bilbo_b

Re: Must i build my own kernel or can i use a x86 Kernel?

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:24 pm

I would like to use Debian as a Mail Server on a Raspberry Pi. Is it possible to use a out of the Box x86 Kernel or must i compile my own Kernel?

obarthelemy

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:31 pm

Inbetween: since the Pi uses an ARM processor, not x86, you can't use an x86 OS.

But, the Pi's ARM architecture is supported by Debian, and the Pi specifically is supported too with a Pi-specific variant.

So you don't have to compile a specific kernel's just use either

- Debian's standard one and tack your own Pi tweaks to it,

- or use the Debian/Pi distro, which should run out of the box. As far as I know, Debian/Pi isn't Quite There Yet, but then, neither is the Pi ^^

There's a list of arm-debian packages in my sig, too.

bilbo_b

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Ahhh ok. But than i have a Problem. i would like to use Zarafa as my Mailserver. The server itself is not the Problem, but i must Use the Zarafa Outlook Connector, which is closed source and only available for x86 and AMD64.

So i must look for a alternative thing for me.

bbramble

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:31 pm

bilbo_b said:

Ahhh ok. But than i have a Problem. i would like to use Zarafa as my Mailserver. The server itself is not the Problem, but i must Use the Zarafa Outlook Connector, which is closed source and only available for x86 and AMD64.

So i must look for a alternative thing for me.

Zarafa seem to recommend 1GB of RAM and dual core processor as a starting point, so it seems unlikely it will work well, if at all.

Whilst it is possible to run a standard SMTP/POP3/IMAP setup on a Pi, the lack of memory and the limited storage access (SD or USB) is likely to severely limit performance - mail servers generally like lots of fast storage and plenty of memory for caching.

bilbo_b

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:30 am

Thats not a problem. I use zarafa since more than 6 Months now with only 256 MB RAM and a normal Single Core CPU in a VMWare virtual Machine without any performance Problems. I have only 2 Users, maybe there are 3 later this year, but not more.

mars-solutions

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Hello there, well at least I can say that you can compile Zarafa for the PI successfully :)
-> http://www.mars-solutions.de/node/226

It's no rocket, but it does its job...

Greets,
Sebastian

Borner

Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi,

the last post is from august.
Does anybody know, if zarafa (and z-push) is available as compiled Raspbian package?
I like to backup my android devices to my raspberry, which should be possible witz zarafa and z-push.

Thank you,
Borner

Return to “General discussion”