chrisb

Request: Minimal Raspbian image

Wed May 29, 2013 3:16 pm

It would be nice to have an "official" minimal Raspbian image that boots to command line. It would be good for servers, where a full graphical desktop + extras isn't required.

chrisb

Re: Request: Minimal Raspbian image

Wed May 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Also it would be useful if the download page stated the file size of each download.

RaTTuS

Wed May 29, 2013 3:27 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

chrisb

Wed May 29, 2013 3:49 pm

It sounds like that version still has a desktop, in fact it would be the same download size, they just eliminated the empty space from the file system.

chrisb

Wed May 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Though from that thread I did find http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=14728 the 100MB so called "Raspbian Server Edition", would be nice to see an official version.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 29, 2013 3:57 pm

We try and avoid too many official versions.

Although I use stock Raspbian, and have never used the desktop (boot to console) so what we have now will probably fit the bill anyway.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

chrisb

Wed May 29, 2013 4:12 pm

jamesh wrote:We try and avoid too many official versions.

Although I use stock Raspbian, and have never used the desktop (boot to console) so what we have now will probably fit the bill anyway.
I understand the problems of version proliferation, but a minimal install would really just be a subset of the current full desktop install. The actual software would be the same, but people would download 100MB or so installer rather than 500MB or so, and once installed would have more free space. Most linux distributions support a minimal install/iso for this reason. (Yes, a user could download the full desktop version, install it and then remove as much as possible, but that takes longer and is more complicated)

DeeJay

Wed May 29, 2013 4:53 pm

Another thread that might be of interest -

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 20#p343120
It won't provide any benefit over raspbian, since this is still raspbian. It just doesn't come with the bloat that 'the' raspbian images have. It's handy if you want a minimal distro without rolling your own or removing packages. Great for a headless server set up or small sd cards.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

pluggy

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:02 pm

Install standard Raspdian
run my script :

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# Stephen's Raspberry Pi Mimimalist install from standard Raspdian Image
apt-get update
apt-get purge xserver* -y
apt-get purge ^x11 -y
apt-get purge ^libx -y
apt-get purge ^lx -y
apt-get purge samba* -y
apt-get autoremove -y
apt-get upgrade -y
apt-get clean
Nothing magic just takes a lot of the X stuff out.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

technix

Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:45 pm

I am still in need for such minimal images for headless systems that is only accessed either over SSH or over UART. Currently I take the official Raspbian image which is a 1.5GB download and expands to a 3.3GB image, purge all GUI and not-so-used parts and shrink the image down to ~800MB and build from that point. It takes a long time to throw away all the GUI.

To me, as a server, even a router, the GUI stack's existence is useless and does more harm than benefit as they added attacking vectors to my system. Servers and routers are supposed to be security hardened.

Usually my final image is about the same size as the official, but with the GUI replaced with a full LAMP (Debian jessie/sid, apache2, mariadb-server, php5) stack or a router basics stack (Debian jessie/sid, bridge-utils, vlan, ufw, ntop, pppoeconf, nginx, miniupnpd)

andrum99

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:14 pm

A big user of space on the SD card is Mathematica. I use the following to remove it and Java from my Raspbian install as I have no need for them:

sudo apt-get purge wolfram-engine java-common oracle-java8-jdk
Note that versions of Raspbian before the 2014-09-09 release have Java 7 installed instead of Java 8 so you would need to alter the above command accordingly.

I also use

sudo apt-get clean
after each time I update the system.

andrum99

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:21 pm

technix wrote:I am still in need for such minimal images for headless systems that is only accessed either over SSH or over UART. Currently I take the official Raspbian image which is a 1.5GB download and expands to a 3.3GB image, purge all GUI and not-so-used parts and shrink the image down to ~800MB and build from that point. It takes a long time to throw away all the GUI.
Bear in mind that the Raspberry Pi Foundation's primary focus is on education. I think it is unlikely that you will see the foundation releasing an official minimal server version of Raspbian, but there is nothing to stop anyone else from producing a minimal distro. There is a tool to build Raspbian distros available at https://github.com/asb/spindle.

DougieLawson

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:24 pm

The best thing I've found it raspbian-ua-netinst. That gets a very minimal Wheezy or Jessie system and you can add packages from the normal Raspbian.org repositories.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

goci

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Would be great if Mr Upton's team consider this;
As Raspberry pi users learn more stuff on the Pi, they would want to customize it their way based on the very basic minimal distro.

What do you guys think of minbian? ... Seems like a good compromise and seems to be quite loyal at not tampering with the out of the box official image

http://minibianpi.wordpress.com/about/

Will be putting more comments on this Minibian soon as I download it and give it a go.

emgi

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:45 pm

How about my all-time favorite: http://www.slitaz.org/en/ ? 8-)
Since recently they are also developing a RPi version.
If you are looking for a minimal yet stable linux OS, this is a viable candidate.
The no-desktop version is: slitaz-rpi-base-20140329 (22 Mb)

/emgi

Return to “General discussion”