in France it works different, but it is normal for an E-commerce website to ask for your CW2 (even amazon does).

grumpyoldgit

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:42 pm

I don't think you are going to find a UK based one. I buy stuff online from places like Amazon and Play.com all the time. I also buy theatre tickets, festival tickets, pay bills, etc. They always want the number from the back of the card. It may be different in France but my recollection from a camping holiday in France last summer was that supermarkets and camp sites often wanted the CW2 code if they didn't have a facility for me to key in my PIN code.

brian_reiter

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:52 pm

As far as I know its a standard security measure, it verifies that the person doing the transaction has the card in front of them.

According to Wikipedia its illegal to store this number (at least in the US) but I suspect any company caught being fraudulent wth it would soon find themselves deep in trouble.

Be thankful, for a number of sites there is a subsuequent Visa verification gateway/portal which relies on yet another password.

lew44

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:59 pm

brian_reiter said:

As far as I know its a standard security measure, it verifies that the person doing the transaction has the card in front of them.

According to Wikipedia its illegal to store this number (at least in the US) but I suspect any company caught being fraudulent wth it would soon find themselves deep in trouble.

Be thankful, for a number of sites there is a subsuequent Visa verification gateway/portal which relies on yet another password.

No major company stores that number but EVERYONE requires it.  They can't process the payment without it.  That's why Paypal and Google Pay exist.  So that smaller companies that you wouldn't trust can still sell online.

grumpyoldgit

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:07 pm

As someone from the USA is confirming this it does seem to be standard practice. If you are still not happy, I suspect your only solution is to wait for RS to put them up for sale as they said they would have a Paypal option, though I gather it is not operational yet. The alternative, which has been said to people several times; why come on here when your issue is with the company. Why don't you phone or email them to see if there is an alternative form of payment that is acceptable to them.

Tofe

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm French, and I confirm that all online transactions need this CW2. Fnac.com, amazon.fr, ldlc.com, the list goes on.

I understand your concern, but this is regular procedure. If you don't trust element14, don't buy there, or ask your bank for a temporary internet card number (some sell this service).

But be aware that you won't be able to buy a RaspberryPi without that CW2 number

eomer

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:17 pm

lew44 said:

No major company stores that number but EVERYONE requires it.  They can't process the payment without it.  That's why Paypal and Google Pay exist.  So that smaller companies that you wouldn't trust can still sell online.

exactly. all french website merchant who want to work have the link to securised bankink payement for credit card in line.

no one ask you directly for your credit card security datas.

they receive payement confirmation from banking system.

its just a security reason.

the banking system manage money, the merchant manage the order.

i'm afraid about other old system.

well, i resend my question.

where can i found a merchant who can sell rapsberry pi with real payement security.?

grumpyoldgit

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:22 pm

You have chosen not to listen to the answers and solutions given to you, including a fellow countryman. You are not going to find what you want as it doesn't exist. Please re-look through the various solutions given to you and find one that is acceptable.

Justanick

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Wait for RS, they seems to support alternatives to credit card payments.

The Pi should also be cheaper from there for you, if you are french. (€)

JoeDaStudd

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:47 pm

As has been explained its standard practice.

As long as the merchant using a encrypted (and verified) payment page you'll be fine.

If you still don't trust Farnell, wait until RS have there Raspberry Pi store up and running, they will be offering Paypal (I take it you class Paypal as a real payment system)

jbanks6424

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:59 pm

I just want to add my tiny bit of input, but don't won't to add fuel to the fire.(I hope)

As a merchant. We can CHOOSE to require the CVV code. Our system asks for it, but does not require it. So....if none is entered, or it is entered wrong, the charge is not denied, but it is flagged in our system for review. All we REALLY need to charge a card is the card number and the expiration date. We get to choose to verify the CVV and billing address. I believe we have to pay a higher rate to process the transaction if we don't use the CVV.

Back to the issue at hand. All companies accepting credit cards are subject to PCI Compliance.  We have to employ an outside vendor to scan our systems for PCI compliance. I'm sure a major company like Farnell/Newark does as well. With that said, these scans are only looking for known issues and there is NO true guarantee of security anywhere anytime.

It is a fact that ALL major ecommerce businesses are requiring the CVV code.

We often have customers call, that don't want to place an order online or they don't want to give out their CVV code and we just take their order and run the transaction without the CVV. I hate to stereotype....but it's usually people older than me.

john_wage

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:14 pm

That's exactly why you have PayPal and similar services.. you pay with your credit card.. but the vendor doesn't even get your card NUMBER! It's Brilliant!!!!

And any vendor who don't accept PayPal are complete and utter idiots! I'm sorry to say. It's a freaking no-brainer!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:56 pm

john_wage said:

That's exactly why you have PayPal and similar services.. you pay with your credit card.. but the vendor doesn't even get your card NUMBER! It's Brilliant!!!!

And any vendor who don't accept PayPal are complete and utter idiots! I'm sorry to say. It's a freaking no-brainer!

On the other hand I think Paypal take a cut of the transaction (more than a credit card?), so the vendor gets less money. Which makes it less of a no-brainer.

Note that credit cards and their numbers going to vendors have been around a lot longer than Paypal.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Justanick

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:14 pm

JamesH said:

john_wage said:

On the other hand I think Paypal take a cut of the transaction (more than a credit card?), so the vendor gets less money. Which makes it less of a no-brainer.

Note that credit cards and their numbers going to vendors have been around a lot longer than Paypal.

You are right, Paypal wants also a service tax.

The most credit cards has the service, to get a bill at the end of a month with every transfers you have done with card. At least in Germany you can chancel a transfer, after the bill,  and the money will be transfered back to you.

john_wage

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:39 pm

The minuscule transaction fees that PayPal takes is easily accounted for by the increased number of customers they would get, because PayPal is also a commonly preferred method of payment for those who don't even own a credit or debit card since you can use e-bank transfer with PayPal (obviously a 2-3 business day lag).

And about disputing purchases with Credit Cards, yes most banks offer this service, it's the most essential tool to protect against CC frauds, however if you would abuse this service to dispute a legit purchase, you would almost certainly lose your credit card and you wouldn't be able to get one at other banks either.

rew

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:49 pm

To accept credit cards, small companies have to take a contract with a "payment provider". These make websites that look like a bank. So when you order from such a small company, they will redirect you to the payment provider who will ask for your credit card and CVC (that's what it's called here).

Bigger companies, apparently Farnell included, can work with the creditcard company directly. So they will have to ask for the verification number themselves.

If you don't dare to give Farnell your creditcard number and/or verfication code, then Farnell will not be able to charge your credit card. And they will not send a Raspberry pi to you. Simple.

Actually giving your CVC to one of those credit card processing companies is quite dangerous compared to Farnell. If Farnell sticks to the rules, they will throw away your credit card details as soon as possible after finishing the transaction. So if a hacker hacks into Farnell just a few credit card numbers will be there (maybe hundreds, maybe thousands).

But if the hacker gets into the credit card processing company, they will have a MUCH larger loot. Moreover, even IF nothing gets stored, they could tap the live "feed" of credit cards and steal that!

My advice: don't worry, be happy.
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

Justanick

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:11 pm

john_wage said:

And about disputing purchases with Credit Cards, yes most banks offer this service, it's the most essential tool to protect against CC frauds, however if you would abuse this service to dispute a legit purchase, you would almost certainly lose your credit card and you wouldn't be able to get one at other banks either.

Why should anybody abuse this option?

If I  got the product or service, I will pay for it.

john_wage

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Justanick said:

Why should anybody abuse this option?

You'd be surprised at all the stupid shit some people try to pull off..

I realize how awful it sounds and I'm all for that "all men are equal" stuff but it's a sad fact that a great proportion of people aren't fortunate to be born with a proper brain.

Welcome to the real world

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:13 pm

john_wage said:

If actual costs were forwarded to shopper it would be interesting to know what percentage of shoppers would choose Paypal with 4% markup.

Phil Spiegel

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Also, I have now been required to register my current-account with them, with my credit card only debited if they've emptied my current account first!

As I only use 1 credit card nowadays, I cannot use their alternative suggestion of registering a second card!   If they're taking 4% – which is more than the credit card company, why am I being 'forced' to give them cash and lose the protection I gain by purchasing via my Credit Card?

(And the credit card is used as a 'Charge Card': automatically debited for the full amount each month so it incurs no charges   ….. so I can't claim mis-sold PPI either )

Return to “General discussion”